ecoobsessive
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1725

Re: Leafs Over Texas!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Texans who have not yet purchased: did you know you may be able to get $3,500 credit toward your electric vehicle or other clean car (apparently even used!)
It's hard to qualify (this is Texas, after all) but check out this website:
http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/mo ... clean.html
Martha
Red SL + QC (hoping to have a QC in SA some day)
solarpowered by 5.52 kW PV with unreliable Enphase microinverters

Pipcecil

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 am

This is a great program - called aircheck texas. My work implements this in the North Texas area. There are some strict criteria to get the money:

- There is an income requirement, 70k for a standard family of 4 or less. So if you are solid middle class/upper midd
- Must be in an air quality non-attainment area (major metro areas of Austin, DFW, Houston - its done by county)
- Current car must have failed an air quality inspection OR be 10 years or older
- Must trade older car in for destruction - cannot sell it

There are MANY cars on the list and most are just better than average MPG gas cars. LEAFs are on there though! Depending on the replacement car depends on the amount you receive (the newest cars with the best MPG get the most money).

If you qualify it is a great plan. The money only exist until it runs out - which usually happens in Septemberish as it is first come first serve. So do it sooner rather than later!
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

ZachMcDonald

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi folks,

I'm preparing an article about home charging in Texas for Plugincars.com and was wondering if there are any TXU Energy customers here? If so, I'd love to talk to you for a few minutes. Please message me if you're interested.

Thanks!

mkjayakumar
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm

I know a friend of mine who is a Leaf owner and a TXU customer. He apparently has signed up for free night plans (long before he got his Leaf). He is not in the forums, but I can ask him any questions you may have and relay it back.

Jay
2011 Leaf, 30K miles, returned after 24 month lease.
Currently leasing 2014 Leaf SV.

Pipcecil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:32 am

I would help but I am in a forced electricty provider area (aka a co-op) and have NO choice of electricity company and basicly get gouged on price every day. So sad...wish I could help. I never understood how co-ops were exempt from the power choice that all other commercial providers were required to do. I think the reasoning is because I am in a co-op that can vote on its members and shouldn't make a "profit" that its better and I don't need a choice - regardless if said co-op decides to charge more than any other electric provider, its better...right?

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 am

Pipcecil wrote:I would help but I am in a forced electricty provider area (aka a co-op) and have NO choice of electricity company and basicly get gouged on price every day.

I think if I were in that situation, I'd be installing solar panels, wind turbine, etc..
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

vrwl
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 8597

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:30 am

ZachMcDonald wrote:Hi folks,

I'm preparing an article about home charging in Texas for Plugincars.com and was wondering if there are any TXU Energy customers here? If so, I'd love to talk to you for a few minutes. Please message me if you're interested.

Thanks!

Sorry, no TXU here. We've got CoServ and it is my understanding that we can't switch to something else either.
Vicki
Get Your EV License Plate Frames at EVPlates.com
2011 Silver SL-Mfg 8/11-Purch 6/12
19630 miles/10 Bars/4.0kWh/mi
205 GID at 100%/51.37 Ahr/78% SOH/59.91% Hx

Jim
Delivery Date: 03 May 2013

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 am

ZachMcDonald wrote:Hi folks,

Thanks!

I have TXU, but I rarely charge at home. I use the trickle charge when I do. I have an eVgo subscription so I QC whenever I get low. Usually a couple times a week.
Jim

2013 Model S w/charge package
Metallic Slate

Pipcecil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:36 am

adric22 wrote:I think if I were in that situation, I'd be installing solar panels, wind turbine, etc..

Wish it were that easy, well cheap really.

Wind turbine won't work because I live in a neighborhood - the wind vortexes that occur from houses being close together create a non-standard wind flow that changes direct too much and/or slows down the wind speed. For a turbine to work (even a rooftop one) you need, on average about 5 acres of clear space surrounding it.

Solar panels are just too expensive. My home is quite energy efficient and average less than 1300 kWh per month (thats with 2 plug-ins requiring one full volt charge per day and at least a 66% leaf charge per day). Rate of return for solar is ~18-20 years. Hard to justify that when I can do other home energy efficieny improvements that give me a faster rate of return (heat pump water heater, solar screens, high efficiency windows, storm doors, replacement HVAC unit, LED light conversions, etc). They need a serious drop in price for me to consider them.

Plasbot
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2013

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 am

New Leaf - 'S' owner here as of last Wednesday.
It came with the DC charger and we found a quick-charging station at a local walgreens:
http://instagram.com/p/fnj6XrPtVV/
They said we have a year of free evgo charging.

We really would like to take it on a trip next week from Fort Worth to Houston.
Is this possible? I haven't figured out how to locate all/any of the quick-charge stations in between DFW and Houston. We don't have access to Carwings so we downloaded some apps, but I'm not sure I trust them enough.

Return to “Central USA”