sn470
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5060

Texas Level 3 EVSEs

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:03 am

I recently purchased my Leaf knowing I was purchasing a commuter car and I was limited by range. However now that I have two weeks in the car, I want to drive it more! Living in Austin we make the trip to Houston quite a bit so naturally I was wondering how I can get involved to help get level 3 locations installed on high traffic routes. Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, etc.

In my research I came across an effort by the Center for Commercialization of Electric Technologies (CCET). CCET was established in 2005 to "promote the collaboration for the purpose of enhancing the safety, reliability, security, and efficiency of the Texas electric transmission and distribution system"

Here is a link to their Texas Triangle Plug-In EV Project: http://electrictechnologycenter.com/texas_triangle_project.html

They have not posted a project timeline but as part of Phase 2 they will be hosting public forums and soliciting feedback. I realize this is just a study but at least it is a step in the right direction to getting Level 3 chargers.

Another interesting event is EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) is hosting their Plug-In 2012 conference in San Antonio this year. http://www.plugin2012.com

Pipcecil

Re: Leafs Over Texas!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 am

I remember them getting the grant for the research and was so happy! It really would be nice to have something similar to the IH 5 project going in the northwest.

Unfortuantely, the grant was only for research so moving forward with implementation or taking action from their findings will take money from other sources. I do know that eVgo, the current opperators of the level 3 stations in Houston and Dallas do have plans to maybe (hopefully) put charges between their two areas of opperation - DFW and Houston, which would electricfy the IH 45 corridor. Unfortunately you can only use that service with a monthly fee, but if you are already using it in Houston or Dallas, you might as well get the benefit of going between the two!

The difficult part right now is 3 charging companies (4 kindof) and their particular agreements/arrangements:

eVgo has the rights for Houston area and Dallas area for Level 2 and 3 (biggest is of course level 3). Their main focus is Houston from those two. This would probably preclude other partners installing level 3 in those areas (eVgo probably has some kind of deal in place I imagine).

Blink's deal only serves DFW and Houston (it was probably part of their grant) - the focus seems to be more on DFW (based on # of evse).

ChargePoint deal is directly with the City of Austin and the surround areas (including San Antonio) the government grant basicly covers the Austin area. This is why the ONLY chargers you see in the Austin area are all chargepoint. Houston has some and DFW barely has a few.

GE - more independent, its piecemail at best, but they have a few stations in Houston, one in College Station and a few in DFW.

So you can easily see the alignment, there is overlap but not much:

DFW: Blink
Austin-San Antonio: ChargePoint
Houston: eVgo

Now try to get them to communicate to see who would be in charge of the Level 3's on the trinagle? HAHAH. Its going to be a rough road. Here is my guess. eVgo will do the IH 45 route and CCET will accept that as that portion. For the DFW to San Antonio will be the purchase of the Aerovironment level 3 or blink's level 3. I would say chargepoint would do it, but they don't have a level 3 yet. Houston to San Antonio - hmmm probably the same for the IH 35E corridor...we shall see how it turns out!
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Re: Texas Level 3 EVSEs

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am

sn470 wrote:I recently purchased my Leaf knowing I was purchasing a commuter car and I was limited by range. However now that I have two weeks in the car, I want to drive it more! Living in Austin we make the trip to Houston quite a bit so naturally I was wondering how I can get involved to help get level 3 locations installed on high traffic routes. Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, etc.

I'm not sure how useful that would be.. I live in Dallas and occasionally travel to Austin or Houston. I've looked into the distances before and it just not practical.

Distance from DF/W to Austin = 180 miles
Distance from DF/W to Houston = 230 miles
Distance from Austin to Houston = 150 miles
Distance from Austin to San Antonio = 70 miles

OK. Lets assume 50 miles range on highway drives, with quick charge I'd have to stop 4 or 5 times to recharge on my way from DF/W to Houston. That would be 2.5 hours of extra time for the drive. Even from DF/W to Austin is pretty tough needing to stop at least 3 times.

My Leaf doesn't even have a QC port. I've looked into the possibility of driving it to Austin and having to stop somewhere in between. If I stayed off the major highways or drive 55 mph or less I could probably make it with a single charge somewhere in the middle. But I'd have to wait 7 hours to get it.

I could come closer to seeing the trip between Austin and Houston or Austin and San Antonio. The DF/W area is just too darned far.

Maybe in the future with EV's having real highway ranges of 100 miles, it might be more practical.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

mkjayakumar
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 am

All this quick charging infrastructure makes sense, only if the a) the range for EVs increases to atleast 150 miles, and b) quick charging can be done in 15 minutes of less that will give us 150 miles range.

Technology will for sure catch up to that, but we are not there yet. So all this excitement of DC QC infrastructure at this time is misplaced. Perhaps we can make a case for having the infrastructure ready, when the EV technology catches up. Neither the Leaf or the Volt is practical to make use the QCs in any shape at this time. Even if if we have a QC in every gas station today, it wont do help the current owners, or increase the adoption rate of the current generation of EVs.

To me, just as a simple commute car the Leaf is a great vehicle. I don't care about the QCs even if none existed, except on those occasions when I planned badly and in risk of getting stranded.

-Jay

ecoobsessive
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1725

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:17 pm

San Antonio: There is a free showing of "Revenge of the Electric Car" followed by panel discussion hosted by Texas Public Radio on Tuesday at 7:00 pm. Details at http://www.tpr.org Guests for the panel discussion include reps. from AACOG, CPS Energy, GM - probably alot of Volt people there, and Chesapeake Energy. You have to make reservations, see website.
Martha
Red SL + QC (hoping to have a QC in SA some day)
solarpowered by 5.52 kW PV with unreliable Enphase microinverters

ecoobsessive
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1725

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Ok Texas people, I want to know why I am one of the few Texas people who have lost a capacity bar. Specifically, I want to know if my parking in the sun has been a contributing factor, because other than that, I have been very gentle on the car. Have you counted your capacity bars recently? Do you have more than 13K miles and park in the sun? If you don't want to post on the forum I understand - send me a personal message. Thanks!

San Antonio is not hotter than central or north Texas in the summer, but we probably do have a little warmer spring and fall which may contribute.
Martha
Red SL + QC (hoping to have a QC in SA some day)
solarpowered by 5.52 kW PV with unreliable Enphase microinverters

leafwing
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0573

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:14 pm

ecoobsessive wrote:Ok Texas people, I want to know why I am one of the few Texas people who have lost a capacity bar. Specifically, I want to know if my parking in the sun has been a contributing factor, because other than that, I have been very gentle on the car. Have you counted your capacity bars recently? Do you have more than 13K miles and park in the sun? If you don't want to post on the forum I understand - send me a personal message. Thanks!

San Antonio is not hotter than central or north Texas in the summer, but we probably do have a little warmer spring and fall which may contribute.

I have lost one capacity bar. My daily driving and parking time is no more than three to four hours a day. The car is always in the garage with low SOC. I always charge it to 80% unless I want to drive more than 50 miles ( which is no more than once every week. When the car is fully charged, it will not sit more than an hour in the garage. I drive gently and average 5 m/kw on the dashboard (carwing says 6.7 m/kw). I avoid highways whenever I can in order to maximize my range. I never QCed the car. I feel your pain and I hope other driver won't experience the same issue.
Lost the first capacity bar on 7/04/2012.
Lost the second bar on 6/26/2013.
Lost the third bar on 6/17/2014.
Lost the Fourth Capacity bar on 6/7/2015.

mkjayakumar
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Of course we have Ravi100 from DFW area who lost a bar and said goodbye to the Leaf.
2011 Leaf, 30K miles, returned after 24 month lease.
Currently leasing 2014 Leaf SV.

mckemie
Delivery Date: 25 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1008

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:27 am

ecoobsessive wrote:Ok Texas people, I want to know why I am one of the few Texas people who have lost a capacity bar.

I suspect that anyone who operated their Leaf in Texas last summer has lost significant battery capacity. No matter what their "bars" say. I took delivery last June and now have 17k+ miles. Last summer (~100 100 deg days) we drove many 90+ mile days dictating 100% charges. The car was driven mostly in the mornings and parked in the shade in the afternoons.

I got my SOC/gid meter a few months ago and was surprised at the indicated low capacity. ~250 (instead of ~280) at 100%. Since the Leaf instrumentation is so crappy (apparently designed to deny crucial information to the owner), the "bars" mean little. I am now at about 238-9 for 100% and 197-199 for 80%. I am being forced to do more 100% charges than I would with a full capacity battery.

I have hopes that Nissan will fix the problem:
http://is.gd/dEKkVE
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/107 ... ting-leafs

I don't have a "quick charge" port and have never seen a "quick charge" station.
VIN 1008 delivered 5/24/11
Turned 10k trouble-free miles 12/13/11
83% battery capacity at 18k miles 8/4/12
Silver plain-jane
30 miles south of Austin, Texas

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:58 am

I have not lost any capacity bars yet.
Owned car since March of 2011
12,000 miles
Charged to 100% every day
Parked out in hot sun all day at work
Parked in garage at night
Charge in the evenings back to 100% using 240V

Although I haven't lost any bars, I believe I have lost some range. I haven't done any scientific tests to be sure. But it seems like the car as anywhere from 5 to 10 fewer miles than it did last year on the GOM when returning from longer trips.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

Return to “Central USA”