redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Re: Chicagoland area

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 am

bigtlb wrote:
redLEAF wrote:First PR notice I've seen by a Chicago area Nissan dealer ... I bought a car from a VW dealer in Libertyville back in '88 (a Brazilian made VW Fox) but haven't had any recent experience out that way. Anyone else stop by this dealer ?

http://www.prlog.org/10772338-chicago-nissan-leaf-to-be-synchronized-with-smartphones.html

Greetings All!

I am new to the board (just registered today). I have put my location on the Leaf map though. I have an early Leaf reservation, and can't wait! I've been waiting for a decent EV for years (I lurked on the Aptera Forum forever, but gave up on that vehicle about a year ago).

I am mildly concerned about what the winter weather (and road conditions) will do to battery range. I have a 60 mile round-trip daily commute.

I have used Libertyville VW for an oil change in my 2006 Beetle TDI, they were very friendly and prompt. This is near my workplace, so I would definitely consider them for purchase. If they get a charging point (maybe a fast charger) that would be sweet! It would also alleviate range anxiety for those Gurnee Mills runs from downtown.

BTW: I still plan on keeping my diesel beetle (can't beat 40 mpg) for those long trips.

Welcome -- Welcome -- Welcome

With how late the LEAF will finally arrive here I'm pleased to see there are more of us from the midwest still interested !!! :D

On your comments about Libertyville VW (it's actually Liberty Auto Plaza as you'll see below)

I wasn't sure that the Nissan dealer was connected with VW as when I bought my '88 it was on the other side of the street --- it is however now as:

http://www.libertyautoplaza.com/

so your more recent experience (not sure when they merged) should hold true. I actually also owned a TDI New Beetle (the first year out, a '98); it was a great little car but we outgrew it (back seat is really just for kids). Being a diesel, it did hold its value quite well and traded it in on a (new at the time) '06 Mazda3 5-door hatch which may be the car the Nissan LEAF replaces when they do finally arrive out this way. The Mazda3 doesn't get the mileage of the TDI but it holds tons of stuff and carries 4 adult size people with relative comfort and has proven to be very inexpensive to maintain versus the VW.

As far as the add on post as to what other EV's were being considered, the Tesla Model S sedan would have been great but I was hoping for a more main stream mfg (like Nissan) to become available. We do own another very small car (an '08 smart fortwo coupe) which will go to my son here very soon -- the smart ED (pardon the puns -- ED is for Electric Drive not the other thing, they really should have stuck to EV) looked promising but at such a high lease only price, just not a good value. The new to U.S. Fiat 500 EV will be out later than the LEAF (2012/13?) and others should be to market from other carmakers but nothing appears to come close to what Nissan has that I've seen yet.

As far as the cold weather -- not a concern for me as it will typically be stored overnight in a heated garage while it's charging, I have heard that Nissan is actively testing how extreme cold will effect battery range, etc. so perhaps that's another reason for the delay to colder weather states (although TN does get the occasional frost and snow, it's nowhere near as cold as Chicago most times).

Being a TDI owner, I'm sure you've properly prepared for winters with anti-gel additives (although the 1.9 TDI engine has fuel pre-heaters); the LEAF won't need these as its a pure EV but many in the far extreme north still 'plug-in' their engine heaters so the crankcase oil doesn't thicken so much -- could be some similar cautions for the LEAF but still too early to tell. I would think the cold will simply be something that will shorten the range (like extreme heat) and nothing else.
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:28 am

What kind of power (voltage, current) do crankcase heater sockets provide?
Likely 120v, but what current or wattage?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 pm

The car crankcase/engine block ones are 120V and vary on watt output but typical ones are 600W to 900W; those used in HVAC are 115V/208V/277V and 70W and are used to keep refrig components from freezing. If you've ever been to northern climates, you'll see a standard AC plug hanging out from the front grill of some cars and especially pick-up trucks that reside outside and plug-in outlets on posts outside some stores are available. Great wiki-article with a link to a mfg brochure below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

I've seen these throughout Canada, the Dakota's, Alaska as well as other areas -- on many ICE cars, an engine block heater is a necessary option if the vehicle stays out during sub-zero weather for extended periods of time.

I kind of know what you're thinking -- if only it was higher voltage! Well, some RV parks have the necessary higher voltage (I've seen stories of someone traveling the west coast in a Tesla Roadster) but with typical regular line voltage it would just take too long.
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Well, they might not be individually fused/brakered, so the Level 1 EVSE (120v) might be able to draw 12 amps (1440 watts), as if it was two heaters?

Instant infrastructure to plug in "many" places?

And, it that works, maybe one can draw 15 or 16 amps, if the LEAF will "eat" that much.

If possible, that gets one a very useful half-charge during an 8-hour workday. Or, with the 12-amps, a helpful 1/3 charge!
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

bigtlb
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2011

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Just stopped by Libertyville VW to get my Beetle TDI worked on. While I was there I asked the Nissan guys about their absence as a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer in the "Find a Dealer" section of the dashboard (not red push pins or location marked Liberty Auto Plaza).

They said they most certainly were a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer, already had some preorders, and if there was any problems choosing them on the dashboard to let them know. The guy I talked to said they also took delivery of one of the first 3 GT-R's in the country when they came out.

But, the error might be due to the fact that they are known by multiple names (and have the web sites to prove it).

Libertyville Nissan
Liberty Auto Plaza
Liberty Import Center

The dashboard only lists Liberty Import Center, but when I called Nissan Leaf support, the rep said the site might not be up to date. Since, it allowed me to pick them anyway (with the blue push pin), that's what I did.

The manager I spoke with DID confirm, the cold weather package is one of the reasons for the later rollout in Illinois.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Delivered: 12/28/11
EVSE: 10/24/2011 (AeroVironment)

Ualdriver

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 pm

bigtlb wrote:Just stopped by Libertyville VW to get my Beetle TDI worked on. While I was there I asked the Nissan guys about their absence as a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer in the "Find a Dealer" section of the dashboard (not red push pins or location marked Liberty Auto Plaza).

They said they most certainly were a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer, already had some preorders, and if there was any problems choosing them on the dashboard to let them know. The guy I talked to said they also took delivery of one of the first 3 GT-R's in the country when they came out.

But, the error might be due to the fact that they are known by multiple names (and have the web sites to prove it).

Libertyville Nissan
Liberty Auto Plaza
Liberty Import Center

The dashboard only lists Liberty Import Center, but when I called Nissan Leaf support, the rep said the site might not be up to date. Since, it allowed me to pick them anyway (with the blue push pin), that's what I did.

The manager I spoke with DID confirm, the cold weather package is one of the reasons for the later rollout in Illinois.

Interesting thanks. They're 2nd closest to me. Did they say they'd sell for invoice like Fontana? :)

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 am

bigtlb wrote:Just stopped by Libertyville VW to get my Beetle TDI worked on. While I was there I asked the Nissan guys about their absence as a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer in the "Find a Dealer" section of the dashboard (not red push pins or location marked Liberty Auto Plaza).

Libertyville Nissan
Liberty Auto Plaza
Liberty Import Center

How could they have 'pre-orders'? There's no way, unless they're counting people walking in and plopping down a deposit which will do them no good unless they make a reservation with deposit on Nissan's website.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:27 am

Ualdriver wrote:Interesting thanks. They're 2nd closest to me. Did they say they'd sell for invoice like Fontana? :)

Fontana is selling at $1K off MSRP, not at Invoice. North Bay Nissan was the first to sell at 5% off MSRP, and Rairdon's of Auburn, WA was the first to offer $100 below Invoice plus accessories at Invoice.

Ualdriver

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:56 am

leaffan wrote:
Ualdriver wrote:Interesting thanks. They're 2nd closest to me. Did they say they'd sell for invoice like Fontana? :)

Fontana is selling at $1K off MSRP, not at Invoice. North Bay Nissan was the first to sell at 5% off MSRP, and Rairdon's of Auburn, WA was the first to offer $100 below Invoice plus accessories at Invoice.

OK thanks. Rairdon seems to be the cheapest. They're my favorite dealer now :)

bigtlb
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2011

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 am

leaffan wrote:How could they have 'pre-orders'? There's no way, unless they're counting people walking in and plopping down a deposit which will do them no good unless they make a reservation with deposit on Nissan's website.

I am not sure about that. Unless he meant they had placed advanced orders to have on-hand inventory when the Leaf's were available. It sounded strange to me, but I didn't have that much time to discuss the issue in detail, because I had to get back to work.

The title on the survey e-mail from them is:

Curt Biron
Sales Manager
Liberty Import Center

This was the person I spoke with.

I will just be happy with a hassle free MSRP dealer. My major concern is having a dealership close to either my work or home, that I can trust and get to quickly, if there is a problem.

Browsing Nissan dealership reviews in my area has been disheartening. I understand that the majority of the people who make a review are those who have an axe to grind. But, the Nissan dealers seem to get more negative reviews than comparable VW dealers I have checked on the same systems.

At least with Liberty, I have already gone to them for VW service and have come away happy each time. They were professional, courteous, and offered me a complimentary loaner when they wouldn't have the work done the same day.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Delivered: 12/28/11
EVSE: 10/24/2011 (AeroVironment)

Return to “Central USA”