mazdaboi
Delivery Date: 21 Sep 2012

DC, MD, VA, WV EV Owners Gather here!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi Im Justin, a Local Native to the DMV area as I lived in MD for most of my life then Military brought be south to Virginia.

I picked up a 2012 Nissan Leaf SL a few weeks back, met Kayne at the National Plug-In day in Manassas VA. Looking to get all the DMV owners together and expand this out to the iMeiv, Tesla, Volt and Ford owners who have EV's...Maybe even the plug-in hyrbid community to coordinate gatherings, meets and activities a few times each year.

Background: I have been in the Mazda community and still actively involved for the past 10 years, organizing meets, weekend trips, closed course road races and scenic drives. Not leaving the Mazda world, but coming back into reality where gas prices soar, I fell upon a Leaf at the local dealership and wanted to try something new. Now that I'm hooked I would like to take my past expierence and share it with the EV/P-I Hybrid community.

Looking for introductions from everyone, and interests as I would want to organize a DMV meeting once a month or once every other month (locations TBD, looking at switching between MD and VA to accomodate all, Near Plugs of course) During these meetings we will discuss what local events are going on/upcoming with brainstorming of Fall or spring picnics, camping trips, beach drives, etc.

I'm all about talking and showing off new technology to people who are not educated enough or don't agree (in this case EV's) are capable of being commuters in the area. So I am going to take a trip to numerous local dealers talking with the sales personnel to explain to them how I max my driving distance at 72miles RT every day and still enjoy the car, so if they have any customers or potential customers who dont believe they can do it, I can help explain how I, and everyone else can accomplish commuting with an EV. Long story short, if we get together and help promote the EV world we could possibly see some L3 DC chargers in our area out of a larger amount of EV's or more L2's.

So lets get this party started!
2013 Leaf S - White (Current Town Commuter)
Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE
2013 Volt Base - Cyber Gray (Traded)
2012 Leaf SL- Glacier White Pearl (Traded)
ECOtality, Blink L2 EVSE (Sold)

mazdaboi

Re: DC, MD, VA, WV EV Owners Gather here!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Lots of views and no posts? :roll:
Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE

rumpole
Delivery Date: 19 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15266

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 am

mazdaboi wrote:

So lets get this party started!

Hi Justin,

There are several ev groups in the area. http://www.evadc.org, The Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington DC should probably be where you start, and you just happen to be in luck, since our next meeting is this Wednesday, 10/17/12 at the Silver Spring Public Library http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps ... ss.asp#map EVADC has about 5 Leafs, 4 Volts, several conversions, EV motorcycles, electric bikes, a couple of Tesla Roadsters, a couple of Tesla S's (on order) the first Smart ED in the US (since moved out to Arizona), and 3 Th!nks. Several of these guys live in N. Virginia. We also have three folks on the Maryland Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council, planning ev charging for the state.

I just saw Kayne this weekend at the Ashburn Farm Green Expo. Timehorse (http://aecn.timehorse.com/), an active Leaf driver, lives in N. Virgina, too.

There is also a pretty active Volt Meetup group: http://www.mdvolt.org/

Come on out, we'd love to have ya! Tell them Scott sent you.
2012 Brilliant Silver SV followed by 2014 Gunmetal Grey SV and now 2016 Kia Soul EV
Bumper Sticker: This Is What The End Of Gasoline Looks Like -> Get it and others at http://www.zazzle.com/leptoquark

CO2Free
Delivery Date: 07 Mar 2013

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi guys,

I am excited to get my new Metallic Slate SL in a week or two here in Richmond, VA! I was wondering what is the average number of battery temperature bars you guys see in the summer? Just trying to get a hold on what kind of capacity loss to expect.

Thanks!

Paul

mazdaboi

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Hey, Congrats on the LEAF. I never had a problem with capacity loss on my LEAF, had it for 6months and just last week I traded it for a '13 VOLT. Keeping it in the EV world, but between the govt not allowing 120V charging at work and my commute changing, i couldn't do it in the LEAF. as much as I still love the car I couldn't manage to comfortably make it 2 and from work. But onto the LEAF, I kept the onboard timer set at 80% and in the evenings before I went to bed Id hit it to 100% manually from the smartphone app. Range loss from cold weather is expected with use of the heater. the 2013's are going to have a more efficient heater. the A/C was always efficient enough to not make more than a 5mile hit on range in the summer when I got it.

Plenty of L2's on the way north of you off Rt1, and My L2 is always open for anyone who wants/needs a charge its posted on Plugshare.com.
Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE

CO2Free
Delivery Date: 07 Mar 2013

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks for the help! I hope to be able to provide some usable info about the '13 LEAF when I finally get it! Cheers!

MdBlackleafSl2012
Delivery Date: 12 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 018965

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 am

Hi all, My name is Mitch, I live in Baltimore county, Maryland, on my 3rd week in my black 2012 SL. I'm lovin' it (sorry McDonalds) Do any of you use the info feeds thru carwings? What feeds do you have set up? My top range on a single charge is 68 miles. My wife and I are driving the Leaf way more then I thought we would because the car is just such a kick to drive. Have only used home charging for the most part. Used a charger in the city once at the Hippodrome garage. Do you all no of any DC fast chargers in the area?

jopickens
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 400936

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi - name is Josh - Grafton WV.
Purchased my LEAF exactly 1 week ago.
401 mi. on the ODO thus far with nothing but L1 charging at night (minus an hour on a blink station for fun the day we bought it).
Once we get the L2 charger in the mail next week we'll really put it to use! 8-)
We avg. ~21k mi. / year on our commuter car (most recently a jetta tdi).
Everything has gone better than expected... ride, range, driveability, snow performance, ease of use, etc.
We initially had thoughts to keep our 2010 jetta tdi - but now we're not so sure we wont sell it this spring.

Josh

Leaf1
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 017855

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 pm

MdBlackleafSl2012 wrote:Hi all, My name is Mitch, I live in Baltimore county, Maryland, on my 3rd week in my black 2012 SL. I'm lovin' it (sorry McDonalds) Do any of you use the info feeds thru carwings? What feeds do you have set up? My top range on a single charge is 68 miles. My wife and I are driving the Leaf way more then I thought we would because the car is just such a kick to drive. Have only used home charging for the most part. Used a charger in the city once at the Hippodrome garage. Do you all no of any DC fast chargers in the area?

Mitch, congrats on your SL! I am in Balto County as well. I have 10k miles on my White SL. I do not use the info feeds but would be curious how others use them. I have used an assortment of charging stations around the county and city but mostly do home charging. I am not aware of any Fast charging stations in the area.

MdBlackleafSl2012
Delivery Date: 12 Feb 2013
Leaf Number: 018965

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Leaf 1 did I see you this am on upper Park Heights ave?

Return to “Eastern USA”