Florida CHAdeMO DCQC news

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OttoH

As at least some of you know we now have the first CHAdeMO in Florida up and running here in Ocala. Pearson Nissan on SR 200. I've got pictures that I'll try to post a little later. Anyway, I was down there just a little while ago; pulled in with LBW lit up and 5 miles showing on the GoM. 26 minutes a some seconds later I had a 90% charge. Gotta love that :)

However, the astonishing news: We are apparently getting a second one. As I was getting ready to leave, a guy wearing a Nissan shirt, but driving a Prius Hybrid told me that Pearson Nissan has come to a deal with the city to put in a DCQC at the downtown square.

He also said that there is another DCQC in Orlando at one of the Nissan dealers that has just finished building new facilities. I told him that nobody knows about that one, and he said he was pretty sure it was operational. So now I guess we need the Orlando people to start checking around and letting us know.

Then he added that they were putting in a charging station at one of our Publix stores, but didn't say which one. He did nod towards the west so he may have meant the Publix store just west of the Mall. I got the impression from him that Nissan is pretty aggressive when it comes to improving the charging situation. Unfortunately I did not get his name. I will try to get in touch with him again though, as I need to get confirmations on all this.

Anyway, this is all great news and even greater if the Orlando DCQC is a reality. So, can somebody please check this for us?

OttoH, Thanks for starting this thread!!
Maybe now I won't be so jealous of our CA friends.
The Orlando DCQC would be great news, I might be tempted to drive to Disney with four hours of planned charging along the way.
If you get hold of the Nissan Rep let him know a published list would be nice!

Ok, finally figured this out.

Here is a picture of my LEAF hooked up to the Quick Chager, but mostly so you can see what the QC looks like:

maincharg_zpse246182c.jpg

After that we drove down to the Villages, had lunch and generally fiddle-farted around before heading home and back to the QC.
Here is a closeup of the LCD screen after I just had started charging:

LCDscrn_zpsceb75060.jpg

And this is what proves that this is a "Jennywine" Nissan branded CHAdeMO device:

CHAdeMOlbl_zpsefdca23b.jpg

And finally my LEAF in all its glory sucking down the juice like a hobo with a bottle of Thunderbird:

LEAFcharge_zpsdae22e21.jpg

Man, this picture stuff is pretty cool :)

apvbguy said:
no I did not because I was told that these types of L3 chargers were not very common in FLA

"Not very common" would be correct. Actually, until a few days ago they were unheard of here in Florida. But things are improving, and hopefully will continue to improve. We now have one confirmed here in Ocala, and one - still unconfirmed - in Orlando. And a promise of a second one in downtown Ocala.

What I can't understand is that Miami/Dade County, Tampa, Fort Mayers etc doesn't have any, but Ocala does. I bought the first LEAF in Ocala a year ago, and they have sold a few since then, maybe 5 or 8 or so. But that is the total around here. Southern Florida has many, many times what we have, but they have not a single QC.

But hey, I'm not complaining :)

Good idea in starting a new thread for FL. The original one is starting to get bloated with side discussions and is getting less and less useful even for those is CA. :(

Elephanthead said:
I am glad they put it in a spot that is locked when the lot is closed. Got to keep the leaf hobos out.
The Pearson Nissan lot is not locked. The QC is available 24/7, at least for now. I noticed a bar that can be used to lock the handle to the charger, but the lot cannot be locked off.

I finally got to speak with Ivo at Pearson Nissan, and he confirmed what I had been told earlier. The guy I had talked to is named Greg, and he is one of the inside guys that is closely involved with the EV sales and support. Pearson has been trying to get a third party involved in providing DCQCs around, and the deal with the City of Ocala to get one installed at the Square seems legit. However, nobody could give me any estimates as to when this could possibly happen.

The same is the case with the charger at Publix. It is most likely either a third party installation or possibly a Publix owned unit. Nobody seems to know yet.

So, has anybody been able to find out anything about the Orlando DCQC? Or the one in Punta Gorda?

007martin said:
:mrgreen: any chance soon for south florida hollywood hallandale :geek:
I have no idea. I found out about the one here in Ocala more or less by accident, and ended up getting more info from Greg because he stopped by while I was using it. I've been trying to find out if there are any others around ever since, but so far no luck. The DCQC here in Ocala still seems to be the only one in Florida.

x10guy said:
Good idea in starting a new thread for FL. The original one is starting to get bloated with side discussions and is getting less and less useful even for those is CA. :(
I think we need to split Florida up into North Florida, Central Florida and South Florida!

Back