[NY] Albany/Capital District EV Driver's Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blownb310

Calling all Leaf drivers in Albany, NY Capital District area.

I am seeking local EV drivers for social and driving EV events and gatherings. I have started a new FaceBook group called the Albany Capital District EV Drivers.

Mission statement: To assemble a local group of EV enthusiasts to socialize, organize group outings at local car shows, and possibly put on some EV economy competitions or driving tours as well.

If you know of any EV drivers in a 60 or so mile radius of the capital region, please let me [or them] know about the group I have put together.

Tesla, Mitsubishi i-Miev, Nissan Leaf, Smart ED, Ford Focus EV, Honda Fit EV, BMW Active E, Chevy Volt, home builts, it's all good!

Thanks, Mike

blownb310 said:
Calling all Leaf drivers in Albany, NY Capital District area.

I am seeking local EV drivers for social and driving EV events and gatherings. I have started a new FaceBook group called the Albany Capital District EV Drivers.

Mission statement: To assemble a local group of EV enthusiasts to socialize, organize group outings at local car shows, and possibly put on some EV economy competitions or driving tours as well.

If you know of any EV drivers in a 60 or so mile radius of the capital region, please let me [or them] know about the group I have put together.

Tesla, Mitsubishi i-Miev, Nissan Leaf, Smart ED, Ford Focus EV, Honda Fit EV, BMW Active E, Chevy Volt, home builts, it's all good!

Thanks, Mike

I tried an EV owners Meetup group last year and had no takers, but with all the lease "sales" this year you may well have better luck. I'm not much of a joiner (and try to stay off Facebook) but I'll try to remember to check in on you occasionally. I live about 25 miles North of Albany.

Interesting, thanks for the reply LeftieBiker. Can I ask through what medium you you tried to get something going? Forums like this one or something different? It would help me very much in my quest to do the same.

Were you at the National Plug in Day event at the Saratoga Auto museum last year?

Mike

"Meetup" is a site that lets you create - for a small fee - social meeting groups. I thought it was well-known. Anyway, I used that. No, I wasn't at the event you mentioned.

Thanks, I'll send you a pm when we have our first meet then. I'd like to get something together for September 29th, National Plug-in Day.

In the meantime, if you rub elbows with any other EV owners, please let them know about our group. It's all free, and it's all for fun.

Mike

blownb310 said:
Thanks, I'll send you a pm when we have our first meet then. I'd like to get something together for September 29th, National Plug-in Day.

In the meantime, if you rub elbows with any other EV owners, please let them know about our group. It's all free, and it's all for fun.

Mike

Will do, but I know of just three EVs (and an electric bicycle) in my area...and I own all of them. ;-(

LeftieBiker said:
blownb310 said:

Mike

Will do, but I know of just three EVs (and an electric bicycle) in my area...and I own all of them. ;-(
It does seem a bit lonely so far doesn't it? Well you finally do know another EV driver in the Capital District.....me. :mrgreen:

There are others out there for sure, but they've not met because no one has organized and connected them. That's what I'm working on right now.

Mike

I'd like to welcome Chris Cossey and Rob Gaige of Destination Nissan on board and I hope they send us some of their Leaf customers.

Mike

To talk up the capital region for a bit, after I bought my Leaf, I realized what a remarkable area it is for the Leaf's range. If you take a look at the 4 main cities of the capital region, the diameter is about 40 miles. If you are lucky like me, and live about in the center (Clifton Park), a typical day could be downtown Albany, back home, shoot over to Schenectady, take a detour to Ballston Spa, and get back home again without having to recharge.

But with free charging available in downtown Albany (walking distance to the South Pearl/State St. district, so a good lunch spot or a visit to the Times Union Center), Wolf Road, Union College campus on Nott Street in Schenectady, RPI Field House in Troy, the Price Chopper in Saratoga Springs (I have not verified that they would let you park there and just go walking downtown, but even 30 minutes of shopping is good for 3KWh), not to mention Nissan dealers in Saratoga, Latham, and Central Avenue in Schenectady and Albany, it would be extraordinarily hard to get stranded, even if you had to take an unexpected side trip.

Frankly, there are no other EV drivers to compete for these stations. I've literally never even seen one, except for an RPI-owned iMiEV that seems to be permanently attached to their ChargePoint station.

Incidentally, none of these charging stations are on the Nissan nav. :) But there are so few, I've been able to easily add them all.

blownb310 said:
I'd like to welcome Chris Cossey and Rob Gaige of Destination Nissan on board and I hope they send us some of their Leaf customers.

Mike
I officially endorse Destination Nissan as "a good place to buy a Leaf." They were not happy about what I learned on this forum about Leaf pricing, ( :lol: ) however I went in with a serious offer, and they took me seriously, and we made a deal I was happy with. Sales consultant was Greg, and sales manager was Tyson. Good guys, both.

Staque said:
To talk up the capital region for a bit, after I bought my Leaf, I realized what a remarkable area it is for the Leaf's range.
Great posts, thanks for joining this thread Styles. Nice quick list of charging stations as well. Don't forget about the one at Goldstein Mitsubishi too. ;)

Staque said:
Frankly, there are no other EV drivers to compete for these stations. I've literally never even seen one, except for an RPI-owned iMiEV that seems to be permanently attached to their ChargePoint station.
You're right, in this early time of EV adoption on our area, it is quite convenient to find a free station. Let's enjoy it while we can! Speaking of the i-Miev you referenced, I am well aware of it and snapped this picture yesterday at the RPI Field House Chargepoint station.

It actually might have been the first time two EV's charged at the same time in Troy! :mrgreen:

I left a note on it inviting it's handler to join our group on facebook and he did. Glad to have him aboard. Are you on FB Styles?

Mike

I think that it's more a case of the existing EV drivers (like me) not relying on the few charging stations out there, and charging at home. Whether they really are convenient or not depends on your regular routes: there is only one charging station that is actually convenient to me, and I won't have to use it unless I screw up badly...

Yes home is the simplest place to charge, but I try to use public charging whenever I can, to substantiate the installation costs of the Capital Region's EV charging stations for us early EV adopters.

I use my bicycle to travel about while charging. In this case, I rode down the hill to have dinner along the river at Dinosaur BBQ, all while getting the free charge. Not a bad deal. Some day we will look back on these early days of EV's and say how awesome it used to be to find a vacant [and free] charging station any time we wanted. :mrgreen:

Mike

I'm taking my Fit EV to Lebanon Valley Dragway tomorrow night [Wed] to see if I can lower my ET record of 16.46 @ 83 mph.

It sure would be fun to have a Leaf there to have an all EV drag race. It's just $20 to make time trial runs and no helmet is required. Anyone here want to join me?

Mike

These days I'm bothered by exhaust fumes...

I wanted to mention that Nemith Nissan in Latham has a GE charging station right in front of the office, and they seem to leave it on overnight. I put in a few percent the other morning, on my way home from work, at 4:40am or so...

For what it's worth, I started ChargeNY.com late last year with the intention to cover all of New York. I was hoping to start up chapters, with a dedicated sub forum, and would love to see you guys join.

I have established some really great relationships with the big players in the field (especially in NY), even government officials, with the intention of making an impact on EVs in the State of New York. By organizing under 1 umbrella, we could make a significant impact, so I would like to invite everyone to join up. It would also make it easier to organize events, get cheaper access to products, etc.

To the OP: I'll give you moderator access if you are interested, making it easier to organize the posts etc.

I have been doing this stuff for years (my other sites are all #1 in their niche), and while I hate bragging, I'm really good at running these type of communities. Personally I'm a hands off approach kind of guy, and am more interested in providing the technical expertise and resources needed to make this type of community succeed, so you don't have to worry about 'control issues' (my record really does speak for itself) ;) In fact, I actually rely on feedback from the community to improve the site!

I have some really exciting stuff planned (will post more about that soon), but check out the forums, and other resources (such as EV apps, EVSE database, EV database, Incentives for NY, etc.)

This is the first time I have plugged the site like this, but I really believe we can make a difference if we all join together.

lion said:
For what it's worth, I started ChargeNY.com late last year with the intention to cover all of New York. I was hoping to start up chapters, with a dedicated sub forum, and would love to see you guys join.
I had not heard of your web site until now. Thanks for letting us know. I just joined and look forward to joining forces.

Mike Kamm

I have been very careful not trying to advertise the site on other forums, as I don't want to upset anyone, but I'm pretty serious about this effort. Shoot me a PM with ideas you would like to see (I'm Daniel on the ChargeNY forums), and I'll start making some changes today to accommodate chapters.

Mike Kamm wrote:

Well I decided to check the 1/4 mile performance of my Fit EV.
Run 1: 16.468 sec. @ 83.47 mph.

Run 2: 16.465 sec. @ 83.62 mph.

I am quite happy and unless someone on the Fit EV forums betters those times, I don't plan to try to improve on it.
Although no one with a Fit EV has challenged my times, I decided to go out again and put the record a little further out of reach of whomever
may try. :D

Huge thanks to David Traver Adolphus for the photo!

I tried a few different driving techniques this time. Turned off the traction control - no difference. Tried to power brake it, the car would not allow it. If you have your foot on the brake and accelerator [notice I didn't say "gas" pedal] at the same time you simply don't move.

Run 1: 16.33 @ 84.20

Run 2: 16.31 @ 84.46

Run 3: 16.32 @ 84.57

Run 4: 16.32 @ 84.76

Interestingly, the car kept going faster every run. Perhaps not what you would expect from a battery electric, but these things aren't designed to use all of the battery's power at once. So it really doesn't matter if you're fully charged or halfway, etc. There was about a 1 hour delay between passes. I wish I could make back to back runs to see if it would change anything.

The tires were heating up and getting better grip. If by "power braking it" you mean holding the car in place with the drive wheels spinning, unless your parking brake is on the rear, it isn't going to happen.

Back