Philadelphia and Southeastern PA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tps

I'm in Ivyland, just north of Philadelphia. It's going to be a long wait until fall 2011, but at least I'll get the chance to learn from the experiences of folks in the roll-out states. (Maybe Nissan will have learned a few things by next fall, too.) Right now, my guess is that Leaf enthusiasts are few and far between in PA, but everyone seems interested when I tell them about the car, although there's a lot of resistance regarding the 100 mile range. Anyway, it's great to have the chance to interact with other (future) Leaf owners here.

I'll join up...being in Harrisburg, you are the closest major area :)

It sure is a long wait, but will be helpful to hear from others in advance....

Harrisburg is definitely in the southeastern quadrant of PA. I wonder if the LEAF would have enough range for me to make it there from Philadelphia? It is interesting to conjecture about scenarios for using the LEAF on the turnpike if there were fast chargers at each service plaza.

It would be a very close thing.....I think the distance is about 90 miles. PLUS, if I am going to Center City, then you have to factor in the Schuylkill "Expressway"......

It would be neat to imagine the Turnpike with charging stations. The first thing I will do with a Leaf is get on the Turnpike and see how far east I can expect to go. I think no further than the Morgantown exit....but I can't wait to try!

A positive note: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Media-Advisory-Electric-bw-2375647098.html?x=0

I hope this is the start of the public charging infrastructure here in Philadelphia. It'll be great if we have a fast charging point in center city...

tps said:
A positive note: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Media-Advisory-Electric-bw-2375647098.html?x=0

I hope this is the start of the public charging infrastructure here in Philadelphia. It'll be great if we have a fast charging point in center city...

Thanks tps! That is great news...I had no idea and no expectation that I would see even one of these charging stations in place in Pennsylvania in the next 18 months or so. That is very good news.

Pennsylvania Alternative Fuels Tax: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/alternative_fuels_tax/14435

I can understand how they will collect this from public electric filling station businesses, but how will it work for chanrging points at homes, businesses, and parking lots? Will they just ignore / not collect from those charging points, or will they require a watt-hour meter so they can collect the tax...

More news:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/homepage/20100704_A_slow_push_to_give_elecric_cars_a_place_to_charge.html
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/homepage/20101112_An_electric_alternative__Fill__er_up__free_.html

I'm just back from the Philadelphia International Auto Show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. The good news is that I actually got to see and touch a Leaf, a Glacier Pearl model, which is still a rare event in this part of the country. Aside from that, it was a bit underwhelming. The Nissan display was tucked away behind VW in the main exhibit hall, and unfortunately, the LEAF was the only Nissan which one could not get into; it was locked. There were a few Nissan guides around, one of whom told me I could sign up when they started 2012 reservvations, before I told him I had already reserved. They gave a little presentation at one point, just basic information aimed at the uninformed. I was hoping to talk with someone who knew more than basic information, but no such luck. Makes me wonder whether it's worth the trip to DC next month for the Drive Electric event; today was OK since it was local, but I'd hope to meet with more knowledgeable folks after making the trip to DC.

My impression of the car was that it was better looking "in the flesh" than in photos. I like the bluish tint to the Nissan logos. It was hard to form much of an opinion, though, because I could not actually get into the car to check it out. One suggestion to Nissan: Don't keep people out of the LEAF!

Chevrolet had a Volt on display, but they didn't let anyone even touch it, much less get in. I was really impressed by how well hidden the tailpipe was. A lady gave a brief presentation describing the Volt, and when she got to the L1 charger, she said she wondered why they made it 20 ft long, as you could use an extension cord if needed. After the presentation, I explained to her the NEC issues. Before I talked with her, she was engaged in a somewhat spirited discussion about "Who Killed the Electric Car" with another guy who had watched her presentation. I got the idea that Chevy had primed their presenters with what to say to regarding the EV1...

I'm glad I went, but it would have been nice had I got to at least sit in the LEAF or the Volt. People did get to sit (with some difficulty) in a new Corvette on display; I swear those cars get lower every year! I did get some good lunch across the street at the Reading Terminal Market. BTW -- Ford had a Transit Connect at their booth, unfortunately not an EV version. If the EV revolution has started, it wasn't obvious.

tps said:
People did get to sit (with some difficulty) in a new Corvette on display; I swear those cars get lower every year!

Thanks for the report!

I will definitely be going to DC when they open up the 'drive list'. I would have liked to see a LEAF, but not sure the 2 hour drive would be worth just that!

And yes, I find that my knees over the past few years are definitely telling me that ALL cars are getting lower :)

Well, no new word from the Hertz people in NYC, so I signed up for Saturday afternoon at the DC Drive Electric event in mid-March. Guess I'll be making the long drive for a few minutes of "seat time".

Just found and joined the forum today. Add another SE PA waiter to the list!!! I ordered in March 2010. Also went to Philly Car Show and DC test drive. I just IM'd with a Nissan Leaf rep and found out that the order schedule for us is January 2012 :cry: I think that by the time I actually get my Leaf it will be a full two years from my reservation date. Trying to be patient...

Hello. I am new to the forum. I chatted with the online Nissan Leaf support person and they told me our state is slated for 2012. They did not say January like meekjah found out. I think I preordered October 2010.

lordmoosh said:
Hello. I am new to the forum. I chatted with the online Nissan Leaf support person and they told me our state is slated for 2012. They did not say January like meekjah found out. I think I preordered October 2010.

Hi lordmoosh. We're the two newbies I guess. The rep I was 'chatting' with as very specific about January but I'm not holding my breath. I'm guessing March 2012 before I actually get it.

I think you are probably right. The thing that concerns me is that the tax credit might get used up or eliminated by the time we buy our cars. I like the Leaf but I don't think I will pay $33,000 before taxes for it.

Back