What's your begining range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catlbat

I've been commenting to my dealer each time I have the car in about the low number of miles for my range when I first start out. I am now routinely down to 55ish miles when I take my car off the charger with a full charge at 100%.
Anyone else have these kinds of results?

It's a GOM (guess-o-meter). It's near worthless. Please see It's a http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=275171#p275171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and many of the posts beyond it regarding our discussion about the GOM and "distance to empty".

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for examples of the useless and whacky numbers.

You haven't realized this after having your Leaf since January 2012?

You're wasting your breath and time "commenting" to your dealer.

catlbat said:
I've been commenting to my dealer each time I have the car in about the low number of miles for my range when I first start out. I am now routinely down to 55ish miles when I take my car off the charger with a full charge at 100%.
Anyone else have these kinds of results?

Hi, and welcome to EV driving! Your question is a very common one for new EV drivers, if you use the search tool, you'll find lots of similar threads.

You're seeing 55 miles because of a combination of the conditions where you live and they way you last drove or used the car. It's only an estimate.

Experiment for yourself. Drive around slowly for a day, see what it says tomorrow. Then drive wicked fast and see what you get the next day.

Is it cold out? Wait for a warmer day and see how it changes.

I was prewarming mine yesterday for a while cause it was -15F here, but then ended up not making the trip I planned. Today it started with 39 miles, and as I drove around, it went up to 69.

We call it the Guess-O-Meter, or GOM. It can only base it's guess on the info it has, it has no way of knowing if you're going to slow down, or go downhill, or shut the heat off.

As you learn the car, just watch your SOC, the state of charge % meter that looks like a little battery, or the big charge bars, and you'll get a better sense of how far you can travel on a 100% charge under varying conditions.

In short, cold, fast, uphill, bad weather, heavy loads, all make for less range.

cwerdna said:
You haven't realized this after having your Leaf since January 2012?

Ah! I found where you got this from! Wierd!

Catlbat, you had me fooled, I thought you were a newbie! Have you really been driving around for a year and not figuring out how the car works? You should read here more often.

Did you ever get your PA rebate?

Reset your KW/H at around 1/2 battery, then only drive it around at the max 8.0 KW/W and park it and turn it off. Start charge and you should see 115 miles in ECO ....GOM is a joke. A 55 mile end charge tells me you are doing 65 - 70 MPH average at 3.6 KW/H.

Get a LeafDD and use the GIDs as a reference. Forget the GOM.

Fred

Wennfred said:
Reset your KW/H at around 1/2 battery, then only drive it around at the max 8.0 KW/W and park it and turn it off. Start charge and you should see 115 miles in ECO ....GOM is a joke. A 55 mile end charge tells me you are doing 65 - 70 MPH average at 3.6 KW/H.

Get a LeafDD and use the GIDs as a reference. Forget the GOM.
OP lives somewhere in PA. We have no idea what city, but much of the East Coast and middle of the US has been suffering from cold temps. From http://www.weather.com/weather/yesterday/Philadelphia+PA+USPA1276:1:US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the high temp in Philly was 21 F and low was 12 F. And, slush and snow on the road will hurt efficiency and there's the temporary battery capacity loss due to the cold. And, we have no idea if the OP's tires are properly inflated now either.

I suspect some of the OP's low GOM numbers are due to having to drive w/the power hungry heater. Also, we have no idea how many capacity bars the OP has lost, if any.

OP, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it. Also, can you specify somewhere, like in your signature your model year and approximate delivery date?

If I come home at 70mph with the heat cranking on then yes mine says about 50 miles in the morning.
More typically I am a little slower with less heat and it says about 68.

My rebate was denied since it was submitted just past the 6 month deadline since Nissan did not tell me about the rebate. I had done my research before I bought on the PA portal website and there was no mention of EV rebates and I do know about these since I own a 07 Toyato Camry Hybrid of which I did receive a PA rebate.

Back to the range issue. Let me illustrate: Took delivery of our 12 Leaf in January of 2012. Taking (my wife's) the Leaf to work in January of 2012 I could do the 45ish round trip with over a half charge remaining (+40 or 50 remaining miles). Took the trip a few weeks ago (NO it was not during the polar votex) on a normal winter day and arrived home with 1 bar remaining and 10 miles left in range. This is what I'm mainly talking about in range. In another year or so will I not have enough range to make a 40ish round trip?

Other than this range issue, we love our Leaf.

catlbat said:
Back to the range issue. Let me illustrate: Took delivery of our 12 Leaf in January of 2012. Taking (my wife's) the Leaf to work in January of 2012 I could do the 45ish round trip with over a half charge remaining (+40 or 50 remaining miles). Took the trip a few weeks ago (NO it was not during the polar votex) on a normal winter day and arrived home with 1 bar remaining and 10 miles left in range. This is what I'm mainly talking about in range. In another year or so will I not have enough range to make a 40ish round trip?

Other than this range issue, we love our Leaf.
Again, can you please update your location as I asked?

Stop pointing to the GOM. It's nearly useless. "40 or 50 remaining miles" does not necessarily equal "half charge remaining". The GOM is causing you unnecessary range anxiety. You can get a better idea of how low you really are via gid-meters or apps like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (maybe test your setup via http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; first?) instead of the crap GOM and not granular enough 12 fuel bars.

How many capacity bars have you lost? I asked and you haven't answered.

How fast are you driving?

We don't even know if your tire pressures are low or not as that will sap range due to increased rolling friction. We don't know if you've changed the tires from stock either.

Of course you're going to have temporarily less battery capacity during cold weather, but if you're running the (power hungry) heater that's in the '11 and '12 Leafs, that makes things even worse.

Use the heated seats and steering wheel. Minimize heater use. Look for alternatives to keeping warm (e.g. dressing more warmly, blankets, etc.), heaters such as http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=340612#p340612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I hear that's only a good foot warmer), etc. Pre-heat your car while still plugged in via either timer or remotely (via smartphone app or web site). For this, hopefully you're charging @ home at 240 volts and not using the stock L1 EVSE.

Why don't you reset the miles/kwh gauge at full charge before leaving from home and tell us the result when you return? Also, may as well do the same for the avg mph gauge.

In short, we're lacking a lot of info from you, so we don't know what steps you have taken or can take to reduce your range anxiety.

Back