Palm Beach FL Leaf'r needs charging while fighting condo ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucedp

[reference
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Real-Leaf-Palm-Beach-Gov-needs-to-embrace-EVSE-FL-Condo-Woes-td4667564.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EVLN: Real Leaf, Palm Beach Gov needs to embrace EVSE, FL Condo Woes
]

I request help from fellow Leaf EV drivers that are near the Palm Beach, FL area to arrange charging while Leaf'r fights with condo assoc. to allow EVSE. (Please read the above evdl.org post).

In the above post I made, it explains that 77 year old Paul Least's birthday present to himself has now been the target of condo neighbor complaints over an extension cord.

In my post I also included links showing the nearest public EVSE (too far for an old guy to hoof-it or bicycle to and from), some other links giving contact info, and a link to a previous news item on Paul's plight.

At the end of the post, I included a link to another newswire post I made on (EVangel) Thesen who had great success getting Palo Alto, CA City Government to re-write their building codes to include EVSE. IMO the condo assn will likely not budge on the issue while there are no EVSE regs on the City Gov. books concerning condos, townhouses, and or Apt.'s.

*Repeating, the main reason for this post is to find a source for charging for Paul that is close to his Condo. And also to make the plugin community aware of his charging plight (a problem for all that live in condos, townhouses, or Apt.'s). There is only one private listing on plugshare that is near Paul, and they did not respond to a plugshare message.

Thank you for your time,

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter
Electric Vehicle List News
brucedp.150m.com
(Near Silicon Valley, south of SF, CA USA)

my response to Mr Parmenter's PM... if anyone has any better ideas feel free to chime in...

Bruce,

I left a phone message for Mr. Least at that NY phone number and introduced myself as a fellow Nissan LEAF owner and asked him to call me. I will try to get him connected with our local EV group, the Gold Coast Electric Auto Association.

There may not be a lot that can be done, but we will see. Florida is not at all progressive when it comes to EV infrastructure, and the situation can only be worse when you are dealing with a condo board run by a bunch of old people in Palm Beach island who are set in their ways. Unlike satellite TV or solar power, or ADA access, there is no statutory requirement to require condos or HOAs to provide EV charging or enable an owner to install their own facilities on common elements.

I don't recommend EVs for people with Mr Least's living arrangement - you really need to control your own parking situation in my opinion. I'm surprised the Nissan dealer who sold him the car didn't verify that to assure the car would be suitable for him. Maybe they did, but he said he had access to power.

Anyway if Mr Least contacts me I and others will try to help however possible.

thanks
Steve Hancock

I think that it's time that a law similar to one that requires condos, apartments, HOAs, etc to allow the installation of an antenna or satellite dish to allow the installation of EVSEs.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Steve for making that effort.
Once you have made contact, you will know better what his situation actually is.
My main impetus is to make charging less painful for him with access closer to his condo than what is in the public (I listed in my original evdl post, the nearest pubic EVSE to his condo is 4 miles and beyond).

I agree with you his arrangement (buy before you have done your homework) was the wrong way to purchase a plugin.

I am not surprised that a sales rep only went as far as it took to satisfy their metrics yet still get the sale: their goal.

You are right, Peter might have told them he has access to power, but may not have elaborated (with Peter thinking to himself he would just run the extension cord out to the parking lot> bad idea).

I would not expect anyone to fight his condo assn battle for him, but local drivers could be there in support (i.e.: have drivers attend any city counsel meetings when a county wide charging proposal is put before them, etc.).

I hope he does contact you, and closer/easier charging can be arranged for him to use.

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter
brucedp.150m.com
(Near Silicon Valley, south of SF, CA USA)

I am going to court in Delray in the morning. The court is at 200 W. Atlantic Ave. Chargepoint says that the only charger within walking distance is at 200 NE 1st Ave. I cannot figure our how to determine if that charge will be open to the public and available at 9:00 a.m. Thanks for your help.

N1ghtrider said:
I am going to court in Delray in the morning. The court is at 200 W. Atlantic Ave. Chargepoint says that the only charger within walking distance is at 200 NE 1st Ave. I cannot figure our how to determine if that charge will be open to the public and available at 9:00 a.m. Thanks for your help.

Plugshare says: "Bankers Row Parking Lot. Three Level 2 chargers, available 24/7. Free to park, free to charge"

Back