Trip From NE Connecticut to Cohassett, MA?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycenphil

Thinking of going to visit friends in Cohassett next weekend, about 94 miles. I don't think I'm ready to try that non-stop, but would like to try and take the Leaf. My wife says the ICE makes a lot more sense, and she's probably right, but I don't want to take the Leaf and prove her right by running out of juice. We need high speed charging, because half an hour wait is about the most I can sell them on.

I see Marlboro Nissan is at mile 43 for us, which would make the trip easy. There is also Quirk Nissan in Quincy at mile 61, which should work too if it isn't too cold out. There is also Bertera Nissan in Auburn, on the way home, but they are 70 miles from Cohasset, pretty tough on an 80% charge.

Anybody familiar with these places - how sure can I be of getting a charge from them? Any other alternatives that I haven't mentioned? How dumb is my plan?

BTW, I just got and activated my Chargepoint card, and I have the plugshare app on my iPad.

Newbie enthusiasm? You're pushing your luck. It'll still be cold next weekend, and it will take more than half an hour to recharge on QC, so for peace of mind and wife, take the ICE.

But . . . You did make your own open EVSE, so you are willing to take a risk . . .so, here's some info:

Not Marlboro, too far out of the way, and locked after hours. Milford is 24/7 and more on route if you take old highways and surface roads. I've used it several times, totally dependable. The map app on my iPad puts it at 38 miles on shortest route, then 45 to Cohassett. There's also Clay Nissan in Norwood and Coastal Nissan in Norwell, haven't used them, but no bad reviews. Bertera is dependable 24/7, but out of the way. Taking highways there may be a little faster, but you'll use much more energy than old roads. In any case, leave home at 100%, not 80%. Run the route on several map apps, direct is better.

Download the LEAF Energy app, it automates Tony Williams range charts, and yields accurate energy usage, but you have to break the route up into legs after you work it out on other map apps, because it can take you way out of the way.

Possibly, 197 to 16 to Milford QC, then 109 near Norwood QC, then highways to Cohassett.

You can recharge in Cohassett?

There are more direct paths, but then you're on regular town streets a lot.

Not as easy as a get in and go ICE. You shoulda got the Tesla.

Or the Volt.

Thanks. I'll probably leave the Leaf home this weekend. Maybe I'll try the trip alone someday first.

We bought the car over three weeks ago, and have had to use the ICE once in that time, so I'm really quite satisfied with the experiment so far.

Glad you like it. Within it's limitations, it's a nice car.

One downside to PlugShare is that when you click on a station, it gives you it's distance "as the crow flies" and not on any route you could drive. Eastford to Marlboro is more like 55 miles by highway.

PlugShare has a trip planner on its main website that accounts for stations, but I'm hardly ever on a desktop and don't use it much.

That is pretty important about PLugshare; I did not realize that.

But the MIlford stop looks like it makes the trip pretty doable. If I stay off the highway, it's 41 miles from Eastford to Milldale and 42 more to Cohasset. And the reviews of the dealer sound really good. Hmmm....

Milford for sure.

When you get to Cohassett, let your friends drive it to Quirk or Coastal, whichever is closer to them, show them how to QC, and for the half hour you're there filling up, talk it up, show them PlugShare, etc, and top off after they drive it home, on 120, or show off your EVSE if they have the right outlet, and you're good to return by Milford.

But tell them not to buy yet, MA could have a $2500 rebate by years end, with any luck.

The QCs shut off at 80%, but if you ever need it, just push the start button again to top off, it's slower then, but doable. Or, switch to a L2.

Thanks again. It is starting to sound like fun.

I will show them the car, and they wil like it, but I'm sure it is not for them yet. Funny thing is, they fit the profile almost perfectly. He drives a few miles each weekday to the station or the ferry. Most of her driving is very local too, but when they do go on a long trip it is always together. And they have two cars. So they could easily replace one with a Leaf, and never have an issue with range.

Back