GA EV tax credit almost repealed. Decision postponed.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asemeco

Please let me know if this has been reported earlier. The vote will take place in two days (March 3).

Legislative Alert

House Bill 257
sponsored by Rep. Chuck Martin (R)
Alpharetta, Georgia

To repeal the $5,000 State of Georgia Tax Credit
should come to a vote on Monday, March 3, 2014.

This repeal would come into effect on or after April 1, 2014.

If you disagree with this idea, you may want to contact your
State of Georgia Representative.

You may also want to let your friends and neighbors know that they may have limited time to get their tax credit.

Again, this bill states that March 31, 2014 would be the last day to buy an electric vehicle to receive the $5,000 State of Georgia tax credit.

And it was repealed. Tax credit lowered to $0.

Last chance: Get your Leaf before April Fool's Day.

And still nobody cares...

It will be interesting to see how this affects sales in GA. This may be a foreshadowing of things to come when the federal tax credit expires.

adric22 said:
It will be interesting to see how this affects sales in GA. This may be a foreshadowing of things to come when the federal tax credit expires.

the entire nation is not as infected with rightwing, GOP insanity disease as Georgia.

as i understand it, CA reduced its rebate from 5k to 2.5k so that it would be available for longer and for more cars.
of course, we all would have preferred seeing it stay at 5k and funded to support it.
that said, the CA legislature did put a stop to the HOT lane stop sign for EV usage with no toll.

Well, $5k was pretty generous. If GA wants to, it can enact something else in future.

Incentives are going to vary by state, here we're waiting for a CA style $2500 rebate, and that may only last until 2020. So the Boston market will pick up where Atlanta declines. But sales should be hot in GA this month!

Tesla should be the first to hit 200k and lose the fed credit, hope there's still room left when the model E rolls out.

asemeco said:
And it was repealed. Tax credit lowered to $0.

Last chance: Get your Leaf before April Fool's Day.

And still nobody cares...

It still needs to be passed by the senate. I'm not saying they'll stop it, but it hasn't been officially repealed yet.

Consider yourself lucky, AZ has never had a tax credit for EVs. The best we can do is get a break on the registration fee. The fee is a flat fee for EVs and for everyone else, it is a formula based on the value of the vehicle.

Here we are going in the opposite direction. Last year the Colorado tax credit was revised and extended for another six years before it begins to phase out. A modest $50 a year EV registration fee was also added to support roads ($30) and charge stations ($20).

Honestly, it's time for the incentives to be phased out or eliminated. I plan to only own EVs from here on out and while I'll take an incentive, they're no long necessary.

The TOC (according to edmunds) of a LEAF vs a Versa HB has the LEAF $6.5k cheaper over 5 years, but that includes the $7.5k federal incentive. It's getting pretty close to a wash and I assume EVs will continue to get cheaper/better, while ICEs only more complex and oil/gasoline more expensive.

the bill passed, ends on 7/1/2014, after that there will be a 10m budget for zev credit yearly.

someone also said that there's a strong push for the date to 12/31/2014

Does anyone have some sales figures for GA Leafs sold? I believe a bunch of 2013 S Leafs have been sold (judging from high GA dealer inventory figures), but I haven't seen actual sales figures.

I just now checked inventory 100 miles from Atlanta and there are ~850 Leafs, perhaps 90% are the S trim (from spot checking, I don't have the time to count!)

If the state incentive is completely repealed, it will be very instructive to examine sales before vs sales after.

dalamchops said:
the bill passed, ends on 7/1/2014, after that there will be a 10m budget for zev credit yearly.

someone also said that there's a strong push for the date to 12/31/2014

Thanks, do you have a link to the details of today's meeting?

How does the $10M budget work - still a $5K/car credit up to $10M/yr for the total number of credits for the state?

There were a couple of members of The EV Club of the South there prepared to speak, but no public comments were taken. They have seen the current language of the bill, but it has not been posted on the legislature's website:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/HB/257.
It was referred from the Natural Resources Committee to the Senate Rules Committee, I think. There is still time to contact your Senator to vote no. The compromise coming through sounds like it might be OK, but seeing is believing.

Looks like it passed the senate - anyone have additional info about the version that passed yesterday?

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/HB/257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below in the same page there is a PDF:

A tax credit is allowed against the tax imposed under this article to a taxpayer for
the purchase or lease of a new low-emission vehicle or zero emission vehicle that is
registered in the State of Georgia. The amount of the credit shall be:
For any new low-emission vehicle, 10 percent of the cost of such vehicle or
$2,500.00, whichever is less; and
For any new zero emission vehicle, 20 percent of the cost of such vehicle or
$5,000.00, whichever is less.

The aggregate amount of tax credits allowed under the provisions of this subsection
shall be limited to $10 million in each fiscal year.
Tax credit not repealed; limited instead.

So, enough money for the first 2000 Leafs (if we ignored low-emission vehicles).

Thanks, I was wondering if there were any modifications to it that weren't yet reflected in the PDF - sometimes it's delayed by a few days.

Back