New York Benefits / Discounts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLeaf14

Hi all,

Just picked up a new leaf in New York and was wondering what types of benefits/discounts people have found for EV cars in the state. I've found a couple discount plans for EZ Pass and the Clean Pass sticker. Any suggestions for other benefits?

Thanks!
Happy new leaf driver

Nice name, btw...

You've pretty much named all the benefits we get here in NY. The only other one was a $500 rebate from LIPA if you happen to live on Long Island and the car was purchased and titled to the same person whose name is on the LIPA account. That program may have ended when LIPA became PSEG-LI on January 1st, and it wasn't good if you leased, so it's probably a moot point.

Are you in the NYC area? The Port Authority EZ Pass plan makes all of their crossings into NJ just $4 during off-peak which is nice. I also have the 10% Thruway discount on my EZ Pass but I've never made it that far in my Leaf and I doubt I ever will.

Just be aware, the Clean Pass sticker only works for the HOV lanes on the LIE, and only those lanes in Nassau and Suffolk, not the ones leading to the Midtown Tunnel. It sucks that it's such a limited program. I live on LI and I never bothered applying for my stickers because I never need those lanes.

Thanks NYLEAF! And likewise on the name :)

Thanks for the additional details. Hopefully we'll see some more benefits in the future. Will be sure to keep a look out and post anything I find.

No one makes fun of my Leaf because they don't even know it's an EV, here in the Wilds of Upstate. That, and little extreme heat are the main advantages.

NYLEAF said:
The Port Authority EZ Pass plan makes all of their crossings into NJ just $4 during off-peak which is nice.

NYLEAF,

Who did you call to get into that program?, I need to do that because I use the Holland Tunnel 3X a week.

Thanks!

Sal

Sorry, I was a bit off on the price. I'm wondering if they raised it since I signed up?

panynj.gov said:
The Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan (PAGRN) offers a $5.50 toll rate during off-peak hours to vehicles on New York's Clean Pass Program Vehicle Eligibility List that pre-register for the program.

Call 800-333-8655 to register for the Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan. Be sure to have your account number or tag number and PIN for account access.

They wouldn't allow me to use my existing EZ Pass account because I didn't have a green tag. I had to create a whole new account, send in a copy of my registration proving that my car is on the Clean Pass list (any Leaf will be, of course). I made sure they put both the Thruway Plan (10% discount) and this Port Authority plan on my tag once I got it in the mail.

If anyone is a NY ConEd customer and is interested in joining an EV pilot program set to start soon to gauge electricity usage of electric vehicle owners go to

http://www.coned.com/electricvehicles/

E-mail the following information to [email protected] :

Your name, address, phone number, and Con Edison account number
Vehicle make and model
Type of charging station-Level 1 (120 volts) or Level 2 (208/240 volts)
Charging station make and model (only necessary for Level 2).
Size of solar installation in kW (if applicable)

I had my assessment done today, they will come and install a smart meter that will measure real time home and EV electricity usage. With the information gathered from me and other participants they will propose an attractive electric rate for electric vehicle owners in a year or so. I wont cost anything so if you are an electric vehicle owner in NY and have ConEd please join.

Back