Potomac Mills Shopping Mall Tesla Chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdharrin

Noticed last weekend that there are a huge number of new Tesla chargers being installed in the Potomac Mills Mall in Northern Virginia (in front of the main mall entrance). They had a huge power transformer installed nearby to support it. It's not open yet, but i can't imagine the Mall paying to install this equipment and ignoring the customers driving other vehicles. I plan to call mall management to ask when we can expect to see chargers installed for the rest of us...

J.D.

JD...

The reason why Tesla superchargers are going in all over the place is because Tesla is paying for everything. They lease the land from the owner, they pay for the equipment and installation, and they also pay the ongoing electric bill and make the charging available to Tesla owners at no additional cost. They are grabbing the bull by the horns and getting it done by paying for it, and a small part of the price of the car goes to help fund it...It's a simple but really effective model.

No one else is doing it this way, so that's why you don't see as many charging stations going in for other cars (which usually require some sort of subsidy or grant money funding) because other parties or OEMs are not willing to pay for it like Tesla is doing...

And since they're paying for it, Tesla is building it to their own specs (which currently means using their own proprietary connector). They've offered to license the charging stations to other manufacturers to use for their own cars, but no one has taken them up on it so far...

I don't think asking the mall owner to put in stations like you've suggested (at their expense) is going to work...Then the mall is in the charging business, and has to pay for equipment, installation, insurance, power, and has to be responsible for billing drivers or has to hire someone else to do that (at additional cost)...

Back