ANYONE TO HELP WIRE UP AN ESVE LEVEL 2 IN MA?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eire32

Hi,

I just got a Leaf and I am looking to hook up an ESVE Level 2 in my garage. Also, my town allows separate electric meters to be installed to offer lower rates for ESVEs which I would like to do.

Anyone that is an electrician, or pretty handy in electrical work please drop me a line.
:idea:

It's a simple job unless you have to have a new panel installed or conduit run through a trench. If it's a matter of connecting to an existing panel, look for a licensed electrician who will do it for under $500. I live in NY.

Thanks guys!
They don't do whole home EV rates you either plug in to your home as is, or get a second meter installed exclusively for the EV supply. The charge is 5 cents per KWh, usual cost is 15-18 cents per minute i think.

The meter costs $300 from the electric company. Installation is with your own electrician , which is extra! I have a 200 KW newer panel with sub panels. It's pretty well updated. The garage is about 150 feet from the home and already has a 110v supply. I think the cost will depend on how exactly I can set up a second meter and getting that 220v to the garage, whether I can use the existing line or not etc

The other thing is,

Is it an economically sound decision to install a second meter for a 5 cent per KWH EV rate, paying $300 for a second meter plus install charges???

I drive 55 miles round trip to work 5 days a week or 15,000 miles approx per year.

If you drive very carefully, you'll get 4 miles per kwh, so 15,000 miles will use 3,750 kwh. At $.15 per kwh, that would cost $562. At $.05, it would cost 187.50. So you save 274 per year. You'll save more if you get less than 4 miles/kwh, or pay more than $.15 per kwh.

So it will probably pay. But you will probably need an electrician to install the meter - I'd be surprised if the electric company would allow it otherwise.

(Anyone please feel free to check or correct my math and assumptions.)

Graycenphil said:
If you drive very carefully, you'll get 4 miles per kwh, so 15,000 miles will use 3,750 kwh. At $.15 per kwh, that would cost $562. At $.05, it would cost 187.50. So you save 274 per year. You'll save more if you get less than 4 miles/kwh, or pay more than $.15 per kwh.

So it will probably pay. But you will probably need an electrician to install the meter - I'd be surprised if the electric company would allow it otherwise.

(Anyone please feel free to check or correct my math and assumptions.)

Your assumptions are OK, but your subtraction is off. $562.50 - $187.50 = $375 savings per year or $1125 over 3 years. If you can get it done for less than $1,000 you should come out ahead.

Back