MA TOU rates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNAinaGoodWay

If you're interested, and maybe want to chime in, MA DPU is starting the process to set up TOU rates.
The email this came in also included a link to a solar net metering info page, so I'm sure that will be on the agenda.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts —— DEPARTMENT OF MEMORANDUM TO : Service List in D.P.U. Electric Vehicles and Electric PUBLIC UTILITIES Vehicle Charging , 1 FROM: 3182 . Mike Wallerstein, Hearing Officer RE: DATE: CC: Technical Conference September 12 , 201 4 Mark D. Marini, Secretary ______________________________________________________________________________ NOTICE OF TECHNICAL CONFERENCE I. INTRODUCTION On August 4, 2014, the Department of Public Utilities (“Department”) issued its Order, D.P.U. 13-182-A, which, among other things, identified several issues for further investigation in this proceeding. To better understand these issues, the Department will hold two technical conferences. II. TECHNICAL CONFERENCE The Department will hold technical conferences on October 16, 2014 and November 6, 2014 at 10:00 A.M., at the Department’s offices, One South Station, 5th floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02110. The technical conferences will address the following issues identified in D.P.U. 13-182-A: (1) the design and implementation of appropriate rate structures to encourage off-peak electric vehicle (“EV”) charging and associated metering; (2) the positive and negative impact of EV charging on the distribution system; (3) the implementation of grid interactive technologies and pilots; and (4) other considerations raised by stakeholders. The Department intends to issue a more detailed agenda in advance of the technical conferences. If you have any questions, please contact Mike Wallerstein, Hearing Officer, Department of Public Utilities, at (617) 305-3500 or [email protected]

Here are the agendas:

II. FIRST TECHNICAL CONFERENCE, OCTOBER 16, 2014

A. Outline of Technical Conference Goals: Department Priorities, Stakeholder Priorities
B. Distribution System Impacts
Discuss the potential impacts from electric vehicle (“EV”) charging on the distribution system in the near term and the long term. This will include discussion of information required by distribution utilities on customer EV charging to identify potential impacts. It will also include a discussion on potential actions to limit and mitigate system impacts, including EV rates, direct load control, and distribution investments as well as cost allocation procedures for such efforts.
C. Grid Interactive Pilots
Discuss the potential implementation of grid-interactive charging technologies to mitigate distribution system impacts and provide grid services. Such technologies might include distribution company load control of EV charging, using EV charging to provide ancillary services or distribution services, or other technologies as identified by stakeholders. This session will also include a discussion of potential distribution company pilots to evaluate these technologies and efforts being made in other jurisdictions.
D. Additional Issues Raised by Stakeholders

III. SECOND TECHNICAL CONFERENCE, NOVEMBER 6, 2014

A. Issues Related to EV Rates
1. Discuss the implementation of EV-specific electricity rates to promote off-peak EV charging. This will include discussion of the associated metering requirements and the benefits, costs, technical challenges, and efforts made in other jurisdictions associated with EV-specific rates.
2. Discuss the challenges posed to EV charging, and therefore EV adoption, from current commercial & industrial distribution rates, specifically demand charges and identify whether any, and what, actions might be needed to address these challenges.
B. Other Stakeholder Issues (if necessary)

Very interesting, DNA!

My teaching schedule doesn't allow me to head east for the 11/6 Thursday meeting but I'd like to get the follow-up info from those meetings. Are they public records? I'll do a bit of searching on the State site.

Glad to see that TOU rates are at least under discussion in MA! Look like they're heading in the direction of separate meters?

Yes, I think they're leaning towards separate meters that they can control remotely in future, to protect the grid from brownouts when EVs are everywhere. I'll post the outcome here as I receive it. I couldn't alter my schedule for the first one either, but you can submit email comments. Then you'll be on the email list and get updates too.

Received this Request for Comments today. Here is your chance to chime in on EV rates, sub-metering, etc.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=addc083c31&view=att&th=149c986ac53779c8&attid=0.2&disp=safe&zw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Received this Request for Comments today. Here is your chance to chime in on EV rates, sub-metering, etc.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=addc083c31&view=att&th=149c986ac53779c8&attid=0.2&disp=safe&zw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Getting a service unavailable error on that link... perhaps it is just me?

Hmmm, having trouble, this forum doesn't seem to allow pdf files, try this:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64006&d=1416437881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Due TOMORROW. If so inclined, you actually need to both mail and email comments to:

[email protected] (RE: D.P.U. 13-182)
Mark D. Marini, Dpt Pub Utilities, 1 Sth Station, 5th flr, Boston 02110

There are 21 questions for comment. A quick note could help. From the link DNAinaGoodWay gave:

5. On EV specific rates. These would require separate meters. If you think it could lead to high price tags on meters, and ultimately higher rates for "car-electricity", you might discourage it.

8. Looks like DPU might tell National Grid to lower the 2,500kwh monthly minimum, to sign up for Off-Peak pricing.
Even if you aren’t a National Grid customer, you could encourage DPU to eliminate this minimum. Possibly include an approximate number of monthly kwh you consume, to make the point it was always way too high, thus discouraging EV use. National Grid is likely to argue there is some administrative cost to offering more TOU, but a material one is a hard argument to make.

9. DPU is considering allowing a separate base monthly charge, for TOU users (over and above basic service). They reflected in the 11/6 meeting that these meters are installed across most of MA territory, and I take that to mean there is little argument for it being more expensive to meter TOU vs. fixed rate. They don't have to buy the new expensive AMI meters, that can do TVR and hit you with demand charges. So, as a ratepayer, again it is wise to promote TOU, on equipment that is paid for, and therefore does not justify an excessive base rate charge.

10. What incentives/disincentives exist for electric companies offering TOU?
If you had troubles signing up for TOU, with NSTAR getting back to you, or finding details about it, reflect that to DPU and encourage them to make it economic for the utilities to begin promoting TOU. This is what is missing, in my opinion. They promote light bulbs and water heaters because, in the end, it works out for them through decoupling. Utilities need to see something in it for themselves, before they care if you know about their TOU plan. All I can think of is a rate structure (between the generator and NSTAR/Nat Grid), etc, which allows the transmission company to charge customers relatively more for a daytime watt, than a night-time watt. Currently, I believe they earn the same margin for each. Robert?

These are just a few suggestions, to facilitate comment. The utilities are sure to weigh in. If the 11/6 meeting was any indication, surprisingly few EV voices are out there making the case.

Initial comments due tomorrow. Final comments due by the 15th. Thanks for the reminder. Gotta get my butt in gear.

Even if you're out of state, feel free to comment. Section D seeks feedback On "Lessons from other jurisdictions". If you have EV TOU where you are, you could help us relate to the MA DPU what the realities are.

I find they'll take email without the mail. It's not the correct protocol, but I always plead amateurism, and they haven't rejected my emails yet. Plus, I'm damn lazy.

DNA, I'm not so sure about this:
"Initial comments due tomorrow. Final comments due by the 15th. "

It reads: "...initial comments no later than the close of business on Friday, 12/5. Any person interested in commenting may submit written reply comments no later than the close of business on Monday, 12/15."

I interpreted "reply comments" to mean comments on the comments, so parties can address one another. That is why I think the deadline is today.

All the comments are in now, supporting all possible arguments it seems.

You can read them here: http://web1.env.state.ma.us/DPU/FileRoom/dockets/bynumber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Type in 13-182

My guess is the DPU will go for whole house TVR and a lower qualifying kWh minimum, with no sub-meters. They might suspend demand charges for QC initially, to promote installs, but that's a big bone of contention.

Some interesting reads there. I've never paid attention to such processes before, will be interesting to keep watching.

How much "weight" is assigned to any given comments? i.e. does the comment from 'joe average citizen' count the same as 'big business x' ?

Most of them are written by lawyers who deal with the DPU for the various stakeholders. But anyone can contribute. How they weigh your comments might depend on how persuasive your arguments are.

I like the variety and quality of arguments made in these comments. It won't be an easy descision.

This type of process seems very democratic, everybody can have their say. We don't get to vote on it directly, but the decision makers get excellent input, and the process is public.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Most of them are written by lawyers who deal with the DPU for the various stakeholders. But anyone can contribute. How they weigh your comments might depend on how persuasive your arguments are.

I like the variety and quality of arguments made in these comments. It won't be an easy descision.

This type of process seems very democratic, everybody can have their say. We don't get to vote on it directly, but the decision makers get excellent input, and the process is public.

Next step: Get these discussions into "Well moderated" forums with public access (I'd require anyone participating to provide proof of identity to join perhaps). I'd like to see real-time discussions on these topics with decision makers involved.

Back