New Paltz, NY requires new businesses to install EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLEAF

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2015/June/08/NewPaltz_charging_sta-08Jun15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Commercial businesses wanting to set up shop in the Town of New Paltz will now have to go green. The town adopted a local law requiring that they install electric charging stations, said Town Supervisor Susan Zimet.

“When somebody goes before the planning board, one of the things they have to look at is actually creating electric vehicle charging stations in their site plan and they have the option not to do it if they can prove reasons why they shouldn’t.

Is this happening elsewhere? I've never heard of it before.

Well, the Thruway is currently installing dual-standard QCs at the service plazas between Albany and NYC, so I don't know how many people would actually exit to charge up in New Paltz. But I've stopped there to visit friends before, it's a cute town. I wish more places would adopt this idea.

NYLEAF said:
http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2015/June/08/NewPaltz_charging_sta-08Jun15.html

Commercial businesses wanting to set up shop in the Town of New Paltz will now have to go green. The town adopted a local law requiring that they install electric charging stations, said Town Supervisor Susan Zimet.

“When somebody goes before the planning board, one of the things they have to look at is actually creating electric vehicle charging stations in their site plan and they have the option not to do it if they can prove reasons why they shouldn’t.

Is this happening elsewhere? I've never heard of it before.

It will be interesting to see how businesses choose to comply with this. Chargepoint (or other vendors) should jump in there with a full turn-key compliance solution. Nothing in the report says the charging has to be provided free...

This seems like nonsense forcing a business to do this, It is not the role of a business to provide charging and they should be able to opt out without much trouble. Requiring green aspects like lighting, etc makes sense but this takes it a bit far and is yet another cost the business must incur plus any logistical and liability issues. Businesses should get incentives not be forced or coerced to do things like this. Next step they will dictate rate structures once disgruntled businesses make the rates very high. Forcing is not the way to get compliance and a positive result.

NYLEAF said:
Well, the Thruway is currently installing dual-standard QCs at the service plazas between Albany and NYC, so I don't know how many people would actually exit to charge up in New Paltz. But I've stopped there to visit friends before, it's a cute town. I wish more places would adopt this idea.

Yes, I know about their plan to install QCs on the Thruway. The Poughkeepsie Journal reported they would be operational by this past Memorial Day. I haven't heard any update, and Plugshare still has them listed as "coming soon".

My point is that more options is a good thing. Their are plenty of travelers throughout the Hudson Valley, not just on the Thruway. Plus travelers in the area wouldn't have to get on the thruway just for a charge. That could take you 50 miles out of your way, plus the toll, depending on where you are.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/traffic/2015/06/02/thruway-fast-charging-stations/28375963/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're now saying "summer", although I remember originally seeing July. (Google searching leads me to believe the article was edited after I first saw it). Maybe someone at the Thruway Authority confused Memorial Day and Labor Day? :shock:

People at the Thruway Authority don't seem to know much about these things. Whenever I contact them about it, they act like they didn't know EVs exist. I even pointed them to their own website which says they are looking into "Level 3" quick charging for electric vehicles.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/oursystem/environmental/energy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Thruway Authority (Authority) strives to meet requirements of the Federal Energy Policy Act of 1992 and New York State Executive Orders 111 and 142, which urge State agencies and authorities to become less dependent on foreign oil and to provide cleaner air.
The Authority's use and proactive approach to alternative fuels has allowed compliance with State and Federal alternative fuel objectives. One way the Authority adheres to these goals is by dispensing Compressed Natural Gas at its Albany facility at McCarty Avenue.
Further, the Authority uses B-20, which is 20% bio-diesel blended with #1 or #2 regular diesel, in multiple locations across the State. The Authority has also expanded its fleet to more than 400 active E85 vehicles and modified two of the five E85 fueling stations to allow other outside State agencies to fill their flex-fuel vehicles with ethanol.
In addition, the Authority is working towards installing level III electric vehicle charging stations at select travel plazas across the System.

I personally think that the best thing NYS could do would be to install a bank of QCs at every thruway rest stop, from NYC to Buffalo (and back). But that is only just starting to happen, and it's happening at the speed of government. It's nice to have other options popping up nearby.

Why do these chargers always take so incredibly long to install? It's not rocket science, is it?

I know a home charger is much simpler, but I installed my own charger in about a day, which included building it. And I'm not a rocket scientist.

Graycenphil said:
Why do these chargers always take so incredibly long to install? It's not rocket science, is it?

I know a home charger is much simpler, but I installed my own charger in about a day, which included building it. And I'm not a rocket scientist.

Since you built it it is not UL listed. My second guess is you did not get a permit which as a business can be even more difficult. Etc, etc.

Graycenphil said:

I'm sure it has to do with permitting and other processes. I.e. once you get teh approval to do the project, you then have to have digsafe come and mark for any trenching, then someone has to lay out all the conduit etc and leave it visible for the inspector to verify before it gets closed up... then once closed up, electrician comes and finishes his work, then another inspection - and I'm sure there are more steps than this. However, coordinating this is likely not simple. IF a firm were highly motivated I'm sure they could get it done very quickly, but what is their hurry?

This all assumes that the financing is all worked out - private businesses can do it fairly quickly, but if any government money is involved (and generally there is) then you have yet another process to go through. Apply for the 'grant' or whatever, get review, get approval, then start project, then get that final inspection/verification before going live etc....

I suspect those designing these layouts are largely thinking "of the future use" more than the immediate needs of current EV drivers. I.e. not really concerned about rapid roll-out as much as rapid announcement of the vision to encourage the market.

Slow1 said:
I suspect those designing these layouts are largely thinking "of the future use" more than the immediate needs of current EV drivers. I.e. not really concerned about rapid roll-out as much as rapid announcement of the vision to encourage the market.

To be fair, this is a valid point on their part. Today's EVs are not likely to travel from NYC to Albany and back along the Thruway. However, in a few years when 150 miles is the new 80 miles, Thruway travel will become much more common in an EV.

I have never seen any BEV other than a Tesla on the Thruway, and I have driven it from one end to the other. I do occasionally drive my Leaf on it (I did just yesterday in fact), but even then I'm only on for about 10 miles. If quick chargers appeared, I would gladly take a current-gen Leaf from Syracuse to Rochester and back in a day. But how many people will truly do that? Not many, I suspect. But a Leaf 2.0? You could *almost* make the trip in one charge. A 5-minute QC stop each way is probably all you'd need. I'm guessing a lot more people are willing to do that.

*Substitute Syracuse/Rochester round trip with NYC/Albany one-way, and you get the same story

I realize premitting and inspections take some time. But we're talking months (years?) on some of these installations. And in many cases, the unit is installed, looks ready to go, but still sits there for months.

My EVSE is not inspected or permitted, but I have done projects that needed both. It takes a bit of time and scheduling, but really, just a bit.

Of course my motivation is different, but I would think once a firm has decided they want a charger, they should want to get it done. There's a Big Y supermarket near me that is installing a L3 charger. Good idea - I never shop there, but probably will all the time once they get it running. They've already spent all the money on the unit and the installation, but it's not operational. They're getting no benefit from the money they spent. Do whatever it takes to get it running, and at least they start getting something back on it.

I'm not really complaining. It's very nce that all these folks are installing systems so I can charge my car. I'm mostly just curious.

Graycenphil said:
Of course my motivation is different, but I would think once a firm has decided they want a charger, they should want to get it done. There's a Big Y supermarket near me that is installing a L3 charger. Good idea - I never shop there, but probably will all the time once they get it running. They've already spent all the money on the unit and the installation, but it's not operational. They're getting no benefit from the money they spent. Do whatever it takes to get it running, and at least they start getting something back on it.

The cynic in me says "they are getting benefit from money spent as they can claim the 'green' vision" and "this way they don't have to pay marginal cost of power". Most folks are not driving an EV - but many of those might appreciate the business 'going green' just the same.

Then again, who really is paying for that install? Did that business actually drive the acquisition or are they just allowing the location to be used as part of another program?

That certainly makes some sense - whover is responsible for getting it done doesn't really care when or if it gets done.

Graycenphil said:
That certainly makes some sense - whover is responsible for getting it done doesn't really care when or if it gets done.

Or perhaps simply their primary motivation is something other than making the functionality available to EV drivers as soon as possible.

Graycenphil said:
Perhaps, but what might that be?

I don't know what incentives may exist, but perhaps the person pushing the install is the EVSE salesman and once the agreement is signed and they get to a certain point, they have their profits - rebates cashed in etc? IF the install is being done by a corporation perhaps they have agreed to do x installs for some other benefit - financial incentives, or maybe it is part of a larger contract where the installs were added to close the deal and the requirements were lax enough that they just have to break ground...

On the other hand, maybe it is good old fashioned incompetence - process managed by the wrong individuals who can't get a job finished properly.

These things have significant up front capital requirements. Not only does this mean someone has to pony up the money, but someone (or some group of folks) are going to make money off the install. I never rule out the possibility that those involved are more interested in the profits than the success of the enterprise.

Back