Leaf owner in NYC - VTOU by Con Ed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentai3838

Hi all,

I dont have a Leaf yet; but been watch this website and others to do my homework. One of issue that make me hesitant to buy one - is the high electric rate in NYC where I live. I am paying effective rate of $0.27 per kwh last month. At this rate, operating Leaf is more expensive than hybrid with gas less than $3 a gallon by my own calculation.

However, I did found some voluntary time-of-use rate by Con Ed:

http://www.coned.com/electricvehicles/rates.asp

Some discussion at tesla:
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/coned-evvoluntary-time-use-program-details-ny-area

So question for those who owns Leaf in NYC - does VTOU actually save you any more money? compared to your regular residential rate? What is your effective cost per kwh after considering VTOU?

thanks in advance.

Ken.

I am in Arizona not with Con Ed. But I tried to look at the differences between them and SRP the utility company that services me. The (time of use) saves me about 1 averaged payment per year. In reading the rules for your program, It states that you would be reimbursed, if it did not save you money in your 12 months of use. I have only had my cars for a few months, but I will be saving even more money on the (time of use) plan, because I am now charging cars at the nighttime hours, or cheapest rate of off peak. You say you are paying .27 per kilowatt but I thought I read that basic customers pay .19 per. Anyway, this time of year for us we pay roughly .07 off peak and .22 peak for TOU. I saved $40 this month alone off my bill in the difference compared between the (basic) rate plan and the (time of use) plan. My overall bill was $40 higher this year, even though I was on TOU plan last year, because of charging two new electric vehicles compared to the same month last year. Mind you, this is our most expensive time of year per kwh. So as our seasonal rates change, my monthly charge costs go down from this highest level.

Not having owned a hybrid, I don't know what the expenses are. And if you are lucky to be in range of work in battery mode only, gas expense could be limited. But, I have got to believe they are more expensive than $40 a month split between (2) cars or $20 per vehicle. I try to charge at free chademo chargers when I need extra electrons when out and about, but it would be fair to say that I believe to average maybe $15 a month in (pay for charge) station fees, when out on the road. No gas or oil expenses or the wear on a gas engine and tranny.

Used Leafs are a real bargain right now. But if you want or can afford new, hold out for the 2016 sl or sv with 30kwh battery. 6kwh isn't much , but you are so close to the 2016 model release, it would be worth waiting if you plan on buying new. But I would at least buy a cheap as possible (used) Leaf if waiting on the projected larger range battery in 2017. We are very happy to have our two cars.

In digging into all of this, you helped me find out that my utility company offers another plan for ev owners that will reduce my off peak by another penny per kilowatt hour! Thanks! Hope I helped you too!!

P.S. I have no use for hybrids, only more quick charge stations and longer range. Those things are on the very near horizon...

Two things.

For reference, we paid $0.24/kWh this winter, but now down to $0.17

I read your VTOU link. How much you could save depends how how much you can control your electric usage, it's really up to you. But, with the price guarantee, you really can't lose, so why not try it?

Glad it work out for you. For Con Ed, $.19 is only delivery charge; on top of there, there are actual energy use - various around $.08 per kwh; in addition to some other fixed fee's. I got $.27 by divide kwh used by amount billed.

Evoforce said:
I am in Arizona not with Con Ed. But I tried to look at the differences between them and SRP the utility company that services me. The (time of use) saves me about 1 averaged payment per year. In reading the rules for your program, It states that you would be reimbursed, if it did not save you money in your 12 months of use. I have only had my cars for a few months, but I will be saving even more money on the (time of use) plan, because I am now charging cars at the nighttime hours, or cheapest rate of off peak. You say you are paying .27 per kilowatt but I thought I read that basic customers pay .19 per. Anyway, this time of year for us we pay roughly .07 off peak and .22 peak for TOU. I saved $40 this month alone off my bill in the difference compared between the (basic) rate plan and the (time of use) plan. My overall bill was $40 higher this year, even though I was on TOU plan last year, because of charging two new electric vehicles compared to the same month last year. Mind you, this is our most expensive time of year per kwh. So as our seasonal rates change, my monthly charge costs go down from this highest level.

Not having owned a hybrid, I don't know what the expenses are. And if you are lucky to be in range of work in battery mode only, gas expense could be limited. But, I have got to believe they are more expensive than $40 a month split between (2) cars or $20 per vehicle. I try to charge at free chademo chargers when I need extra electrons when out and about, but it would be fair to say that I believe to average maybe $15 a month in (pay for charge) station fees, when out on the road. No gas or oil expenses or the wear on a gas engine and tranny.

Used Leafs are a real bargain right now. But if you want or can afford new, hold out for the 2016 sl or sv with 30kwh battery. 6kwh isn't much , but you are so close to the 2016 model release, it would be worth waiting if you plan on buying new. But I would at least buy a cheap as possible (used) Leaf if waiting on the projected larger range battery in 2017. We are very happy to have our two cars.

In digging into all of this, you helped me find out that my utility company offers another plan for ev owners that will reduce my off peak by another penny per kilowatt hour! Thanks! Hope I helped you too!!

P.S. I have no use for hybrids, only more quick charge stations and longer range. Those things are on the very near horizon...

Back