Update on NY Thruway L3's ??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truav8r

For those that followed the storyline...

Spring 2015 - plenty of ink claiming new Level 3 chargers on the Thruway between Albany and Newburgh, possibly installed by Memorial Day.

Summer 2015 - the story changed to "by end of summer", and placeholders on Plugshare proudly showed "coming soon".

Fall 2015 - now there's no word from anybody on status, and the Plugshare placeholder points are gone.

Has anybody heard anything official or reliable on the status of these Thruway charge points??

Found an article, but their definition of a Fall install might be different than ours...

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2015/09/28/car-charging-stations-thruway-delayed-options-available/73000850/

truav8r said:
Found an article, but their definition of a Fall install might be different than ours...
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2015/09/28/car-charging-stations-thruway-delayed-options-available/73000850/
Indeed. They seems ready to take full advantage of the fact that technically "Fall" lasts until Dec 21, and even then the promise is only to "start installation" this Fall. Here's hoping it is online by the end of Winter (on March 21).

Better late than never. Looks like there are 4 new QCs on the Thruway between Newburgh and Albany. 2 on the northbound side, 2 southbound. Can't say for sure that all 4 are online, but there is at least one review on Plugshare where someone was able to charge at one of the locations. Guessing that means they are all working, but I'll let someone else scout it out first. Little too far for me to get there and find out they are offline :)

Not very useful for me, being North of Albany, but if I ever fancy a trip to Newburgh, and if my next Leaf has QC...do the new stations have L-2 as well, or are they being as difficult as possible?

I live right across the Hudson from Mechanicville. If you drive a Leaf, and use rte 67, I've probably seen you driving over the bridge. You can see my car, parked in front of my garage, from the South lane on that bridge when headed East.

Very cool, I'll have to look next time we go by. Used to go to Clifton Park via Mville almost every weekend, but with the construction we started going Stillwater way and have stuck with that mostly.

We are on 67, east side of Valley Falls. Look for the solar panels on your left as you drive east.

truav8r said:
Better late than never. Looks like there are 4 new QCs on the Thruway between Newburgh and Albany. 2 on the northbound side, 2 southbound. Can't say for sure that all 4 are online, but there is at least one review on Plugshare where someone was able to charge at one of the locations. Guessing that means they are all working, but I'll let someone else scout it out first. Little too far for me to get there and find out they are offline :)
Yippee! Now we just need a similar station some where on I-90 between there and Auburn MA

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd revive this old thread. NYS moves at the speed of government, as always. But there is more progress! The press release was from 10 days ago, I'm surprised I only learned about it when I poked around on their website.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/pressrel/2017/06/2017-06-12-mwk-valley-welcome-center.html

The Welcome Center offers new interactive kiosks promoting the state’s illustrious tourism industry, Taste NY local food and beverages offerings, restrooms, and more. In addition, the expanded Welcome Center’s grounds now feature a “Path Through History,” showcasing the rich heritage of New York State's historical past, a Walk of Fame highlighting influential individuals from the Mohawk Valley, an ADA compliant playground, covered porch overlooking the scenic Erie Canal, three electric vehicle charging stations, and pet comfort areas.

The stations weren't there when I stopped at it last year, but I did notice construction there 2 months ago, so I'm guessing this is part of the new things they added.

Reddy said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Someone has added the location to PlugShare, complete with pictures. There are 3 chargers, all of which are CHAdeMO. I think that's ridiculous, and all should be double-headed CHAdeMO + CCS.

https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/120491
Maybe they started so long ago that CCS didn't exist. :lol:

Entirely possible. This is New York State after all. :roll:

Edit: to be clear, I'm rolling my eyes at the state, not at you...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Government projects take way too long.

But now that the site is wired in, they only need to exchange units to add CCS.

True, but they should have put in CCS in the first place. Upgrading the units may be cheap, but it's still more expensive than doing it right the first time. Classic government waste.

True, but c'mon, its government, expectations are low, and at least it's something. Leaf drivers won't mind. ;)

Maybe they got those AVs for free.

At least there's multiple units, here they're only doing one per, but dual plugs, and prewired for 3.

Back