electricD
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2013
Leaf Number: 409619

Re: Florida

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Weatherman wrote:
shappy wrote:How does the Leaf hold up in the heat of a south Florida summer? How well does the AC work?

Thanks!

The original batteries (from model years 2011 through 2014) degrade extremely fast in the heat. Easily a 20% loss in capacity within the first two years with many batteries reaching end-of-life (more than 30% loss) by the end of the third year.

It has yet to be confirmed whether the 2015 and later model batteries represent much improvement.

The AC performs very well.

Had my 2013 Leaf SL for 2 years and haven't lost a bar yet. Charge it to 100% every day, drive it daily, and enjoy level 3 charging when it is working. Find it to be an excellent car for FL do to how flat it is here. AC work great and like how you can turn it on before you get to the car. Charging point have expanded nicely for when you need a little more charge during the day. But really I find I don't use it much. Been charging at home from a regular wall socket.

spike09
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 015123

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Did anyone else go to the Miami E-Prix on Saturday?
Silver 2012 Nissan LEAF SL : Reserved 4/21/10 : Ordered 7/28/11 : Delivered 12/15/11
4.5m/kWh : Powered by 5kW Thin Film Solar Array
60 Months : 43K miles : 12 Bars (Free Battery Swap at 36 months)
http://pinterest.com/SPIKE09/

electricD

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 am

I went and had a great time. Got to sit in an i8, meet a few drivers, see the cars up close and of course catch glimpse of the race. Wasn't perfect though there were only 2 narrow bridges to get across the track with huge lines to use them. At times they opened ground track crossings but in general it was a pain getting across the track for no reason. Just a few more bridges or a way to walk from the front to the fan area would have made it perfect. There inexperience putting on events like this really showed with crowd flow. That and a little too much sun were then only issues for me and my son.

Would have also been nice also to see a few more big screens or at least some boards giving the current standings. After the car change it was impossible to tell who was in what position. Anyway hope they do it next year. Was fun driving our Leaf to see Formula E. Five years ago if you said that i was going to drive an electric car to an electric car race, I would have looked at you a little strange.

fonsovelasco
Delivery Date: 10 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 022046

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am

Hello,

I recently bought a 2012 leaf with 27k miles, I was wondering if any of you (Miami area owners) were approved for the HOV decal, if so what are the benefits? Having in consideration that most of the HOV lanes are becoming "sunpass express lanes"

Thank you

electricD

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:05 pm

The only thing more rare then HOV lanes in SFL is bike lanes, so if you are hoping to use them good luck. There is one nice advantage though and that is if you have the HOV sticker you can then apply for the 95 Express Hybrid Registration which will get you on the the 95 express lanes for free (the old HOV lanes). Nice advantage even though you will kill your range if you are trying to keep up with traffic. I actually fine that the slower pace in the normal lanes is a better idea when going to Miami to Ft Lauderdale and back.

http://www.95express.com/pages/usage-gu ... 95-express

Get one because you can. Cost nothing and might just come in handy one day. And congratulations on the Leaf! By chance did you get it form Offleaseonly.com? They have a bunch at a great price and they seem to be moving them.

fonsovelasco
Delivery Date: 10 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 022046

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, yes I bought it from offleaseonly at opa-locka. I didn't get online before buying the car and so did not knew about the battery issues blah blah blah... So the car has only 10 bars remaining, 27,456 miles and paid 8,999 I think is an SL model, not sure. It has camera,heated seats,navigation and LED headlights.

I'm extremely happy with the car, so happy that I am not using my "old car" anymore a 2014 Mini Cooper,the mini is a lease so once the lease is up I might get the i3. I think I will just stick with electric as long as I can

electricD

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Offleaseonly may be putting more Leafs on the road in FL then Nissan right now. LOL

If you have the little solar panel on the rear wing and the level 3 charge port it is an SL. Don't worry about the battery it is really an overblown issue. Plus you just got a low mileage, 3-year-old, $30k car for 9k! That's a great deal.

Few tips. Get the Plug Share App and find the good level 3 chargers (mostly outside of Miami). I like to charge mine overnight to 100% from a regular wall socket. Don't bother getting a level 2 charger. And takes some trips in it to get a feel for how long the battery will last. For this, the trip mileage counter can be your friend. That and just enjoy what at the end of the day is just a great car.

NateWH
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2015

Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm looking at a 2012 Leaf SL and am concerned about the battery losing capacity. I live in Polk County and we regularly see temps of 90-97 degrees during the summer months. Is the 6year/60,000 mile replacement (if the capacity drops below 9 bars) applicable if you purchase it used? Is there a way to tell if a dealer has reset the battery capacity meter to show 12 bars? Thanks for any help.

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Its very difficult to tell is the BMS has been reset. I am in Martin County, and my 2012 is down to 69% capacity already. The capacity warranty is 5 years (60 months)/60,000 miles, and applies equally to a used Leaf, as long as the VIN hasn't been tagged for some reason. Its always good to have a Nissan service manage check the service report to make sure the capacity warranty is still in effect. He can also tell you the date the car was placed in service, so you will know when the 60 months started. Your best tool is the LeafSpy app, and expect to see at least a 15% reduction in capacity if its a Florida car. A used Leaf can be a great bargain if you are willing to wait out the degradation until a 4 bar loss.
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

NateWH
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2015

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks Keydriver! I'll send the VIN over to a Nissan service center to get that info. How has your experience been so far? I drive 25 miles round trip per day on average and the Leaf looks like it will fit the bill. But occasionally I'll head into Orlando from Winter Haven and there's at least 3 quick chargers along the route. Obviously 7 months of the year require AC on almost all the time. How does your climate control usage effect your range?

I should note that I'm easing into EV with a used Leaf because I'm patiently waiting for the lower cost Tesla to come out. Wish I could afford the S but it's out of my league.

Return to “Eastern USA”