Maryland Vehicle Excise Tax credit for Leaf - how is done?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dglot

So I had a shock when I went to pay for the Leaf.

When I bought my hybrid Honda in 2003 they simply had me sign a Maryland form and did not charge me tax.

I knew the new MD electric credit was limited to two thousand so I would have to pay a couple hundred of the tax as at 6% on 37400.

When they sat down to take my check the dealer (Passport Nissan of Marlow Heights) had the entire MD Vehicle Tax included. They also calculated tax on the the destination part of the charge.

Anyway when I showed them the form Maryland VR-334 (06-10) they said I would have to file that and receive the tax refund from the state. I related my Honda story, but their finance people said this had 'changed'. I did get them to fill out the form and I asked them to file it with my vehicle registration papers. I have a copy as well.

Anyone else having issues with this?

Dave Glotfelty

Well the dealership has 'seen the light'. They are having me in to sign the buying paperwork again. I also asked them to get in touch with there earlier sales - they mentioned I was not the first - they had sold one to someone who worked near congress and others. Hopefully that will go well. Basically they will file the form and not charge the $2000 of the MD excise (sales) tax.

Nissan really needs to help their dealerships out as they come online with the Leaf to know the various local incentives.

Well all's well that ends well. Really loving driving the 2012 SL.

Dave

PS Moral is - Marylanders make sure you get you tax credit!

Dave,

I asked my dealer about this when I got the car and they said I needed to apply for it. I didn't really have a problem with it because I already knew where to get the form. Interesting that they decided to take it off the price of the car. I paid it out of pocket and will wait for the state to send me the money. I wonder why they had a change of heart? My dealer is Darcars Nissan of Rockville.

Mark

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Planning/Electric_Vehicle/EV_FAQ.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/laws/MD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got my Leaf 12/23 and all went smooth wirh the tax credit. I bought at Sheehy Nissan in Glen Burnie. One thing they hit me up for was a $200 destination charge. I thought that that was built into the price. I'll have to go back and check it out again.

-Mike

Just picked up our Leaf today from Frederick Nissan. I brought in copies of all the pertinent info from the MVA website, but the salesman still insisted we needed to pay the tax upfront and apply for a refund after the fact. However, while we were there, somebody from MVA came in and said they should give us the credit upfront, so that's what happened. We got lucky!

I was in looking at one at Chevy Chase Nissan in Bethesda.
When I was there he said you had to apply. I said I did not think so and I should get it at purchase. He called me back 2 days later to tell me I was right :)

I had the same problem -- just bought mine in MD as well. Dealer had no clue about the credit and charged (and made me finance) the tax amount). Of course, I had no clue either. Has anyone gotten the tax back from the Dealer? Or do you have to get it back from the State if the Dealer already paid it?

My dealer had no clue either. I paid it out of pocket and have submitted form VR-334 to the DMV. I'll let you know how it goes. I sent out the form Tuesday. I did see a website that said the dealer should have the HOV sticker for you and that they should help you fill out the excise tax form. It did not mention that they had to give you a credit for it. I've let my dealer know about it and they said they'd check on it but so far no response. My dealer is Darcars Nissan in Rockville.

A dealer could call Passport of Marlow heights MD ( or buy there like myself - grin ) or Frederick Nissan - nice folks there too - I met them as well..

That should simplify the process.... I can't imagine the MVA issuing refunds although i suppose it might work.

Dave

dglot said:
.... I can't imagine the MVA issuing refunds although i suppose it might work.

Dave

I certainly hope it works, because that's the route I'm going. There is a form to fill out and send in to the MVA so based on that I would think there is a provision for directly paying the car owner. But by all means if it works out for you then get the rebate from the dealer - that would be an easier process. But failing that, send in the form. As I said, I'll let you know my experience with going that route.

Mark

Today my credit union got a check for $1,989.11 :? I called the dealer to find out why it wasn't the full $2,000 and they just didn't get it. They were saying that the credit is used to reduce the purchase price of the car and after that is done you pay tax on the remaining amount as long as it's over 33,333.33. So since it was more than that after reducing the purchase price, I'm not sure why the dealer sent a check for less than $2,000. Any ideas?

I got the following e-mail from my dealer about this issue. The bottom line is that they should not be charging you the tax in the first place. Now I have an extra $2,000 built into my loan, that even if I get the refund and apply it to the loan will keep my payments higher than they should be. Guess it's time to refinance the car . . .

Anyway --
--------------
I will be processing the license plates and registration for your Nissan Leaf. You are exempt from sales tax, and should never have been charged. This is something new the MVA has recently begun, so I do apologize for the inconvenience. We cannot take the tax of your loan because that part of the paperwork has already been processed. However, once your tag and title work is completed, I will send you a refund check in the amount of sales tax you paid the dealership. Your tag and title work should be completed within the next 2-3 weeks, and I will send you an email notifying you of the refund check. If you have any further questions please email or call me. Thank you!! Christina

prebson said:
Today my credit union got a check for $1,989.11 :? I called the dealer to find out why it wasn't the full $2,000 and they just didn't get it. They were saying that the credit is used to reduce the purchase price of the car and after that is done you pay tax on the remaining amount as long as it's over 33,333.33. So since it was more than that after reducing the purchase price, I'm not sure why the dealer sent a check for less than $2,000. Any ideas?

Check your sales contract to see the line item amount that they charged you for Excise Tax. If that's 1989.11, then that would probably explain it. If they actually charged you more than that in tax, then they need to rebate you what they charged you for tax up to $2000.

Hey Marylanders:

On Monday I received a (rebate) check from the State of Maryland for $2,000.00 Additionally, I have received an HOV sticker.

Thanks.

My dealer was Darcars Nissan in Rockville. I leased a 2012 SL.

They gave me the Federal Credit as a $7500 rebate off the top of the price. As for the excise tax credit, they charged me $2302.50 on line 4g, "sales tax paid in advance". They said that Maryland would forward them the $2000 check, and they would send it to the bank (NMAC), essentially making a $2000 payment on the lease. But, he said "just in case it gets sent to you directly, you can deposit it yourself". So, apparantly, tax credit checks from the state have been misdirected in the past?

I bought my Leaf on Dec. 17the from Len Stoler in Owings Mills. The finance manager was insistent that I had to pay sales tax and apply for the credit.

Does any one know what I should do at this point? Should I have the dealer request the MVA for refund or do I have to file the paperwork myself. Also, I did not get any HOV stickers too.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Raza
Ken said:
Hey Marylanders:

On Monday I received a (rebate) check from the State of Maryland for $2,000.00 Additionally, I have received an HOV sticker.

Thanks.

Raza said:
I bought my Leaf on Dec. 17the from Len Stoler in Owings Mills. The finance manager was insistent that I had to pay sales tax and apply for the credit.

Does any one know what I should do at this point? Should I have the dealer request the MVA for refund or do I have to file the paperwork myself. Also, I did not get any HOV stickers too.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Raza

Also, I was told by the dealership (Len Stoler in Owings Mills) that the $2000 tax credit did not apply for the lease. They said that they would only take off $7500 for the lease.
However, I purchase the car (did not lease). They did not take any $ amount off - neither the Federal (which I know I had to file for) nor the $2000 MD rebate (which I thought they should have) and I see that some dealership did take it off. This is upsetting as either Nissan did not communicate it to the finance part of the dealership or perhaps the finance people did not read the memo! Which is it and what do I do now.

Should I ask the dealership to at the very least file the paperwork (if they screwed up??) and also file for HOV stickers as well.?

Raza

Raza,

There is a form on the DMV website that you can fill out and send to the DMV. In my case that resulted in the dealer sending a check to the credit union that holds my loan. It seems that the dealers in Maryland are not all on the same page as to how this should work. My dealer, Darcars Nissan in Rockville, seems to think that they shouldn't credit you the rebate on the sales contract, while another dealer I heard of (Frederick Nissan?) was told by the DMV that they should apply it to the sales contract. Either way, you should get it once you file the form.

Mark

Back