Window Tinting in CO: A good idea or not?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradoren

Tinting question for Colorado Leaf owners:

I just got my Leaf this past week, love it, and am looking to optimize it as best I can. My understanding is that window tinting is a good way to reduce heat gain by as much as 50-66% in the cabin which should allow for a significantly reduced need for AC in summer. Obviously in TX, AZ, CA, FL, etc. this would be a no brainer.

But I'm wondering if I should pause because of our Colorado climate (hot summers AND cold winters). Does the heat avoidance in summer outweigh the loss of (desirable) heat gain in winter? Do any of you CO lef owners have experience with tinting and opinions on whether or not this is a net gain in terms of efficiency? If so, what type of tint did you get? Where did you get it? Are you happy with it? Is there anything else I should consider in the process of shopping?

With a 2012 I wouldn't bother with tint as far as the climate control goes. The AC, especially in the early models, is VERY efficient while the heater in the early models is a huge energy consumer. I'm in CA and I still decided against tint for my 2012.

Agreed. I love how much heat the car can capture in the winter. On sunny days I don't even feel the desire to run the heat no matter how cold out it gets. In the summer I just put up a sunshade on the windshield and park in the shade where possible.

I have tint all around at the legal limit and if I park it in the sun it still warms up in the winter. In the summer I put a windshield shade up. Honestly cold or hot I minimize my parking uncovered as much as possible. It really is only parked outside when going shopping etc. Home and work it is in a garage. The heater being more efficient in my car doesn't matter much to me as I never run it.

coloradoren said:

I just got my Leaf this past week, love it, and am looking to optimize it as best I can. My understanding is that window tinting is a good way to reduce heat gain by as much as 50-66% in the cabin which should allow for a significantly reduced need for AC in summer. Obviously in TX, AZ, CA, FL, etc. this would be a no brainer.

But I'm wondering if I should pause because of our Colorado climate (hot summers AND cold winters). Does the heat avoidance in summer outweigh the loss of (desirable) heat gain in winter? Do any of you CO lef owners have experience with tinting and opinions on whether or not this is a net gain in terms of efficiency? If so, what type of tint did you get? Where did you get it? Are you happy with it? Is there anything else I should consider in the process of shopping?

At your altitude you get a lot of UV light..cancer warning..so I would tint in that environment.

greengate said:
coloradoren said:

At your altitude you get a lot of UV light..cancer warning..so I would tint in that environment.

I recall reading that glass already blocks UV-B.

Back