Documentation for 2016 Rebate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheppy

I am really stumped on how to correctly/honestly get my Colorado state Nissan Leaf rebate. The dealer gave me a $5,500 incentive which is shown on my purchase agreement (under "Rebate(s)"). When you fill out Line 9 of the Colorado tax form “Any other grants, credits or rebates available" do I include the $5,500? Putting this $5,500 into the rebate calculator lowers my rebate from about $5,100 to $3,800 --- a huge difference. Furthermore, I think the $5,500 was a discount for using Nissan’s financing company -- so I am not sure if that counts as a "grant/credit/rebate".

The “FYI Income 67” document that Colorado put out states “Any manufacturer’s rebate or other rebate reflected in the purchase or lease agreement must also be deducted in the calculation of the credit.” However, when you send in the documentation, you have the option of sending either your purchase agreement or bill of sale. What's interesting is the bill of sale is that it doesn’t show the $5,500 “rebate” from the dealer.

So… would it be dishonest to leave the $5,500 dealer incentive off my taxes and send the bill of sale instead of the purchase agreement? Or, do you think that Colorado state sees so many Leaf rebates come through that they would call BS on me? I am leaning towards the “honest” approach – taking a smaller rebate.

I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer in the forums. What have other Colorado Leaf owners done?

i would just call them. Whenever i have had a question in Utah, I've called the state and someone there has answered the question, they are not going to give you advice bad one way or the other, they will answer it as the tax code was written. Unless others disagree. Accountants will want you to believe that you must not call the tax office and only have them do it for you.

you can call them. I bet it's a 5 mins call (once you are through to the right person)

Thank you SageBrush. I am talking about 2016 taxes. I bought my Leaf on 3/21/2016.

Duncan: Thanks for the tip on calling the state. It looks like their contact information is here https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/tax/income-tax-individual-help. Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tax Information: 303-238-SERV (7378). I will give this a try and report back.

msheppy said:
Thank you SageBrush. I am talking about 2016 taxes. I bought my Leaf on 3/21/2016.

Duncan: Thanks for the tip on calling the state. Does anyone out there have a number? I have looked through the Colorado state website and I didn't find one that was specific to rebates.
(303) 238-7378

So I just called the Colorado Department of revenue and they were very helpful. I learned the following:
(1) You DO have to report any dealer/manufaturer incentives -- $5,500 in my case
(2) Use the MSRP of the vehicle from the Bill of Sale -- which is higher than the base in my case because I have a 6.6 kW charger
(3) Submit the Purchase Agreement and Bill of Sale to be on the safe side

I will try to post an update in a few months on how everything went.

Google "innovative motor vehicle tax credit colorado"

Pay attention to this:

CLAIMING THE CREDIT A Colorado income tax return for the tax year in which the qualifying motor vehicle was purchased, leased, or converted must be filed in order to claim the credit. The income tax return claiming the credit must include the following attachments:

• A completed Form DR 0617
    A copy of the invoice, purchase agreement, or lease agreement for the qualifying motor vehicle
    A copy of the Colorado vehicle registration for the qualifying motor vehicle
    Any credit claimed for the purchase of a used vehicle must be accompanied by a Vehicle History Report" showing the vehicle was not previously registered in Colorado. A “Vehicle History Report” can be obtained from any of a number of third party companies that offer such reports. An internet search for the phrase "Vehicle History Report" should provide a listing of companies that can produce this report

Back