Leafs in Utah

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJD

Just wanted to check how many Leafs are now in Utah. Currently I only know of 3.
I am sure there are more of you out there.

1) Josh at Tim Dahle Nissan in Murray
2) MM in the SLC Aves
3) KJD in Sugarhouse area of SLC ( that would be me )

Let's hear it people where are you :)

Happy for you fellow Utahns! I can't wait until the orders open up in our state "by March 2012".

Have you, per chance, contacted your state legislators to complain that they do NOT include the Leaf on the list of "clean fuel vehicles" eligible for the (pitiful) $605 Clean Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit?

You might also want to ask why CNG vehicles qualify for up to... $2,500!

See my letter to the editor in the SL Tribune: Snubbing Electric Cars

You wouldn't believe how long I fought with the UT DMV just to get an HOV sticker. Hopefully it will now go smoother for everyone else but I don't see more $ on the way for incentives anytime soon.

Darren said:
You wouldn't believe how long I fought with the UT DMV just to get an HOV sticker. Hopefully it will now go smoother for everyone else but I don't see more $ on the way for incentives anytime soon.

Wow you actually got an HOV sticker, way to go. Now if we could electrify the I-15 corridor the same as they are going to do with I-5, then we would have something.

KJD

We just crossed the border this morning with a
2011 Leaf from Vacaville CA. Can't wait to take her
out for a spin!

KJWL said:
We just crossed the border this morning with a
2011 Leaf from Vacaville CA. Can't wait to take her
out for a spin!
Cooool! So... you're close to my area of St. George right now? Are you towing the Leaf? Or driving it? If the latter, you're welcome to use my EVSE to charge.

We towed it back on I-80 through Donner Pass. There seems to be quite a selection in the Bay area and we were tired of waiting. I now need to set up my home charging unit. Has anyone here done the EVSE upgrade? Any other recommendations aside from AV? Also, when registering and licensing any pitfalls I need to avoid? I really appreciate this forum and previous posts. Thank you!

KJWL said:
We towed it back on I-80 through Donner Pass. There seems to be quite a selection in the Bay area and we were tired of waiting. I now need to set up my home charging unit. Has anyone here done the EVSE upgrade? Any other recommendations aside from AV? Also, when registering and licensing any pitfalls I need to avoid? I really appreciate this forum and previous posts. Thank you!

Congrats on owning a new Leaf. When I tried to buy a AV unit they were reluctant to sell me one to install myself. Maybe that has changed now, best to call them and ask them.

I bought a GE Wattstation from Lowes. My garage already had a 220 outlet, so the GE unit was really easy to install, just mount it on the wall and plug it in.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_107343-76863-EVWSWBC-CP01_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3506910&UserSearch=ge+wattstation+&Ntt=ge+wattstation+&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are in SLC send me a PM and you can stop by and look at the Wattstation if you want.

KJD

KJWL said:
If you want a dedicated EVSE in your garage, I would suggest ordering a cash-and-carry EVSE from AeroVironment (like I did), or stop by Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a GE Wattstation, Schneider, or Leviton unit. You could then have your own electrician install it, probably for less than having an "assessment" done.

Even though I have my AV unit already installed, I also plan to upgrade my onboard L1 with Ingineer's modification --once I finally take delivery. I don't want to mess with unloading, plugging, unplugging, and reloading the latter every day, but do want to have the capability to use it with 240V outlets when on the road (dryer outlets, RV parks, marinas, etc.). It is true, however, than many owners are content to use their upgraded L1 as their sole EVSE. If you could do without charging your Leaf for several days, while having Ingineer upgrade your L1, maybe you'd like to try that first and then decide if a dedicated EVSE is also necessary. It would save you several hundred dollars, that's for sure!

Does anybody there live near (or within easy driving distance of) Park City or Midway?

The newest (2012) Dream Home is located on riverfront (Provo River?) property near Midway (see http://www.HGTV.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

If you can find it, I would like to know exactly where it is located, so I can Google Earth the lot.

Thanks, Gary

Leaf owners in SLC, are there really only 3 of us? We're in east mill creek, if you are interested,
I'd love to get a photo of us together w our new EVs. It won't ever be easier, we won't ever be fewer.
The pioneers! Let us know, Mike & Kelly L.

KJWL said:
Leaf owners in SLC, are there really only 3 of us? We're in east mill creek, if you are interested,
I'd love to get a photo of us together w our new EVs. It won't ever be easier, we won't ever be fewer.
The pioneers! Let us know, Mike & Kelly L.

I am curious, SLC Leaf owners, do you think the car would make it to Park City and back on 100% charge? Or for that matter, from PC to SLC and back?

garygid said:
What is the elevation change between PC and SLC.
I think Midway City (south of PC) is at 5900 feet.

SLC ~4200
PC ~6900

So net 2700 feet... but it's a fast climb up I-80, 65mph+. Plus there is a pass (Parley's Summit?) along the way that appears to be somewhat higher altitude, then down several hundred feet, then gradually back up.

LTLFTcomposite said:
garygid said:
What is the elevation change between PC and SLC.
I think Midway City (south of PC) is at 5900 feet.

SLC ~4200
PC ~6900

So net 2700 feet... but it's a fast climb up I-80, 65mph+. Plus there is a pass (Parley's Summit?) along the way that appears to be somewhat higher altitude, then down several hundred feet, then gradually back up.

I have been to the top of Parleys summit and over the other side. I got off the freeway at Jeremy Ranch ( bottom of hill far side) and then came back to SLC. It made it OK but I did not have a lot left in the pack on the second summit.

All the way to Park CIty and back on a single charge might be pushing the limits. I might try it when the weather gets warmer but not now. It was 18 here this morning.

KJD

KJD said:
It made it OK but I did not have a lot left in the pack on the second summit.

By "second summit" I assume you mean Parley's summit on the return trip, just up the hill from Jeremy Ranch. I'd think if you made it back to there you'd be home free... how much did you regain on the downgrade back to SLC? Did you actually light up any additional bars?

Yes parleys summit was my second summit and it was also the lowest mark on the GOM. Sorry I do not recall the exact reading.

I should also mention that I was not doing an economy run up the hill. I was doing 65 to 70 on the uphill side and it was great fun to pass so many gas guzzlers on a steep hill.

On the downhill side I put it into ECO mode to max out regen and it did gain bars, but again I did not record how many. Next sunny day I will do it again and keep better records. The main thing was that the car did make it on a single charge and it was a lot of fun doing it. :)

KJD

Salt Lake Leafers are meeting at Liberty Park (at the charging station)
at 10:00AM on Saturday. Hope to see everyone there tomorrow!

I can't believe I missed the get together. I have been busy lately and haven't been on the board much. Would love to get together sometime.

I went with the EVSE upgrade and love it! I considered the Watt Station but it was not out when I was looking last summer.

I have been to Park City up Provo Canyon. Going up drained the battery a lot. Coming down I used very little. It was last summer. Not sure I would do it in cold conditions as I didn't have much left.

Back