SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y8 - End - 18 Aug 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fully understand your reasoning, tbleakne.

But I have a very specific reason for disagreeing with you strongly.

I purchased Enhanced Autopilot largely to get Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC, not aTesla term) so that I could benefit from the car’s assistance in slowing down when traffic ahead of me slows or stops suddenly (and notably including the car two cars ahead).

I don’t really care about self steering or autonomous driving. I think that those features would help me in case I fell asleep accidentally, which I admit is highly possibly.

But I ordered EAP for the safety factor of helping reduce the likelihood of my colliding with a car ahead of me due to unexpected slowing or my own inattention. In fact, I’ll admit that I recently had a near accident due to daydreaming in a rental car in stop and go traffic, a situation that would have been mitigated by TACC that’s included with Tesla’s EAP.

So I think that EAP adds a lot of safety even without the self steering feature. And I suggest that the TACC feature would add safety for anyone who cruises the freeways.

I’ll be at HTB Santa Ana a bit early, around 7:45 to show the red Model 3.

I MIGHT leave a bit early, maybe 10:40 am to get to an OC Tesla meet up at Sonic Drive In in Costa Mesa at 11 am.

I’ll be at HTB Santa Ana a bit early, around 7:45 to show the red Model 3.

I MIGHT leave a bit early, maybe 10:40 am to get to an OC Tesla meet up at Sonic Drive In in Costa Mesa at 11 am.

I want to follow Boomer to the Costa Mesa Tesla meetup, so I will do my best to get to the breakfast earlier than I normally do. I thank Boomer for his comments on safety and hope to have more friendly discussion on this topic. I agree the current system is doing a lot to help reduce collisions with the car ahead. The tweak to the radar even allows your car to sense when the car ahead of the one you are following has slowed relative to you.

I will have in my car more surplus Cat 5e cable that I am taking to an e-waste event near me this weekend. I would be glad to drop off a modest amount of others' e-waste if you wish to bring it.

My new 4K TV was delivered today. Quite awesome, still many adjustments and tweaks to go.

Eleven to 13 bodies at HTB on the 21st of April.

Robert made a "root beer" float (with cherry coke), which inspired me to make a strawberry milkshake, ice cream, flavoring (strawberry "sauce" from the waffle area strawberry topping), and milk.

It took me 3 tries to get the proportions correct, and I had to drink all my mistakes!

I will try again at GC in May.

Our next EV Gathering is May 5th at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry.

Then, on May 19th, we meet at Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana.

At the GC, Phil intends to bring his new Red Model 3 Tesla.

Our next EV Gathering is on June 2nd, at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry.
Although GC opens at 7:30, we "gather" at 8 (but later for some folks).

After that, we jump 3 weeks to June 23rd to Gather at the Hometown Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana, 2 blocks East of I-5.
HTB opens at 8 AM.

Hope to see you there.

I understand that these are easy places for large groups, but I really wish there were other locations, as GC and Hometown Buffet have really declined in quality.

The decline in quality, is that our HTB and our GC locations, or other locations?

Do you have any specifics on what has declined?

We might be able to get the management to fix some of the problems that you have noticed.

Note that our next EV Gathering is on June 23rd, at the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana, 2 blocks East of I-5 on 17th Street.

There's a newer GC in Anaheim, on Lincoln near the 57. I haven't been there, but maybe it's worth trying?

I went to the Anaheim Golden Corral a few days ago. I don't think it's an option to consider for our group. Smaller seating area, fewer items on the menu, and no meeting room.

The EV Show 2018 - 2nd Annual - EV CARS, MOTORCYCLES, FOOD, BEER, MUSIC, FUN

Our second annual The EV Show 2018 celebration of all things Electric Vehicle (EV) will be held:

Saturday
14 July 2018
rain or shine
12 noon to 3 pm

Live music, great beer and fantastic food will be available on site:

1780 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California USA (north San Diego county)

Bring your PRINTED Eventbrite tickets to qualify to be entered to win drawings and also to redeem for food and beer. Prepaid beer tickets are just $5 and includes a commemorative The EV Show 2018 pint glass. Be the envy of all your friends !!

1) Please park your gasoline, diesel on other fossil fuel powered car on the street

2) Please park your production Electric Vehicle (EV) directly in front of the building in the normal parking spaces

3) Please park your show car Electric Vehicle (EV) in the alley behind the building, first come, first served. Enter the alley from the east side. Please ask event organizers prior to parking in the show area

The EV Show 2018 is sponsored by:

EV West
Stumblefoot Brewing
Quick Charge Power

City of San Marcos Special Event Permit SE18-00052

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-ev-show-2018-2nd-annual-ev-cars-motorcycles-food-music-fun-tickets-46899433468

If you can make it to Tony's EV Bash on Saturday the 14th, you are likely to be glad that you did.

At our last EV Gathering, we had close to 20 people show up at the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana, including Tony Williams.

Our next EV Gathering is this coming Saturday, the 7th of July, at the Golden Corral on the City of Industry.

See the first post of this thread to view all the dates for our EV Gatherings for the rest of 2018.

See you Saturday, hopefully, ... and have a good, and safe, 4th of July ... Gary

Note especially to Boomer23: I have posted comment about significant change to SCE online graphing on SCE thread under Utilities. Net solar production (negative consumption) seems to be missing. This is not good.

BTW I have been experimenting with Auto Pilot 1 on the Model S Tesla loaned me while my car underwent 75K mile maintenance, including installing a new traction motor, and body work to repair a dent they made while in the shop.

This loaner was produced Mar 2015. It has original nose cone and Auto Pilot 1. At first it was so scary I could only keep AP on for a few seconds at a time, but Gary explained how to set the following distance to maximum by twisting the stalk. Now I am using it regularly, including auto lane following. Comments:

Driving quality is not great but acceptable.
After 4 years of development, about equal to a teenager who has been driving for one week.
Response to cars moving into my lane ahead of me is slower than my own response would be. Sad.

Driving "quality" is defined by the car's control laws, how the car responds to sensory input. Control theory is an established discipline that has been around in aerospace engineering for at least half a century. It has very little to do with AI.

Hi fellow So Cal EVers.

Who would like to join me and a few other EV lovers to welcome and cheer on an intrepid EV enthusiast from Arizona State University who is on a month long road trip demonstrating and supporting sustainability throughout the West in a new Tesla Model 3?

We’ll be meeting him and his son at 8 am on Tuesday morning at the San Clemente Superchargers July 31, with breakfast at Ruby’s beginning at 8:30 am.

Details:
Join us to meet and support John S Martinson and his son as they complete a month long, 6,000 mile road trip through 10 states and 2 Canadian provinces in a new Tesla Model 3 LR as part of a sustainability project supporting Arizona State University’s School of Sustainability.
We will meet and greet at the San Clemente Outlet Superchargers at 8 am on Tuesday, July 31, and then adjourn to Ruby’s for breakfast at 8:30.
Depending on number of signups, and given the weekday timing, I’ll reserve space for us at Ruby’s.

I realize this is early on a Tuesday morning, so I’m not expecting a huge turnout, but a few enthusiastic souls would be a nice welcoming committee.

So who’s up for an extra breakfast meetup on July 31?

With the special event Tues the 31 and the previous special event Sat the 14th, how many of us are coming to regular event tomorrow, Sat 21, in Santa Ana? I would like to come if turnout will be normal or above.

Next Tuesday, July 24, I am leaving town for my annual trek to Lake Almanor, near Mt. Lassen Volacanic National Park, half way between Reno and Redding, to visit my friend from College and his wife. Remodel has just begun a pause of several weeks while much of the team takes big vacation camping in WY, and others of the family attend the birth of a grandchild.

I agree with Boomer that Traffic Aware Cruise Control should add real safety to driving in stop and go when driver attention fades, even though it performs worse than an alert driver. Does anyone have testimonials that the Tesla version of this feature alone currently performs significantly better than this feature on many other upscale cars at much lower price points? Many (most ?) of those other brands have only a single camera and no radar.

Here is link to my emodel project pictures, starting with "before" shots.

https://tomnature.smugmug.com/Travel/Remodel-2018/

Back