Santa Cruz/Monterey area to upgrade and add charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The locations of the new charging stations are still being worked out, but Sarris says they'll be in well-traveled areas near businesses and major highways. The stations are expected to be at both public sites such as parking garages and private sites such as shopping centers.
I sure hope they have the sense to include the Boardwalk parking lots. Our teenage grandsons love the place. If I've got to spend $11.00 to park there, the least they can do is give me enough electricity to get back home. (It's only 85 miles round trip for me, but with the mountains and three or four passengers I wouldn't risk it without a booster shot.)

planet4ever said:
The locations of the new charging stations are still being worked out, but Sarris says they'll be in well-traveled areas near businesses and major highways. The stations are expected to be at both public sites such as parking garages and private sites such as shopping centers.
I sure hope they have the sense to include the Boardwalk parking lots. Our teenage grandsons love the place. If I've got to spend $11.00 to park there, the least they can do is give me enough electricity to get back home. (It's only 85 miles round trip for me, but with the mountains and three or four passengers I wouldn't risk it without a booster shot.)

You would not make it and the pass back would kill your range, this is another perfect example why having L2 be 6-7.2 kw would make trips like this possible. In this case I could go to many bay area destinations including wine country but not with 3.3kw, it's completely restrictive without very long planned stops.

EVDRIVER said:
You would not make it and the pass back would kill your range, this is another perfect example why having L2 be 6-7.2 kw would make trips like this possible. In this case I could go to many bay area destinations including wine country but not with 3.3kw, it's completely restrictive without very long planned stops.
You're probably thinking hwy 17 from San Jose. I agree, I'd never make it that way. That's close to a 2000 foot climb from Santa Cruz on a relatively high speed mountain highway where if you go less than the speed limit you're a road boulder. No, I take hwy 152 from the Gilroy area. That's a quiet, though twisty, two-lane road with a maximum elevation 500 feet less than hwy 17. If I made it up to Mt. Madonna Inn with even 2kWh left in my battery I'm sure I could make it home safely.

When I take the boys to the Boardwalk I can never get them away in less than four hours. Four hours at 3.3kW is half a "tank". I may be old, but I've still got enough of a sense of adventure to try 85 miles on electricity that's normally supposed to take the car 150 miles, even if the 85 miles does include crossing a 1330' pass twice.

... Though I probably would try a run up to Mt. Madonna Park first, just to see what the pass does to my range.

planet4ever said:
EVDRIVER said:
You're probably thinking hwy 17 from San Jose. I agree, I'd never make it that way. That's close to a 2000 foot climb from Santa Cruz on a relatively high speed mountain highway where if you go less than the speed limit you're a road boulder. No, I take hwy 152 from the Gilroy area. That's a quiet, though twisty, two-lane road with a maximum elevation 500 feet less than hwy 17. If I made it up to Mt. Madonna Inn with even 2kWh left in my battery I'm sure I could make it home safely.

When I take the boys to the Boardwalk I can never get them away in less than four hours. Four hours at 3.3kW is half a "tank". I may be old, but I've still got enough of a sense of adventure to try 85 miles on electricity that's normally supposed to take the car 150 miles, even if the 85 miles does include crossing a 1330' pass twice.

... Though I probably would try a run up to Mt. Madonna Park first, just to see what the pass does to my range.

The Leaf weighs 3600 lbs, that pass will take a chunk out of your range that will surprise you.

My rudimentary knowledge of mechanics has accumulated about 50 years of rust since I last used it, so this is probably bonkers, but let's see:

In theory, would it take 3600 * 1330 = roughly 4.8M foot-pounds to lift the Leaf straight up above Santa Cruz to the height of that pass? That would be added to the energy required to propel the car, so let's just look at the delta. Let's also assume the motor and vehicle together are only 80% efficient, and call it 6M foot-pounds = 8.1M joules.

Since a joule is a watt-second, that's 8.1M/3600K = 2.25kWh. So, maybe I lose 10 miles of range going up the pass and get 5 back from regen on the way down.

No, that number doesn't surprise me - or faze me. Where did I go wrong?

Check this out: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=309&p=6025

Adjust for passenger/cargo weight, and we still don't know the curb weight of the car.

planet4ever said:
(It's only 85 miles round trip for me, but with the mountains and three or four passengers I wouldn't risk it without a booster shot.)
It's about the same for me when I go to my condo in Aptos, and I wouldn't risk it either, at least not until I hear that someone else can manage the summit both ways. I also hope they put one in the cell phone lot at SFO, but I doubt they will be going in places like that where vandalism would be a likely problem. I should be able to make it there and back, though.

Back