ehunter
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2013

Socially acceptable way? (dealin w/ICED charge-stations)

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:39 am

Years ago, traveling to Venezuela, it was brought to my attention the way the traffic authorities dealt with people from parking in the airport loading zone. The authorities would apply this sticker across your windshield. They did this because the Taxi drivers liked to park in these areas and enter the airport to solicit business from the people and thus blocking the areas with un-manned vehicles. These huge stickers stuck pretty good especially since the avg temp in Caracas is 95 degrees.

Anyway, I walked out with a driver one day, and the windshield was stickered. They even have a message on the stickers to not park in these zones. The driver grumbled, moved his car to a better place with his head hanging out the window to see, and started work to remove the sticker. It took him about 10-15 minutes and I could tell he had a lot of experience doing this. This included sopping hot water out his radiator and onto the sticker. No damage to the car/windshield after the sticker is gone. Those Venezuelans can be pretty clever.

Anyway, do you think it would be socially unacceptable to place a very small-scale sticker having a polite message on it, like maybe 4x6in, either on the sweet-spot of a windshield or even the drivers side window? I imagine if the owner caught you putting a sticker on their car things could get ugly. But what else could be done to get these guys to show some respect to our situation?

drees

Re: Socially acceptable way? (dealin w/ICED charge-stations)

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:43 am

Not socially acceptable to mess with other people's cars in the USA.

Just leave a polite note.

But if they are inconsiderate enough to ICE a parking spot, be prepared to deal with a rude, irate driver should you encounter them.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

dan2112
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2014

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:52 pm

As always - It depends.
I would be very careful messing with other peoples property - even leaving a note is a stretch in my opinion.
If the charging station is on Private Property, then you are SOL. The signage means nothing unless the owner of said property enforces it. If it is a city or other municipality then call your local "traffic enforcement" agency and let them deal with it. While I am not a lawyer and profess no legal expertise - I think messing with somebody's property might be a really bad idea.
2014 SL Leaf (Gun Metal)
HCS-40 EVSE

pchilds
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 006141

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:23 pm

dan2112 wrote:As always - It depends.
I would be very careful messing with other peoples property - even leaving a note is a stretch in my opinion.

I don't know where you live; but, any time I park in a public location, it is very likely that some form of add, pamphlet or business card, will be left on my car. How is leaving a note any different?
2011 LEAF, gone,
2012 RAV4 EV,
2015 Model S 85D,
Solar PV 5.25 kW system.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm

pchilds wrote:
dan2112 wrote:As always - It depends.

I don't know where you live; but, any time I park in a public location, it is very likely that some form of add, pamphlet or business card, will be left on my car. How is leaving a note any different?

Some drivers will ICE out of ignorance or lack of observation.

Others do it deliberately, whether out of selfishness or spite. It's these last that can become belligerent when confronted by so much as a polite note. As insane as it seems, they were already mad at you.

You never know for sure which they might be.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 pm

There is a topic for this already, with many posts - and photos.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ehunter
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2013

Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Can you link to where the topic is?

I recall on one of the plug share apps a guy in a red truck who consistently ICEs the same popular station, and when approached, said his 4x4 was an EV. He thinks the person who pointed it out did not know the difference and he continues to repeat. Bottom line is he just does not care and knows he can get away with it every time.

There are no laws on the books that can be enforced if somebody ICEs a station. At least in San Francisco there are not. Just hope you have the juice to make it to the next station else you are hosed.

Turnover
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 410371

Wed May 07, 2014 12:43 pm

I simply take the unusable charging cable and carefully loop it around the driver's side rear view mirror. :twisted: Once I even had to do it on a Leaf that was taking advantage of the slot and didn't even try to plug in... Costs nothing, damages nothing, and gets the point across. Does make the person look to be an idiot, however.
2012 SL:
03/30/16 43,300 mi - 383 QC's & 2467 L1/L2's 79% SOH
2013 SV (#410371) - Purchased 4/25/2016:
4/28/16 18,115 mi- 4 QC's & 705 L1/L2's 97% SOH
2/18/17 28,756 mi- 66.17 AHr, SOH 100%, Hx 101.45% 284 GiDs

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed May 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

drees

Wed May 07, 2014 11:27 pm

ehunter wrote:There are no laws on the books that can be enforced if somebody ICEs a station. At least in San Francisco there are not. Just hope you have the juice to make it to the next station else you are hosed.

Yeah there is:
CA AB475 requires connection to the EVSE to avoid cite/tow

As long as the parking spot has the appropriate signage, they can be cited. For incosiderate douche bags like the 4x4 driver, citations are the only thing that will keep them out of a convenient parking spot.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

Return to “Pacific USA”