Extend 2-yr lease to 3. Get the CA rebate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbender

I'm only half serious, but I've go to ask. Silly me, I was unaware of the big difference when I got the deal on my current two-year lease. Of course, the deal may only have been available for the two-year version; they may have factored in the $2500 and adjusted terms accordingly to make my cost or their profit the same.

I'm just wondering what to do as my term comes to an end in the fall -- extend the lease, which I've read is not that difficult, or lease a 2014 for three years and get the CA rebate by doing that. (If by some miracle extending the lease did qualify me for the rebate, that would surely help option 1, but not rule out leasing anew.)

Thoughts? Anyone else face a similar decision? If I extend, do I risk some other incentive (like the federal credit, "no charge to charge", or even the CA rebate) disappearing before the end of 2015? Is the 2014 that much better than a 2012 (and//or "worse" in some ways, such as slower acceleration)? I have 12 bars in 18k miles, but doubt that the continued (slow) loss of range in the next year would be a significant inconvenience.

You have to send them a copy of the lease for at least 30 months. I think the paperwork would be difficult on a lease extension unless you receive a new lease.

By the way, unlike the federal credit that Nissan allows as a discount, the check is mailed directly to you.

aat167 said:
Did you extend your lease and if yes, were you able to claim the $2500 rebate?
No, as my updated signature shows, I opted to grab a good 3-year lease offer on a 2015 (which came out surprisingly early). I got the $2,500 back from CA on it though, which just happened to be what my down payment was ;-).

The CVRP website says you have up to 18 months to file for the rebate....After that, and I think you'd have a hard time...

^^^
Yeah, I saw that too.

I've been meaning to contact the CVRP folks about this question since I've been sent an offer in snail mail to continue my 2 year lease for another year at the same payments. If I can get the $2500 CVRP (which I was ineligible for since I originally got a 2 year), I'd be much more inclined to extend my lease.

However, I'm already past 18 months into my lease.

If can't become eligible for $2500 CVRP... the car will likely go back to Nissan.

Back