How to Promote the West Coast Electric Highway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBornstein

There are many ways to promote the West Coast Electric Highway, and we can all do our part to help. Tony Williams is trying to promote the placement of two CHAdeMO systems between Santa Barbara and San Jose along US-101 as way to connect Northern and Southern California. It is an admirable effort, unfortunately it needs MONEY.

There is however, something we all can do and that is to vote with our wallets and our e-mails.

The "Outlets at Tejon Ranch" opened recently at the base of the Grapevine at the Laval Road exit of I-5. I visited it a week ago and went to the office to comment that they really needed to install some L3 chargers to attract EV drivers from LA. I pulled out PlugShare to show the poor lady behind the counter that the Central Valley was essentially devoid of public charging stations for at least 50 miles in both directions, and if you owned a Leaf in LA, you could drive to the outlets, but like the Roach Motel, you can get there but you can't get back.

OK, I stretched the point a little, but how many Leaf owners carry a portable EVSE that they can use at the ShorePower outlets at Flying J Frasier Park?

The nice lady replied that I was only the 2nd person to mention EV's since the place opened a few weeks earlier. (I was probably also the first having sent an e-mail as soon as the place opened, and possibly the third as I sent another e-mail when I got home).

Get the hint? What if we bombard them with e-mails saying that we would love to visit but our cars just can't make the round trip?

Here is a link to their comment form:

http://tejonoutlets.com/contact.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might mention that Elon loved the location so much that he placed one of his SuperChargers stations right across the freeway, but unfortunately you have to own an $85,000 TESLA to use it. The rest of us would just love to use one at your mall, and probably drop a few bucks in the stores.

There are many malls such as this in California, and a few are enlightened enough to have installed NRG evGO or Chargepoint chargers. The rest could use a few (hundred) letters. The point is that they are usually located with a few miles of major freeways.

“nearly 21 percent of consumers purchasing an electric car had an average household income of $175,000 or more”

http://press.experian.com/United-St...ic-vehicle-are-younger-and-more-affluent.aspx

Your location is an essential charging stop for EV drivers (like me) wishing to travel between northern and southern California. ChargePoint.com, NRGeVgo.com, or SemaCharge.com can help you attract those customers for an extended visit.

I just sent a message to the Tejon Outlets on their contact form asking for a DC fast charger. Also have information that the California Energy Commission may be putting a few fast chargers in later this year, but not sure.

If you are reading this and want to travel regionally with your EV, please make your voice heard to the Tejon Outlets folks.

There are very few public chargers between Valencia and Sacramento, and even fewer that are conveniently located and/or fast (L3). The stretch between Valencia and Bakersfield is probably the worst, and the fact that it's a 4,000 foot pass doesn't help. We need infrastructure badly.

Michael,

Lloyd Tran says he expects his DCFC to be installed at Laval Rd. (Wheeler Ridge/Tejon Outlet Malls) by this summer. Across I-5 from Tesla's superhcharger.

CEC Grant.

He's got a companion station in the same time period at I-5 and 126 (Santa Clara valley) in Vallencia.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Michael,

Lloyd Tran says he expects his DCFC to be installed at Laval Rd. (Wheeler Ridge/Tejon Outlet Malls) by this summer. Across I-5 from Tesla's superhcharger.

CEC Grant.

He's got a companion station in the same time period at I-5 and 126 (Santa Clara valley) in Vallencia.

Paul
Excellent news! Perfect locations for connecting the San Joaquin Valley and the LA basin. Hope they will support CHAdeMO and CCS.

Back