CA HOV sticker - best method to ensure easy removal later

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amigajoe

Hi. Forgive me if this has been asked, but I did a search of the forum and didn't seem to come up with anything.

I just got my California HOV stickers and before I put them on I want to figure out if there are any tricks. I think I've read that you should apply a generous amount of polish to the spots first, but something else I just read sounds even more intriguing - applying 3M protective film (custom cut to the shape of the sticker, theoretically).

Has anyone else tried this ? I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid and I know that the stickers were not fun to try to remove. Does anyone have a small amount they want to sell me ? (Yes, I can buy a big roll on ebay fairly cheap, but I don't need a huge roll !)

Thanks !

I used white sign vinyl. I got a piece from a sign shop. They had one type that does not want to come off without being heated, and another that comes off easily. Worked great. My only issue is with the HOV Stickers themselves getting peeled loose by the car wash.

You probably realize they're difficult to remove (and fall apart if you try), on purpose -- to discourage theft of the stickers.

I'd note that by trying to circumvent that "feature" you're leaving yourself open to theft and also the more owners who adopt this practice, the more thieves will be encouraged to try stealing the HOV stickers in general.

rawhog said:
I used white sign vinyl. I got a piece from a sign shop. They had one type that does not want to come off without being heated, and another that comes off easily. Worked great. My only issue is with the HOV Stickers themselves getting peeled loose by the car wash.

Thanks. Did you get the kind that needs heat, or the kind that comes off easily ? If the latter... how 'easily' ? Also, when the stickers come off a bit at the car wash, do they stick right back on ?

And in that regard - how 'easily' do they peel off ? I mean, I'm not paranoid about them being stolen, but do they peel off with almost zero effort ? (Not that people looking to steal them would realize that, assuming they are cut to be 'invisible')

Thanks !

wongfeihong187 said:
Leave them on... they're worth more with the stickers in place.

I know I'm looking far out, but since I keep my cars for ten years (done it twice so far, and I'm 40), I plan on having my LEAF for long after the HOV stickers expire (unless we are lucky enough that they extend them for several years). That said, they won't add any value to the car at that point, and thus my question. ;-

Thanks. :)

Nubo said:
You probably realize they're difficult to remove (and fall apart if you try), on purpose -- to discourage theft of the stickers.

I'd note that by trying to circumvent that "feature" you're leaving yourself open to theft and also the more owners who adopt this practice, the more thieves will be encouraged to try stealing the HOV stickers in general.

I hear you, but what, really, would make them valuable to thieves ? I mean, they cost $8.00 for people who can use them, and they can't be stolen and sold to someone with a non EV. (Well, technically, someone really balzy could try to use them on a non plug-in Prius or something...) Not saying that there are no cases of theft, just saying that it is very rare, I bet.

Just my two pence.

I'd try goo gone first. Soak it up, keep adding more. It may take hours to loosen up and peel with ease. As far as steeling them? Once goo goned off the stickers will never stick again.

I actually saved one of the big stickers that was to go on the drivers side corner as a backup. I really don't think a cop would be concerned that one of the 3 stickers is missing... Secondly, they watch diamond lane from my right side, so I reckon, why bother? Lastly, if cop can't tell an electric car, he's retired.

And if I was to use that sticker on an ICE, I don't think I'll get too far. Those things are actually somewhat useless.

And one more thing. After I stuck them on I coated them with Klasse car polish to seal any open areas along the sticker's edge to prevent future pealing due to water incursion.

The mounting instructions say to mount them with the state seal "up",
which would require the seal to be upside down. I suspect that they
meant to have the state seal "upright". In either case, poor instructions.

It seems that the mounting instructions might be just suggestions.
One wonders what the associated law actually requires.

The stickers are not that ugly on my car. That said if the dealer had not ordered them I would not have bothered.

In three years removal will be Mercedes's problem.

Back