Placerville to South Lake Tahoe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayareauser

Hi,

Has anyone made it over to South Lake Tahoe after the final charge on Highway 50 at Placerville?

If so, please advice your speed and any charging spots to make this possible. I will be doing this in the daytime and won't be using lights or heater.

Thanks
TC

Bayareauser said:
Hi,

Has anyone made it over to South Lake Tahoe after the final charge on Highway 50 at Placerville?

If so, please advice your speed and any charging spots to make this possible. I will be doing this in the daytime and won't be using lights or heater.

Thanks
TC
I don't know if anyone has actually done it, but here's some route advice I wrote re using the L2 at Walgreen's a couple of years back:

"Provided you're willing to fully charge there, the one in Placerville makes trips from Sacramento to S. Lake Tahoe at least thinkable. You'd have to take it pretty slowly owing to the 5,500 foot climb, but you can travel side roads (Carson Rd./Pony Express Trail) the 14 miles to Pollock Pines, and bypass the pass on Echo Summit Rd./Old Meyer's Grade Rd. I'm not sure you could make it non-stop but it would be worth a try, and you could probably get an L1 charge at one of the small towns/roadside restaurants along the way if necessary."

Note that Echo Summit/Old Meyer's Grade Roads are probably closed this time of year, and if open would probably have snow on them in any case. Per Plugshare you now have three J1772 locations in Placerville instead of just the one at Walgreen's. The furthest east one is at the park and ride, but you'd need to walk over to the south side of the freeway to one of the restaurants along Chiles road. If you take Carson road and keep it down to no more than 30-35 there, and no more than 55 (50 preferred) until Hwy 50 narrows and traffic slows, I think you can make it. Jurassic test says you can make it at 50 mph with a few % to spare, but I wouldn't trust it that close. Sierra at Tahoe ski resort apparently has L1. If you haven't already, have a look at Plugshare to see your charging options: http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back