Grant Awarded for Lake Tahoe Area EV Readiness Plan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Saw an article in the S.F. Chronicle about this, and surprised no one's mentioned it. IMO it's long overdue:
Grant Awarded for Tahoe-Truckee Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan
http://evnewsreport.com/grant-awarded-for-tahoe-truckee-electric-vehicle-readiness-plan/30447/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
I had to click on the link just to understand what this is about.
GRA, it would be nice if you included a couple sentences of your thoughts and summary on the many links you post to the forum.

[MOD NOTE: Moved to Pacific USA forum]

drees said:
LeftieBiker said:
I had to click on the link just to understand what this is about.
GRA, it would be nice if you included a couple sentences of your thoughts and summary on the many links you post to the forum.

[MOD NOTE: Moved to Pacific USA forum]
You've got to be the first person who ever suggested that I wasn't sufficiently verbose when expressing my opinions, here or elsewhere! :lol: When I post a link without a lot of editorial comment, it's so that others who may be interested in the subject can check it out for themselves and reach their own conclusions, and the rest can ignore it. In this case I thought the title was self-explanatory, and I didn't need to give chapter and verse on why I thought it was a good idea - "IMO it's long overdue" said everything I needed to say at the outset, and anyone who wanted to hear why I thought so could ask me. When I think it's necessary to lay out my opinion and reasoning in depth at the beginning (or any other part) of a thread, I've never been shy about doing so.

There's quite a few posts I've run across where it's simply not possible to tell what you're linking to without actually clicking on the link. So some background in many cases would be helpful.

Many forums have specific guidelines for posting news links, for example, PriusChat.

I read it as the Tahoe (Big giant domestic truck) Truck-EE (marketing term for an EV pickup???) EV Readiness Plan (In case of zombies).

The article was a giant let down after that.

I initially read it as something to do with an EV version of the Tahoe truck, with UPS capability. There is a similar truck available, although I don't *think* it is a Tahoe.

2k1Toaster said:
I read it as the Tahoe (Big giant domestic truck) Truck-EE (marketing term for an EV pickup???) EV Readiness Plan (In case of zombies).

The article was a giant let down after that.
Shouldn't you have posted this with yesterday's date? ;)

drees said:
There's quite a few posts I've run across where it's simply not possible to tell what you're linking to without actually clicking on the link. So some background in many cases would be helpful.

Many forums have specific guidelines for posting news links, for example, PriusChat.
It appears that, being a Northern California native, I assumed that pretty much everyone in the U.S. would be aware of Lake Tahoe, and thus the meaning would be clear. I sort of figured everyone would have at least seen "The Godfather, Part 2" even if they've never visited the area :D

Condo at Tahoe property where 'Godfather's' Fredo died is Wall St. Journal's House of the Year
https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/condo-at-tahoe-property-where--godfather-s--fredo-died-is-wall-st--journal-s-house-of-the-year-002444191.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will attempt to provide more details to links in future posts, without re-posting so much that it makes clicking on the link superfluous. I tend to prefer just the links or minimum quotes myself, both because I don't want to waste bandwidth, and to avoid any copyright issues.

GRA said:
drees said:
It appears that, being a Northern California native, I assumed that pretty much everyone in the U.S. would be aware of Lake Tahoe, and thus the meaning would be clear.
Heh... I got it, but then I've long lived in California and visit Truckee/Tahoe frequently.

Thanks for sharing the link. I just cross-posted it to the MyRAV4EV forum and yes, glad to hear about it! Now, how long will it take to get results...

$200,000 to study the issue? No money to do an install. :roll:
Here is your study: Just put one at Truckee Shell across from McDonalds.
(Courtesy Google Maps)

If someone wants it somewhere else just do that too with the left over money I just saved you CA. :|

LeftieBiker said:
What confused matters were the dual meaning of the word "Tahoe" and the use of the word "Truckee."
Thinking about it when I woke up in the middle of the night, I came to the same conclusion. Californians in general and Northern Californians in particular don't need to have 'Tahoe' preceded by 'Lake'; the presence of 'Lake' is understood, as is the fact that you're referring to the entire area, and anyone familiar with 'Tahoe' in that sense is also familiar with 'Truckee'*. A simple change of title should clear up the confusion.

*(What, Northern California generally and the Bay Area in particular isn't the center of the Universe? Are you sure? I'll check the Wiki and get back to you ;) )

smkettner said:
$200,000 to study the issue? No money to do an install...
$200k seems to be the going rate to draw up a map...

The:

Upstate California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan

Upstate California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan - Final Report
(308 pages!)

http://www.siskiyoucounty.org/pev" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are both available at the links on the site above.

Direct link to map of proposed sites:

http://www.schatzlab.org/projects/policyanalysis/pev/upstate/charger-map.html?scenario=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After ~ 2 years and ~$200k spent, the entire proposed site map looks reasonable.

Following the same mistakes made (IMO) in most other areas, too many suburban DCs and L2s, too few DC sites along highways.

...on the other hand, the same ~$200 k spent to install a few DC/L2 sites might have gone further to promote BEVs.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3319&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smkettner said:
$200,000 to study the issue? |

I was thinking the same thing. How much effort does it take to find charging stations, assess their condition, and find viable locations for more charging stations?

Back