Bakersfield to Ridgecrest: Anyone Done It?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

At the suggestion of Karl Olmstead (Ridgecrest), I am throwing open the question whether anyone from the south valley or Bakersfield has driven to Ridgecrest in something other than a Tesla. Rather than reinvent the wheel, maybe some of you have done and can tell us how you did it: via Tehachapi or via the Kern River Valley.

If we do it, I'll write up a trip report. For now I am waiting for a possible charging stop in Weldon.

Paul Gipe

Although not optimally placed, my outlets and evse are available, Paul. 50A, 240V outlet in Lake Isabella (on Erskine Creek Road, up past the high school) and 30A EVSE or 50A outlet at my regular home just off Highway 178 between Inyokern and Ridgecrest. Starting at Lake Isabella, altitude is about 2800 feet; in Inyokern it is 2200. Of course, Walker Pass is up around 5K. Once over the pass, making Ridgecrest is pretty much assured. I gained a full battery bar on the descent, and then there's another 1000' descent from Highway 14 into Inyokern. Ridgecrest is about six miles further east.

As mentioned, the only parts I've done are Inyokern-Walker Pass-Inyokern. The trip from my Inyokern house to the Lake Isabella place is 56 miles. I suspect that the KOA you've already discovered is the best charging spot you're going to find along that stretch of 178, but you should be able to make Ridgecrest from there.

-karl

kolmstead said:
Although not optimally placed, my outlets and evse are available, Paul. 50A, 240V outlet in Lake Isabella (on Erskine Creek Road, up past the high school) and 30A EVSE or 50A outlet at my regular home just off Highway 178 between Inyokern and Ridgecrest. Starting at Lake Isabella, altitude is about 2800 feet; in Inyokern it is 2200. Of course, Walker Pass is up around 5K. Once over the pass, making Ridgecrest is pretty much assured. I gained a full battery bar on the descent, and then there's another 1000' descent from Highway 14 into Inyokern. Ridgecrest is about six miles further east.

As mentioned, the only parts I've done are Inyokern-Walker Pass-Inyokern. The trip from my Inyokern house to the Lake Isabella place is 56 miles. I suspect that the KOA you've already discovered is the best charging spot you're going to find along that stretch of 178, but you should be able to make Ridgecrest from there.

-karl

Thanks Karl. That 240 V 50-amp service at Erskine Creek could be a real boon.

I am still hoping that we can use the TT-30 at the Audubon reserve. I'll call them this week. The KOA only has TT-30 as well. Tony Williams is rigging up a TT-30 adapter. If I have my druthers, I'd stop at the reserve.

Near Ridgecrest is your place and in Ridgecrest is Alan Kirk's place. There's the RV park as well.

Paul

I'm roughly a mile west of the RV Park. It's right on Highway 178. Bertrand's MH and RV Park; 760-377-4000. Convenient place to charge, but nothing to do (or eat) nearby.

Wonder if Alan Kirk drives a red leaf. That's the only other one I've seen in Ridgecrest. There are quite a few Volts, however.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
I'm roughly a mile west of the RV Park. It's right on Highway 178. Bertrand's MH and RV Park; 760-377-4000. Convenient place to charge, but nothing to do (or eat) nearby.

Wonder if Alan Kirk drives a red leaf. That's the only other one I've seen in Ridgecrest. There are quite a few Volts, however.

-Karl

Plugshare says a Tesla has charged at Ridgecrest Fairgrounds RV Park on the east side of town. Not cheap at $24. Maybe fine for a Tesla but that's a lot for a Leaf. ;)

Paul

Karl, Alan,

I just called the Lake Isabella RV Resort in Mountain Mesa. They have 50-amp service and she said I could charge there.

We have a trip to LA coming up, but after that we'll take a run up to Mountain Mesa and test her circuit. (We had a ground fault at one RV site in Kernville, so I know these sites are not a slam dunk to charge.)

We'll gone on down to the Kern River Preserve at the RV Park. The reserve manager, Reed Tollefsen's not sure charging there would work. We'll need to look at and test his TT-30 circuit. The road in is fine for a Leaf, but may not work for a Tesla. They've had people complain about bottoming out and the preserve is a "use at your own risk" kind of place.

Paul

The dirt road to the Preserve parking is very short; just a few hundred feet. I did it in a Honda S2000, so I can't imagine anyone having much trouble in any other vehicle. Maybe they haven't had people or equipment to maintain it recently. It's a low-key operation, maintained by volunteers.

Regarding ground faults, it would be a good idea to carry an adapter that ties the neutral and ground together using a resistor. Ingineer has given a schematic and values for a plug which will prevent ground faults safely.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
The dirt road to the Preserve parking is very short; just a few hundred feet. I did it in a Honda S2000, so I can't imagine anyone having much trouble in any other vehicle. Maybe they haven't had people or equipment to maintain it recently. It's a low-key operation, maintained by volunteers.

Regarding ground faults, it would be a good idea to carry an adapter that ties the neutral and ground together using a resistor. Ingineer has given a schematic and values for a plug which will prevent ground faults safely.

-Karl

Karl,

Correct. The road is not maintained and Reed doesn't want to spend the money to grade it. I found it surprising that people would drive in to the preserve then complain about damage to their cars. It seems pretty obvious when you look at the road that you have to be careful. Still, Reed deals with the public and you run into all kinds of people--some who will complain about anything.

That may also explain why he's reluctant to let us charge. We may have to work with him on this. The TT-30 is not much, but it's helpful and it beats sitting around at an RV park to walk in the woods at the preserve.

On the "ground adapter", I'll have to look into that. This is getting on the edge of my knowledge of electricity and at 240 V I don't want to screw up.

The route over Walker Pass climbs 2800 feet and descends 3000 feet into Ridgecrest.

We'll see how we do on the trip to LA. If that goes well we can plan the trip to Ridgecrest.

Paul

Karl, Alan,

We have a brief window to come to Ridgecrest on Sunday the 7th and return on Monday the 8th. I know Alan will be away.

We'd probably stay at the Clarion--once we get there. ;)

Back