lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:18 pm

drees wrote:You need more than just the adapter, Nissan also accounts for whether or not the '11 has the cold weather package and builds replacement packs accordingly. On top of that, you need a special programming card and expensive Nissan Consult diagnosis software to program the battery pack to the car.

Additionally, an on-line assess to Nissan's network with an access code may be required for some ECU module coding,
e.g. the BMS, as is the case presently with most all OEMs for major re-flashes. Furthermore, the re-flash file
may not be resident on the Nissan Consult diagnostic tool and having controlled access.

Bern101
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 006302

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 pm

drees wrote:You need more than just the adapter, Nissan also accounts for whether or not the '11 has the cold weather package and builds replacement packs accordingly. On top of that, you need a special programming card and expensive Nissan Consult diagnosis software to program the battery pack to the car.

This is really the Achilles heel of used LEAFs with worn out batteries. If you could easily retrofit a nearly new pack from a wrecked LEAF at half the cost of Nissan's current retail cost to replace the pack ($5500-6500), the resale value of the LEAF would be a better.

You simply can not justify spending $6k to replace the battery in an old LEAF when you can buy a much newer one with a better pack for $8-9k.

And what about putting a 2012 battery with the cold weather package in a 2011 Leaf which does not have the cold weather package?

It is possible ?

Thank's

Cor
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2015

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Bern101 wrote:And what about putting a 2012 battery with the cold weather package in a 2011 Leaf which does not have the cold weather package?

I think that while it would be possible to use the battery, you can't use the Cold Weather package as the power for the heaters comes from outside. Look at the front of the battery: if it has a BIG 2-pin orange connector and a smaller to the left and the round control connector to the right, then the smaller is for the Cold Weather (heater) power. On cars without the Cold Weather package, the smaller connector is absent.
The car has a relay (contactor) to provide power to the Cold Weather package, plus the cable to the battery with the smaller orange/red connector. If your car does not have the Cold Weather package, that is absent so the battery cannot use its heaters.
Hope this clarifies,
Cor.

Cor

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Update on the upgrade process:
I was doing other stuff for a while (putting 2 Leaf packs into my EV truck to give it a new life - love that truck now!)
but just today I picked up a 2012 which earlier this year has received a warranty battery exchange with a new battery.
That battery is going to be moved into someone else's beloved Leaf and I will find another battery for this poor guy.
So, these is still some movement of batteries, although it is increasingly hard to get my hands on a battery.
I heard a rumor that the Leaf parts and batteries are going to Eastern Europe / Russia and dismantlers here are unable to buy any decent Leaf.
Don't know if that is true and what is happening with crashed Leafs, I just see that prices have gone up and I often wonder how anyone is going to make a living when the sale price of a crashed Leaf is approaching the price of used Clean-Title Leafs on Craigslist - it makes no sense.
That is one reason why I jumped when I saw a Leaf for sale with new battery...

Cor

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Cor wrote:
Bern101 wrote:And what about putting a 2012 battery with the cold weather package in a 2011 Leaf which does not have the cold weather package?

I think that while it would be possible to use the battery, you can't use the Cold Weather package as the power for the heaters comes from outside. Look at the front of the battery: if it has a BIG 2-pin orange connector and a smaller to the left and the round control connector to the right, then the smaller is for the Cold Weather (heater) power. On cars without the Cold Weather package, the smaller connector is absent.
The car has a relay (contactor) to provide power to the Cold Weather package, plus the cable to the battery with the smaller orange/red connector. If your car does not have the Cold Weather package, that is absent so the battery cannot use its heaters.
Hope this clarifies,
Cor.

Thinking about this a little more - I think that it might be possible to put the non-Cold Weather package front plate on a battery with heaters (or move the heaters into a battery that did not have them) and wire a small contactor from the battery pack (similar as the pre-charge contactor)
to be closed only when the main contactor is closed *and* temperture is below a certain threshold. So, wire a thermostat contact in the 12V line that taps the coil of the main contactor, to power the extra "heater"contactor.
It can work, but it definitely is not standard and the risk that you drain your battery and brick your Leaf is your own choice.
So, use this idea just for that - to give you an idea.
Cor.

rmay635703

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Yes foreign buyers will sometimes pay more for a wreck than a running example due to export laws.

Sort of sickening in a way that all our good parts go away.

Cor

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

Brand new battery available!
Due to an unexpected event, the person originally interested in a battery swap has to make other choices,
so I can now offer to this group the battery that I initially only mention to him.
I have a battery that was installed two months ago into a 2012 by a local Nissan dealer (papers available)
and since then the car has hardly been driven,
so if you want to get a brand new 24kWh battery for your trusty Leaf with degraded battery then give me a shout.
Due to the fact that this is a new battery, I am asking $4k to install it into your car.
Should still be a good deal compared to $5900 for Dealer provided battery, but that is your choice.
PM for further details.

Kris1
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 200165

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:42 am

Great offer Cor, I'm assuming limited to the continental USA though, sigh.

Return to “Pacific USA”