Bern101
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 am
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 006302

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am

Hi Cor,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

It's very very informative for me.

I just do not know if I have the courage and knowledge to make this replacement myself, and I am located to far from you to ask you to do it for me.

Did you read this article (link below) They said that a 2015 battery could be fit in a 2011-2012 with an "separate installation kit "

http://insideevs.com/breaking-nissan-pr ... t-durable/

Thank's

User avatar
drees
Moderator
Posts: 6159
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 am

You need more than just the adapter, Nissan also accounts for whether or not the '11 has the cold weather package and builds replacement packs accordingly. On top of that, you need a special programming card and expensive Nissan Consult diagnosis software to program the battery pack to the car.

This is really the Achilles heel of used LEAFs with worn out batteries. If you could easily retrofit a nearly new pack from a wrecked LEAF at half the cost of Nissan's current retail cost to replace the pack ($5500-6500), the resale value of the LEAF would be a better.

You simply can not justify spending $6k to replace the battery in an old LEAF when you can buy a much newer one with a better pack for $8-9k.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

Bern101
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 am
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 006302

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

drees wrote:You need more than just the adapter, Nissan also accounts for whether or not the '11 has the cold weather package and builds replacement packs accordingly. On top of that, you need a special programming card and expensive Nissan Consult diagnosis software to program the battery pack to the car.

This is really the Achilles heel of used LEAFs with worn out batteries. If you could easily retrofit a nearly new pack from a wrecked LEAF at half the cost of Nissan's current retail cost to replace the pack ($5500-6500), the resale value of the LEAF would be a better.

You simply can not justify spending $6k to replace the battery in an old LEAF when you can buy a much newer one with a better pack for $8-9k.



I don't want to spend $6K to replace my battery. I have found a 2015 battery (with Cold Weather Package) with only 5000 miles on it for $2500

My idea was to put this battery in my 2011 Leaf, because I have a lost of capacity and don't have the cold weather package, because where I live in the winter there is between 20-30 days I can not use my car because it is too cold.

COR explain to me how to make the switch, but it is a big job (switching cells instead of swiching battery pack) and I was looking for an easier way to do that.

RNM
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:11 am
Delivery Date: 05 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 012707

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Bern101 wrote:explain to me how to make the switch, but it is a big job (switching cells instead of swiching battery pack) and I was looking for an easier way to do that.


Explained in video
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4UgK ... hogHEq9pNw

RNM
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:11 am
Delivery Date: 05 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 012707

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi guys,

this is what I mean by different discharge curves:

24kWh, after LBW, 3.76 V average cell voltage
Image


30 kWh, at a little below half battery, 3.73 V average cell voltage
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcjar1mftsoq15g/IMG_0078.PNG?dl=1


What this means is that, if we put 30 kWh modules and keep the 24 kWh BMS, the car will show Low Battery Warning, LBW (with all the xmas tree flashing...) but the battery will still have half battery worth of energy in.

The car range will the same as a 30 kWh? Yes
Will the percentage on the dash be useful? No.
Will the GOM be better? No, on the contrary.
Last edited by RNM on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kris1
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 200165
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

That's grim news. The extra capacity is no good if you can't access it. Looks like a lot of the 30kwh cell capacity could exist below the turtle mode threshold voltage of a 2012 BMS?

RNM
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:11 am
Delivery Date: 05 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 012707

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Kris1 wrote:That's grim news. The extra capacity is no good if you can't access it. Looks like a lot of the 30kwh cell capacity could exist below the turtle mode threshold voltage of a 2012 BMS?


You CAN access it.
But the car will show LBW (with all the xmas tree flashing...) while driving with the 2nd half battery...

Valdemar
Posts: 2362
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 pm

RNM wrote:
Kris1 wrote:That's grim news. The extra capacity is no good if you can't access it. Looks like a lot of the 30kwh cell capacity could exist below the turtle mode threshold voltage of a 2012 BMS?


You CAN access it.
But the car will show LBW (with all the xmas tree flashing...) while driving with the 2nd half battery...


Huh? The contactor opens based on lowest cell voltage, if the 30kWh pack discharges lower you will stop pretty soon after hitting LVBW. Or the assumption the curve stays flat longer and the turtle/contactor thresholds are the same?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

RNM
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:11 am
Delivery Date: 05 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 012707

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Both cells have aprox. same max and min voltage, the difference is the discharge curve

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm

RNM wrote:
Kris1 wrote:That's grim news. The extra capacity is no good if you can't access it. Looks like a lot of the 30kwh cell capacity could exist below the turtle mode threshold voltage of a 2012 BMS?


You CAN access it.
But the car will show LBW (with all the xmas tree flashing...) while driving with the 2nd half battery...

And that's what LEAF Spy is for. No worries.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Return to “Pacific USA”