Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - GC in COI - 5 Aug 2017

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm mostly settled on
220 mile battery
PUP
AP

$44k before tax credits.
If I feel cheap I'll skip the PUP, but I really, really, like the glass roof. Enclosed spaces has never been my cup of tea.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

GRA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:40 pm

GRA wrote:Is there any indication the Model 3 offers a built-in sliding sunshade, or will people be dependent on some sort of cheap afterthought band-aid of a sunshade as has happened in the past?

Here's the answer - band-aid it is: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-glass-roof-sunshade.html?sku=1135832-00-A
Note that this only covers the front section of the roof, over the driver and front passenger (just the rear pano roof section is shown in the photo above, presumably taken with a fish-eye lens). I assume there will also be a shade for the rear section, but it isn't offered yet. It amazes me that Tesla can charge $5k for a Premium interior upgrade, and not offer a sliding sunshade option (w/wo power) for both parts for those who want it, when cars costing far less have offered them. It just seems like they were an afterthought without any real effort being put into it.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 am

GRA: the glass is tinted to block most of the IR and enough of the visible light to make it comfortable for most without anything further.

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 am

SageBrush wrote:GRA: the glass is tinted to block most of the IR and enough of the visible light to make it comfortable for most without anything further.

If it's anything like the glass roof (the "panoramic roof") on our Model S, then we'll be quite satisfied as is. We love that our pano roof lets in light and makes the cabin feel more open. We've driven the Model S across the Mojave Desert and up the Owens Valley in 110F / 43C temperatures with the sun blazing, and no complaints from anyone.

To us, getting the PUP (Premium Options Package) on the Model 3 is a no-brainer, for the fog lights and nicer interior in addition to the glass roof. And the power adjustable seats with individual driver profiles are really convenient when you have multiple drivers who vary considerably in body size/proportions. The upgraded sound system is another nice bonus, though not something we'd have added a la carte.

Here's what we're thinking we'll order when the time comes:
- Long range battery (+$9K)
- PUP (+$5K)
- Exterior color silver (+$1K) or Pearl White (+$1.5K)
- Dual motors (+ ~$3-5K)
- Enhanced AutoPilot (+$5K)

It seems sensible to not order FSD (Full Self Driving) and then pay a bit more to turn it on later, as it could be a few years or longer before the software and regulations truly enable this capability. On the other hand, I feel that pre-paying for FSD could give us the greatest possible leverage in terms of expecting Tesla to perform any hardware retrofits that may end up being necessary to make FSD work. It'll be interesting to see how much progress Tesla makes toward autonomy by the time we're able to order next year.

We tend to keep our cars for a while, so it's super that the Model 3 (and new S and X vehicles) are relatively future-proof.

Can you tell that I'm excited about the prospect of our whole family up here in the SoCal mountains going completely ICE-free?
2011 LEAF at 69K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 89K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

GRA

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:37 pm

SageBrush wrote:GRA: the glass is tinted to block most of the IR and enough of the visible light to make it comfortable for most without anything further.

Which is beside the point for those who want/need a sunshade, which Tesla recognizes by offering one (and presumably the other part eventually), but doesn't speak to my point. If you're going to offer a sunshade to those people, why make it so rinky-dink when far better designs which are more in keeping with the car's design aesthetic and price tag are available?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Tonight's episode 5 of the new TV series Salvation features a de-badged Tesla Model X, carefully showing off the rear seat wing-doors raised/open even when people are only getting in or out of the front seats. The interior shot of the dashboard shows the 17" touchscreen. At about 26 minutes into the episode, where they show the vehicle accelerating to "chase" the bad guy, they dubbed in gas-car type acceleration (increasing engine rpm) sounds.

Has there been any mention of buying the Model 3's $5k AP and $3k FAD options at a later time, to save money now, and then activate those features later?

Without the AP option, does the Model 3 have any form of Cruise Control at all?

See you Saturday, in about 32 hours.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

SageBrush

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:23 pm

garygid wrote:Without the AP option, does the Model 3 have any form of Cruise Control at all?

My understanding is that it has the regular, non-dynamic CC.

SageBrush

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm

GRA wrote:

Which is beside the point for those who want/need a sunshade, which Tesla recognizes by offering one (and presumably the other part eventually), but doesn't speak to my point. If you're going to offer a sunshade to those people, why make it so rinky-dink when far better designs which are more in keeping with the car's design aesthetic and price tag are available?

Because they find they do not "need" it, and the rinky-dink part sits unused.
Much better that way than to invest the R&D required for a spiffy part that is expensive and then rarely bought and even less often used.

GRA

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:42 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:

Much better that way than to invest the R&D required for a spiffy part that is expensive and then rarely bought and even less often used.

Seems like it would work the other way, for a rinky-dink afterthought - most people would only choose to buy it after finding they need it, whereas a retracting sunshade would most likely be built-into the car. It's not as if Tesla doens't bundle unwanted options with desired ones: having to pay $5k for A/P just to get ACC being a case in point.

SageBrush

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 pm

GRA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote:

Seems like it would work the other way, for a rinky-dink afterthought - most people would only choose to buy it after finding they need it, whereas a retracting sunshade would most likely be built-into the car. It's not as if Tesla doens't bundle unwanted options with desired ones: having to pay $5k for A/P just to get ACC being a case in point.

That makes it much worse -- force everybody to pay for a part that few care about.

Return to “Pacific USA”