tbleakne
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400

Re: SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - HTB in SA - 22 Oct 2016

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:18 pm

I may not be able to make breakfast this Saturday, so I wanted to share this with you all:

Major news last night from Musk and Tesla. Starting now, all Teslas are shipping with new autonomous hardware, including 8 cameras, same radar, better sonic sensors, and new powerful Nvidia Titan GPU 40X more powerful for Deep Learning. Much more powerful than Mobileye processor, but it may take until December 2016 or later before these new cars have the software running on this new platform to fully replicate Firmware 8.0 with the existing sensor suite.

It is not clear exactly which Nvidia processor Tesla is using. The most powerful models require liquid cooling and cost up to 10 $K if you include their full board. Most likely Tesla using smaller model. Of course Tesla will get huge volume discount. Nvidia has said they have sold similar processors to the other major manufacturers, but these are just for a few test vehicles. No one else is committing this kind of money to autonomous hardware for production vehicles, much less to every car produced. Price for activating advanced driving assist features has gone up.

Quote from Musk Conference Call, from NY Post:

“You need to think carefully about this,” Musk testily told reporters on a late-Wednesday conference call after announcing the new tech. “Because if, in writing some article that’s negative, you effectively dissuade people from using an autonomous vehicle, you’re killing people.”

Tesla announcement:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-tesla-cars-being-produced-now-have-full-self-driving-hardware
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:40 pm

Bump (& Grind)

It'll be a boring meeting tomorrow morning without you, Tom.
1st Capacity Bar loss 30k mi 16.25mo 2nd- 49k mi 25.5mo 51.5Ah
3rd- 73k mi 36.5mo 46.9Ah 71% SOH 50.9Hx 4th- 86.5k mi 43mo 42.61Ah 64% SOH 43.79Hx
5th- 101k mi 50.5mo 38.38Ah 58% SOH 37.02Hx Replaced Battery 9/28/15 104.2k mi 36.13Ah

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:20 am

tt gr mh gd d ac d ... if I did not forget anyone.
At least 12 bodies, including 2 ladies (c&d), were in attendance.
Tom decided to show up in spite if his afternoon/evening plans.

WOW, lightning just struck a tree only 60 feet from where I am sitting
in the living room. That was the loudest "CRACK" of lightning that I have
ever heard. Most likely it was the very tall palm tree in the backyard
of the house behind me.

Going out to look 15 or 20 minutes later, I hear voices in their yard,
and can still see flames and burning embers coming out of the lower
part of the tree's trunk.

Maybe they will finally cut that tree down ... it shades my solar panels,
and could hit my house, or theirs, if it fell. Somewhat weakened now,
I suspect.

In this thunderstorm, my Heidi puppy was doing Ok snuggled in
a blanket in my lap, until this one nearby very sharp "CRACK" occured.
In the past, both Heidi and Boris would find Nancy and the three of
them would go hide in the master closet, snuggled up on the floor.

There are flashing red lights more or less in front of the other house,
and fire appears to be out now, or at least no longer visible from my
yard ... a little excitement to get the day started, I guess.

I enjoyed our Gathering last Saturday.
The next is at the Golden Corral on November 5th, in the City of Industry.
After that, back at our Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana on the 19th,
the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Cheers to all, Ho Ho Ho.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 am

My dog does not like lightning! The storm around 6AM required me to snuggle up around her. My poor baby was trembling so.

Gary my B was totaled. With property taxes due I switched to an eGolf. Accidents always happen at the wrong time. So far except charging to 100% like the current Leaf I am loving it and the lease is less money.

I must say the Mercedes treated me right. I walked away with only a scrape on my right arm most likely from the airbag container. Except for the money down I would do it again. VW supposedly has copied Mercedes' safety features. I DO NOT WANT TO FIND OUT!
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250E

Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:31 am

Glenn, glad that you escaped significant injury!

Gary, the Vogons are notorious for their bad aim. They were gunning for you. :lol:
1st Capacity Bar loss 30k mi 16.25mo 2nd- 49k mi 25.5mo 51.5Ah
3rd- 73k mi 36.5mo 46.9Ah 71% SOH 50.9Hx 4th- 86.5k mi 43mo 42.61Ah 64% SOH 43.79Hx
5th- 101k mi 50.5mo 38.38Ah 58% SOH 37.02Hx Replaced Battery 9/28/15 104.2k mi 36.13Ah

GlennD
Forum Supporter

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:51 am

Yes Alan it was a complete surprise. I was doing traffic speed ( around 40-45 in a 35 zone) when a woman at a side street stop sign pulled out and automatically headed for the fast lane. I think the car automatically braked after impact but I had no time to touch the brakes.

I liked my B Class but I can not afford 4 to 6 thousand down. The eGolf was 1K down in total and the lease is cheaper. So far it seems to be a great car.

Someday and I am not holding my breath, my Tesla 3 reservation may come true. If not I am out 1K. The eGolf will certainly tide me over.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - GC in CoI - 5 Nov 2016

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Glenn, Wow, I am glad that you are not injured significantly.

My Open-EVSE has a meter to show V & A or KW or ??, and it appears
to have died. Seemed to show funny numbers, some without decimal points,
then started flickering, then just a "dark" screen. The EVSE still seems to
work Ok, but maybe I could buy a new (or better) compatible meter from you.
I am not sure, but the schematic doesn't seem to show the meter or
its connections. Or, maybe I am not seeing the "obvious"?
Please call me or PM if you have any helpful suggestions.

Next Gathering is on Nov 5th at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry.
Cheers, all.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

GlennD
Forum Supporter

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:36 am

That is the first meter I have fail. They are eBay China units with no documentation. I have switched to a combo unit that shows voltage, current, KW and KWH.

If you look at the unit in the modification section of the RAV4 EV forum you can see the meter. It is available from Amazon or eBay for less than $20.

Your existing meter can be pushed out and the Harbor freight quick epoxy trimmed. The epoxy is strong enough but it is not in the JB Weld class so it can be removed.

I have a couple of the dual volt and current meters and if you tell me wither it is black or white I will give you one. The white one mounts in a smaller hole. The advantage is that you do not have to change the current coil or enlarge the hole.

GlennD
Forum Supporter

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:45 pm

OK Gary, I looked through some old photos and it looks like you have a white meter. If you PM me your address I will send you another one. There is plenty of room if you decide to upgrade to the 4 function meter Let me know but you are welcome to a white replacement.

tbleakne
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Trip report for Sequoia, King's Canyon, Yosemite, Sonara Pass.
1st stop for charge at Tejon Ranch SC. Only 2 other Teslas there, so I intentionally chose a stall paired with a charging car to give me time to eat inside at Chipolte.
Next topped off charge at brand new SC 30 mi N labeled Bakersfield but on I5. Confirmed batteries at this SC to mitigate demand charges.After viewing murals in Exeter, Ended day 1at Gateway Inn in three rivers with their HPWC.

Day 2 viewed sequoias in park but found walking at altitude strenuous. Wuksachi Lodge nice but no charge opportunity. Bellhop drove me around narrow path to show me what they had used to charge a few Volts and Teslas. Two years ago 91040 had reported the existence of an outlet, but what the bellhop showed me was a 120v 15a outlet on a bloody backup generator big enough to power the whole lodge. Imagine the inefficiency and shame of powering that monster all night to get 12 kWhs or so. I had planned on no charge and so declined.

Day 3 saw Grant Grove And King's Canyon for first time.Descending down steep grade into King's Canyon, car's prediction of SOC margin for reaching Fresno SC dropped about 1/3 into yellow. However when I reversed course to climb back out margin rebounded and I made Fresno easy. This jump was about 6% of full charge.
In National Park no connectivity so central GPS screen showed only my route with totally blank background. However, 2nd GPS beside steering wheel displayed every campground and minor side road, but would it share that info with the main screen ? Noooo.
<Edit> At several points on mountain ridges the 2nd GPS displayed sky in the background, proving it is truly 3D.
Spent restful night in Fresno recovering from 7K altitude at Wuksachi.

Day 4 drove up to Tenaya Lodge outside Yosemite. They have had L2 charge for some years, and it was fine. No sign of promised 8 new chargers.
Had wonderful lunch at what used to be called Ahwahnee Hotel, now Majestic. Quite a bit of rain showers in Valley, clouds, but beautiful to see Halfdome in clouds from Glacier Point. Waterfalls had recovered with a few days of rain. Bellhop at Majestic said they get 3 to 5 Volts/Teslas a day at their charger during the peak summer season.

Day 5 plan was to drive over Tioga Pass, but it had closed. Ranger suggested Sonora Pass to the north, but I saw no way to do it without additional charge. Considered abandoning my trip early with boring drive home, then I realized McCaffrey House B&B was on that road, S108. Called them up, they said sure you can charge here, but newspaper says Sonora Pass is going to close as well. I confirmed report that Highway Patrol was planning to close 108 at 4pm even though the weather had improved. I managed to get just enough charge in 1.5hrs at McCaffrey House using my twin chargers at 80A to make it over the pass. I reached 395 before 4pm and a little while later it closed behind me. Once again, on the steepest, windiest parts of this pass, making turns at 15 mph, predicted SOC margin dipped deep into the yellow.
Predicted destination margin of 21% when I left the B&B hit a low of about 11%, but then recovered all of this when the road improved.
I had never been over Sonora Pass and it was quite beautiful. At the bottom I drove by a very large facility that turned out to be the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center.

I made Mammoth Lakes SC with over 60 Rated miles remaining. I could see that this SC has 5 cabinets of battery storage, total 500 kWh.
I ended the day at Creekside Inn in Bishop. They have no L2, but they were glad to let me use their L1 outlet on outside of building, Very nice lodge with thick brick walls that totally shield rooms from traffic noise.

Day 6 good drive home on 395, charging at Lone Pine and Inyokern, with steady headwind of at least 20 mph. This increased drag raised my charge consumption about 15%, showing the need to provide plenty of SOC margin beyond what the car predicts. In version 7 software, car would say "you have enough charge to continue" when predicted margin at next destination rose above the red at 8% SOC, which was crazy. Now with version 8 that threshold is at 20%, but headwind experience tells me to allow at least 25% margin if there is any chance of high wind.
<Edit>At bottom of Cajon Pass on last day 2nd GPS had lanes for I15-I215 interchange backwards, showing it had not been updated to reflect completion of major new work at that interchange.

I am grateful to have completed this trip safely.
Last edited by tbleakne on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

Return to “Pacific USA”