LeafyD
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 008904

Re: SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - GC in CoI - 13 May 2017

Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes, another sad loss in our EV family. She was a feisty, lovely lady. We will miss her presence at our breakfasts. Sending heartfelt condolences to her family.

lindaz

Tue May 16, 2017 11:28 am

Celebration of Life

Carol Sue Kluck
September, 1933 - May, 2017

Saturday, May 20, 2017
3:00-9:00 p.m.
Rancho Palos Verdes
RSVP to kennys1mom@hotmail.com (Linda's email)

Thanks, everyone, for all your kind words and support after Mom's passing. We'll be having a celebration of her life this Saturday, May 20th, 3:00-9:00, at my brother's house in Rancho Palos Verdes, the place she called "heaven." She enjoyed her new EV family and always looked forward to joining everyone for breakfast. Everyone is welcome to attend the celebration. Feel free to come and go, or stay the entire time. We are planning on having a short slide show that we will repeat several times throughout the 3:00-9:00 time frame, and after dark, we will do a floating-candles-on-the-water celebration. If you would like to join us, please send me an email at kennys1mom@hotmail.com so I can get a rough head count and send you the house address.

Here's her "bio" that I posted on Facebook after she passed away:

Mom started her next great adventure at 1:07 this afternoon. Her body was calm and peaceful, but I just know she was sprinting toward the white light, eager to see what lies beyond.

She lived life with an adventurous spirit. At age 16, she saw the movie “Twelve O’Clock High” and fell in love with flying. That prompted her to attend Stephens College in Missouri, the first college in the country to introduce an aviation program for women. She earned her aviation degree and her pilot’s license there and loved soaring in the beautiful Missouri sky. Always the thrill-seeker, she couldn’t believe her good fortune when she and my dad were in Hawaii a number of years ago and decided to go on a helicopter ride. She couldn’t wait to tell everyone that she and Dad didn’t have any ordinary helicopter pilot; they got a bush pilot who took them for a wild stunt ride! Even as she got older, Mom never stopped loving a good roller coaster ride. Her favorite ride at Knott’s Berry Farm was Xcelerator, a ride that pulls 4 G’s, sending riders down a nearly vertical track while accelerating from 0-82 mph in just 2.3 seconds. She was something of a celebrity exiting the ride at 80 years of age and having hordes of people snapping pictures of the grinning elderly lady who had just ridden Xcelerator. She had an enthusiasm for all things fun and loved sharing that enthusiasm.

Mom had an insatiable sense of curiosity, always eager to learn something new, and always eager to pass that knowledge on to others. She spent her life learning and teaching. When my brothers and I were young, Mom decided there must be a better way to teach reading and spelling than what was being taught in the schools. She spent countless hours researching various methods and found one that stood out above all the rest, the Carden method. She took classes on how to teach it and then taught it to my brothers and me after school. Word spread quickly about what she was doing, and in no time, she was tutoring so many children in our home that she barely had time for all of them. She even taught one little girl who was developmentally disabled with no hope of learning to read. Mom had her reading and spelling in no time. One day when Mom was introduced to another parent at our elementary school, that parent exclaimed, “Oh! Carol Sue Kluck! You’re the one who taught (insert name) to read!” That was one of Mom’s more rewarding moments, when she realized that she had been able to do something to change that little girl’s life. Later, Mom developed an interest in Touch for Health, a method of healing that involves acupressure (acupuncture without needles). She was soon teaching it in our home and was invited to lecture on it at several local high schools. She helped people feel better with some simple touch techniques. Most of her life, Mom was on a quest for spiritual knowledge, ultimately leading her to her favorite book, A Course in Miracles. She loved its messages of love and forgiveness. Although she never formally taught it, she would often use what she had learned to help people on their spiritual paths.

Family was everything to Mom. She met Dad while she was at Stephens College, and he was attending the neighboring University of Missouri. He satisfied her criterion of a man who would be a good father. Her main goal in life was to be a mother, and she couldn’t have been a better one. She was the ultimate grandmother, too, giving selflessly to her grandson and loving him unconditionally. She’s been my best friend and my “shadow,” tagging along with me most places I go.

Many friends visited Mom in the hospital this past week. There were two comments that my brothers and I heard repeatedly from various people: she was one-of-a-kind, and she had been a major influence that changed their lives for the better. She made a difference in the world. Hers was a life well-lived.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

What a beautiful life your mom lived, Linda. Thank you for sharing this.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi gang.

I just learned of a new EV rebate program that is being offered by SCE, and also one that SDG&E offers.

I've known for some months that PG&E offers a rebate of $500 to EV owners in their service region. I just heard this evening that SCE has a new program called Clean Fuel Rewards program. This program offers $450 for each EV that you own or lease.
SDG&E also offers a rebate program, which I think offers $50 per year to EV owners.

I applied this evening to SCE for rebates for our two EVs.

Here are the links to the programs at the two So Cal public utilities.

https://www.scecleanfuel.com/

https://www.sdge.com/clean-energy/elect ... ate-credit
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lindaz

Re: SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - HTB in SA - 27 May 2017

Fri May 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks for those links to the rebate programs, Phil. I just submitted my request, and I'll soon be $450 richer!

Linda

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y7 - HTB in SA - 27 May 2017

Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 am

I applied for the Tesla at SDG&E for $50 ... which they say is paid in 6 months or so.

The 2010 Prius hybrid does not qualify because it does not plug in to charge,
but it still gets over 50 mpg on the freeway. Thanks to Toyota for breaking out
of the US car industry's gas guzzler "it cannot be done" mold.

Thanks to Nissan for getting worldwide EV mass production going with the LEAF,
and to Tesla for taking the leap into "the future". I love my Model S, with its nosecone.

Thanks to my wife for suggesting and encouraging it ... I would not have made the $$$
leap forward without her "well, could we just go look at the colors ...".

That was a great deal like what happened about 15.4 years ago ...
when she said "let's just go look at puppies" ... and we bought one, but then, at the
very last moment, I remembered my life of being alone, and I was wise enough to
buy a second puppy so that they could be life-long companions. I think it worked.
Heidi and Boris gave us love their entire lives. Heidi is still with us, but does not
like her "dad" to be gone. She cannot hear much, or see much, so I think dad needs
to get her a cataract removal, lens replacement operation.

Thanks a bunch, to my dear sweetheart, my wife, (and to Phil), for making me better.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Return to “Pacific USA”