GRA

California reinstates Green HOV stickers for PHEVs, now allows unlimited numbers

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: California reinstates Green HOV stickers for PHEVs, now allows unlimited numbers

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33 am

Yes, it would seem so per https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm.

Green Clean Air Vehicle decals were originally available to the first 40,000 applicants that purchased or leased cars meeting California's transitional zero emission vehicles (TZEV) requirement, also known as the enhanced advanced technology partial zero emission vehicle (AT PZEV)* requirement.
Per AB 95 the green decal limit was raised another 15,000 to a new maximum of 85,000. Per SB-838, and effective as of September 13, 2016, the Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal limit imposed by AB 95 has been removed

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

lkkms2
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025

Re: California reinstates Green HOV stickers for PHEVs, now allows unlimited numbers

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:32 am

Just interested.

Does this apply to only new purchases?

Or can folks that purchased last years model, but after the limit had been reached, still apply retroactively?
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:09 pm

lkkms2 wrote:Does this apply to only new purchases?

Or can folks that purchased last years model, but after the limit had been reached, still apply retroactively?

I doubt it on the former. I think the latter is correct. There's AFAIK never been a requirement to apply for the stickers anyway.

One guy at the i3 Facebook group (you'll need to be a member to see https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater), got a letter that basically said he applied before for green stickers, that the limit was reached and now has been lifted. So, he can continue but the fee for the stickers went up to $22. I believe it was $8 before.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:13 pm

lkkms2 wrote:Just interested.

Does this apply to only new purchases?

You were allowed to get on a waiting list at the time, in case they increased the allocation. There's nothing on the DMV web page that says you can't apply for one now, or for a used car FTM: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

JimSouCal

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:19 pm

This might explain why my replacement white stickers are stalled, with my check not cashed... :shock:

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:20 pm

Not sure if its just myself, but the HOV lanes have been chockers of late.
With this news, I just can't see anymore benefit in buying a HOV qualified vehicle.
Definitely would like to hear others chime in on different perspectives ..

JimSouCal

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:53 am

mxp wrote:Not sure if its just myself, but the HOV lanes have been chockers of late.
With this news, I just can't see anymore benefit in buying a HOV qualified vehicle.

Same 405 in Los Angeles... No real advantage most of the time... I need my stickers for free street parking at meters in Santa Monica...

JimSouCal

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:53 am

JimSouCal wrote:
mxp wrote:Not sure if its just myself, but the HOV lanes have been chockers of late.

Same 405 FWY in Los Angeles... No real advantage most of the time... I need my stickers for free street parking at meters in Santa Monica...

GRA

Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:42 pm

JimSouCal wrote:

Same 405 in Los Angeles... No real advantage most of the time... <snip>

Yeah, which is why I'm against allowing even more cars into them, as this was already a problem with unlimited BEVs plus the 85k PHEVs. Hopefully they'll stop issuing them after the report comes out in 12/2017 on the degradation effects on the HOV/HOT lanes, although they could just as easily make that judgement now; the effect is more congestion in them, beyond the ones that are already backed up.

Return to “Pacific USA”