SDG&E EV Climate Credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Philip. It certainly isn't automatic. I work at the utility and we don't have a comprehensive list of EV drivers in the region. Only those who are on our special EV rate, which is a fraction. So there are many we don't know about. All EV drivers are welcome to come forward and register for the credit through May, and then the available funds will be split among the EVs later in the summer as a credit on your bill...Two EVs gets you two credits...

There's also a reference during the signup process to check out the EV rates we offer, so we're hoping that more drivers take advantage of the rates....

Thanks Randy.

Can you explain how the TOU-DR-E3 experimental tariff works? It looks like it could be beneficial for EV charging, but it looks pretty complex.

Hi Philip,
The TOU-DR-E3 rate is a new experimental rate that we're trying. The gist of it is as follows:

http://regarchive.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/ELEC_ELEC-SCHEDS_TOU-DR-E3.pdf

* There is a $10 monthly fee
* No Tiers
* No seasons
* This new rate is an hourly rate based on day-ahead CAISO wholesale electricity prices
* New definition of super off-peak - 12am - 6am weekdays, and 12am - 2pm weekends and holidays
* The overall rate is comprised of:
* A Base Rate (Which consists of SDG&E's retail components)
- 7 cents/kWh during super off-peak and 22.5 cents/kWh during all other hours)
* An Hourly Commodity Rate (which is determined on a day-ahead basis by the CAISO)
- usually a few cents per kWh
* Dynamic Hourly Adders for the top 150 power system loading hours per year and the top 200 Dist. Circuit hours per year
- 18.7 cents/kWh adder for top 200 hours of circuit loading per year and 69.3 cents/kWh for top 150 power system loading hours per year
- usually happens between June and early October each year, and they may be 4-6 hours per day
- less than 5% of the year
* Surplus Energy Credit (implemented on a day-of basis when there is a lower CAISO hourly price by 1 cent or more)

If you could do your charging and perhaps move other larger loads to the super off-peak time (and it is longer now on weekends), it will be cheaper than traditional rates...The goal is also for you to avoid charging and usage during the top 150 hours of power system loading and the top 200 hours of circuit loading...

Bottom line is that we're in a period of transition with rates. The old days of charging all customers a simple per kWh price that includes grid connection and the electricity commodity doesn't work anymore. We're attempting to test the waters with new rates like this to see how it works for customers....

Randy, thanks for your response.

How would you recommend for a customer on that tariff to get the correct price signals with it changing each day? Is it net metering eligible?

Thanks for the heads up on the program. This is the first I have of it here in San Diego.

Completed my application online. Sounds like first come first served. My confirmation is # 377.

Sound like you have to reapply every year from 2017 thru 2020. If you miss the deadline (before end of March CORRECTION by the end of May, but the sooner the better), you miss out until the next year opportunity. Sounds like it is for most plug-in vehicles including plug-in hybrids.

philip said:
Randy, thanks for your response.

How would you recommend for a customer on that tariff to get the correct price signals with it changing each day? Is it net metering eligible?
I am also wondering if this TOU-DR-E3 rate is NEM-eligible (I'm thinking not?) or whether it would even offer any advantage to EV owners with PV systems? It definitely is complicated in the way it is structured, and I don't understand a lot of the terms involved. If anybody can explain it, Randy can, I'm sure.

I got an email from SDG&E on April 5th about the EV climate credit and signed up right away, but there was a problem with the SS# they had stored in their system for me and it wouldn't go through. I had to call the accounting department and get them to correct the SS# entry on my account and then the application was accepted.

TT

Kind of a misnomer to call it super off-peak when it doesn't have a regular off-peak. It's one thing to shift usage like the dishwasher into the evening, another to delay it until after midnight. The extra week-end time would be helpful, both for extra charging for short weekend trips, and for laundry, etc... Hard to judge how it would affect a NEM customer compared to EV-2.

davewill said:
It's one thing to shift usage like the dishwasher into the evening, another to delay it until after midnight.

A lot of dishwashers have a delay timer now - so running a dishwasher after midnight isn't a big stretch.

The 2017 value of the EV Climate Credit is going to be $200, based on the value of the LCFS credits sold and the nearly 7,000 drivers who signed up this year. The EVCC will be done every year through 2020.

Drivers who signed up will start to see bill credits for the EV Climate Credit starting soon...

Thanks, Randy! I heard that amount on the news the other day and I thought they got it wrong - a lot more than I was expecting. (And happy that we get two of them!)

I received this email from SDGE today: "Great news! Your application has been accepted and you are eligible to receive a bill credit. A credit will appear on your bill within the next 2 months (depending on your bill cycle)".

A quick update...hope everyone is enjoying the $200 EV credit this summer and it has been a warm and humid summer here in San Diego and southern CA.

Had an online chat with SDGE representative yesterday that the EV credit can be carried forward to next year.

So it is possible to off set the minimal charge.

LightningLeaf said:
Had an online chat with SDGE representative yesterday that the EV credit can be carried forward to next year.

So it is possible to off set the minimal charge.

The $200 is an account credit, so it never expires. I'm on NEM and I just settled up for the year. So I moved the EV credit from my SDG&E electric account to my SDG&E gas account. With that credit, I likely won't have a gas bill now until Jan or Feb 2018.

I haven't found any updates regarding the 2018 SDG&E EV Climate Credit. I suspect it will be far more popular this year because the word is getting around about the program.

Signups for this year should begin around March 1. The amount of the EV climate credit each driver will get will be recalculated, and depends on the value of the LCFS credits sold, and how many drivers sign up for the EV climate credit for this year.

Back