Seattle Area Consult 3 owners?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedlast

Hi everybody.
In May of 2015, I bought a salvage 2015 Model S Leaf with 2500 miles on it. It ran and drove fine except for the clown car affect from the bent right front wheel. Over the course of the last two years I have stripped the entire wire harness, drive train, battery, and everything I think will be useful and currently have it all scattered across my garage floor. The goal of all that it is to convert my '85 Toyota Supra to a Leaf powered electric car. Why? Because I think I can. And I think the Supra looks cooler than the Leaf, sorry but it's true. And a BMW Z3 with a blown motor was way outside my budget.

The point of this post is that my list of DTCs include some that require running the self-diagnostic test on the Power Distribution Module. Leaf Spy Pro is no help in this situation, except to point out the problem. The battery won't charge and the motor won't go into drive or reverse due to a Normal Charge Port Lock issue and a High Voltage Interlock issue. I have the 2015 service manual and have followed the troubleshooting steps until I get to the self-test steps.

My question is, is there anyone in the Seattle area who has Consult 3 and all the required hardware who would be willing to make a trip to my garage and see if we can get this figured out? I live in Mountlake Terrace, about a mile and a half off the freeway.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

very cool dude! i am a fellow leaf owner and live within a couple of miles of you in Edmonds :)

i hope someone here has consult, i do not unfortunately. since the car drove before you took it apart, are you sure you are just not missing some connection that was made in the car and now is not made on the garage floor?

following this too. i have told myself if someone totals my leaf i would do what you are doing. my more curious question is how are you adapting the fwd drive train to an rwd car?

cheers,
Marko

Marko,
Unfortunately, according to the DTCs, the problem is internal to the Power Distribution Module. There are a few people who have "run" the car scattered across the floor or hung on a peg board and have listed what the minimum requirements are for to do that. I had everything they listed hooked up so it was probably how I reapplied power the first time.

As for adapting the drivetrain, I am planning on using the motor to drive the transmission of the Supra and not using the Leaf transaxle at all. It takes a coupler to connect the output shaft of the motor to the input shaft of the trans and an adapter plate to mount the motor to the trans. One question I keep coming back to is whether to keep the clutch (safer, in a way, faster shifting if needed), or connect the shaft directly (much simpler). I'm beginning to lean a lot more toward the direct connection path. Either one takes a bit of machining but they're not terribly difficult. Just, in my case, time consuming.

Bill

have you popped the cover off the PDM to see if there is anything obvious off below? pretty unlikely to find it just by sight but until a consult unit shows up might be worthwhile. have you gone to campbell nelson next to costco to see if you can talk a tech into helping you with one? the other thing i'd do is post a wanted ad on craigslist, maybe someone with one sees it :)

good luck! and if you need a working leaf to compare something let me know i'll gladly donate some time.

Marko

I did actually pull the bolts on the PDM but they have it RTV'd down and I couldn't find a good pry point so I didn't go any further.
Someone else suggested talking to the dealer but I am not that outgoing so I haven't gotten around to it. The Craigslist ad is a good idea, too.

Bill

Back