SDG&E - $10,000 off MSRP through 9/30/17

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

I just got this in my email today from my local Nissan dealer (Mossy Escondido):

As part of the effort to accelerate clean transportation alternatives, Nissan is offering eligible San Diego Gas and Electric customers a special rebate on the purchase of a new 2017 Nissan LEAF electric vehicle.

Simply show your SDG&E utility bill and a copy of this flyer at Mossy Nissan Escondido to receive a $10,000 rebate (off MSRP) on a new 2017 Nissan LEAF! This limited time offer expires 9/30/2017 or while supplies last (whichever occurs first), and cannot be combined with any other Nissan special lease, APR or rebate.
Compared to TrueCar pricing, it appears that this will save you about another $5k off street pricing.

Wow, sounds like they expect the bottom to drop out of Gen 1 LEAF pricing. Wonder if I can get a steal to purchase my 2015 when my lease expires near the end of the year.

It is the Electric Utility that is offering the discount, not the dealer. Or shall I say both, as the discount is off of MSRP, not dealer discounted price. Still, it is a wonderful offer, plus the additional Fed and State rebates. In CA that is $20,000 off MSRP for the new Leaf. I am thinking that maybe it is time to add another EV to the stable while waiting on our Tesla Model 3.

I just purchased a 2017 S using this rebate in Connecticut and I also negotiated the purchase price down quite a bit, so the rebate is $10,000 off whatever deal you can make. In addition to the $10,000, I received a $3,000 Connecticut rebate and can take advantage of the $7,500 Federal tax credit. In sum rebates for me totaled $20,500! I managed to sell my 2013 S for $7,500 (under water by $2,000) so the net of all this was I purchased my 2017 for about $6,000 out the door! Still pinching myself.

Thanks to the person in Connecticut who said they negotiated below MSRP (and thanks to a friend who was working a deal at a neighboring dealer at the same time as me), I got the SDG&E deal in San Diego and got $2000 below MSRP, plus all of the other rebates. So even though it says "Off MSRP," dealers will still come down even more.

Sounds Great.
Be aware there is a difference btwn a rebate and a discount. A discount by the dealer reduces total cost and there is no sales tax on the discount. For The rebate, when I got it from Nissan, was after I paid the sales taxes on that amount. A small but important distinction.

I got mine from Mossy El Cajon. Ask for Isai. pronounced Ee-sah-ee. He's trying to make a sales goal this month and he'll be happy to help you I'm sure. Or you could use this information to see if another dealer will come down further than $2k off MSRP. I'm curious if they would. Poway wouldn't even budge at all. They said they were only doing MSRPs on the SDG+E rebate. I got El Cajon down to $1100 below MSRP until my friend who was over at Pacific Nissan texted me and said they had him at $2k below. So then El Cajon matched them.

El Cajon would not put the rebate on the discount line so I had to pay sales tax on the $32,000 sales price. However, I heard from a friend that Pacific Nissan WOULD put the rebate on the discount line so that would save you another approx. $800 in sales tax, depending on your sales tax rate at your home zip code.

Charging it has been a nightmare though. Nissan gave me a free two-year charge card and apparently, the fast charger by my house has not been updated in the network. So my card does not work there. I have to call EV-go and wait on hold for 25 minutes before they will remotely start a charge for me. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much since it is free. : )

FYI, the pickins' for new LEAFs in San Diego are getting kinda thin. Mossy Nissan has a virtual monopoly on Nissan dealerships in San Diego. (There's also a small dealership Pacific Nissan but they don't show a LEAF in stock) Here's what's available at the moment.
https://www.mossynissan.com/inventory/New-Nissan-Leaf/#

Can the SDG&E discount be used in Orange County? There's a lot of Nissan dealership competition up there.

So for everyone looking for a leaf in san diego and coming up empty handed, Nissan of San Juan Capistrano is actually in SDG&E's power range, so they do offer the rebate as well. As an added bonus, they can transfer nissans from other dealerships in the LA region at no cost. I was all ready to buy last week, but decided to hold off any see what the 2018 pricing will be.

joeriv said:
I just purchased a 2017 S using this rebate in Connecticut and I also negotiated the purchase price down quite a bit, so the rebate is $10,000 off whatever deal you can make. In addition to the $10,000, I received a $3,000 Connecticut rebate and can take advantage of the $7,500 Federal tax credit. In sum rebates for me totaled $20,500! I managed to sell my 2013 S for $7,500 (under water by $2,000) so the net of all this was I purchased my 2017 for about $6,000 out the door! Still pinching myself.
What an excellent deal. Congrats!

I was all ready to buy last week, but decided to hold off any see what the 2018 pricing will be.

I believe the $10,000 rebate is only for 2016-7 Leafs, not 2018. You have to decide if the 2018 is $10,000 better for your needs.

eet106 said:
I got mine from Mossy El Cajon. Ask for Isai. pronounced Ee-sah-ee. He's trying to make a sales goal this month and he'll be happy to help you I'm sure. Or you could use this information to see if another dealer will come down further than $2k off MSRP. I'm curious if they would. Poway wouldn't even budge at all. They said they were only doing MSRPs on the SDG+E rebate. I got El Cajon down to $1100 below MSRP until my friend who was over at Pacific Nissan texted me and said they had him at $2k below. So then El Cajon matched them.

El Cajon would not put the rebate on the discount line so I had to pay sales tax on the $32,000 sales price. However, I heard from a friend that Pacific Nissan WOULD put the rebate on the discount line so that would save you another approx. $800 in sales tax, depending on your sales tax rate at your home zip code.

Charging it has been a nightmare though. Nissan gave me a free two-year charge card and apparently, the fast charger by my house has not been updated in the network. So my card does not work there. I have to call EV-go and wait on hold for 25 minutes before they will remotely start a charge for me. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much since it is free. : )

Do you mind sharing what you paid OTD? (followed by the 7500+2500 back via taxes?)
I know the state rebates is being wait listed, any insights into whether or not that will ultimately go through?

OhBee said:
So for everyone looking for a leaf in san diego and coming up empty handed, Nissan of San Juan Capistrano is actually in SDG&E's power range, so they do offer the rebate as well. As an added bonus, they can transfer nissans from other dealerships in the LA region at no cost. I was all ready to buy last week, but decided to hold off any see what the 2018 pricing will be.

What sort of deal were you seeing OTD for a 2017?

I am going to start reaching out to dealers now (via email) for OTD pricing after all rebates/incentives.

Looks like pricing would be something like $31000 - $4000 (negotiate) - $10000 SDGE = $17000 + TTLD = ~$19000.
Then $2500 + $7500 back via taxes.

Total price ~$9000?

Why not? The numbers work out - the only thing to watch for are dealer "extras". For example, they wanted to charge me for "VIN etch" - I told them no way and it was knocked off. If the dealer is motivated you can deal hard.

eet106 said:

Can you talk a little bit more about your experience with the EV-go plan? The plan (two years of free charging) seems like a good deal to me too, but has your issue been resolved yet? I assume the installation is free? My partner and I are thinking about building a solar panel-roofed carport that would provide off-the-grid charging, but the upfront costs are pretty steep. (And the technology seems to be getting cheaper and more efficient every year, so I feel torn about building now rather than waiting.) After a month of using EV-go, how do you feel about it? Any regrets? Thanks.

Back