paulgipe
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

EV Advocates form Eastern Sierra Electric Vehicle Association

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Mammoth Lakes electric vehicle advocates have joined together to form the Eastern Sierra chapter of the Electric Auto Association with the hope of spurring the installation of non-Tesla EV charging stations.

The ski center and destination resort of Mammoth Lakes is the largest town on US 395 that runs north and south along the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada. The city is 40 miles north of Bishop, the second-largest population center on the US 395 corridor, and 30 miles south of Lee Vining, the gateway to the eastern entrance to Yosemite National Park.

Formed by Electric Auto Association President Raejean Fellows and Don Condon, the chapter hopes to initially drum up interest in installing J1772 Level 2 stations. Fellows and Condon live in the community and have noted the lack of public, non-Tesla charge stations.

Tesla operates a Supercharger station in Mammoth Lakes with eight charging kiosks. Four resort hotels operate Tesla destination chargers and J1772 chargers for customers. There are no public charging stations of any kind in Mammoth Lakes.

The new EAA chapter is also working with organizers of the Solar Pavillion in Lee Vining to install a J1772 Level 2 station in Hess Park.

One Chevy Bolt driver had her car towed 200 miles by AAA from Mojave to Mammoth Lakes for the summer because of the absence charge stations on US 395.

Condon is meeting with ChargePoint's regional representative this week.

For more information, contact Condon at 510-467-2197.
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

GRA

Re: EV Advocates form Eastern Sierra Electric Vehicle Association

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 pm

The park in Lee Vining's a good location, walking distance to downtown restaurants. The deli's a bit far, 1.1 miles, and a little uphill at the end which can be a bit of a struggle for those who've just driven up from sea level and aren't yet acclimatized or aren't regular hikers, especially when it's hot. I've spent a few afternoons/evenings lazing on a pad in the park, and scouted it for charging several years back (2012 or 2013, I think), as it's one of the few public places near downtown with parking that isn't usually full during the season.

Paul, do you know if they completed the Solar Pavilion yet? The last update I can find on their site was mid-May, when they had the permits but costs had gone up, so they were still fundraising. [Edit] I see from your post on the Bolt forum (and a video I found online showing construction underway) that it was supposed to go live on Tuesday. Any news? I'm hoping to head back up to the Tuolumne area next week, and if I do I'll try and swing by LV and check it out if you haven't heard anything, and report it here.

I also talked to several of the motel owners or managers in town about putting in L2 at the same time I was checking out the park, and IIRR Lakeview Lodge has some cottages that have RV sub-panels with TT-30s or maybe 10-30s (I forget) located next to them. Motels might be more inclined to install destination chargers now that there will soon be many more (non-Tesla) BEVs that can realistically get there, assuming CEC actually builds the QCs on 120 and 395 they've been promising for the past year or two.

Also, I think the Shell station in LV (or the 5 spot public parking just south of it) has room for parking for some QCs, and given Shell's activity in Europe and elsewhere of adding QCs and/or H2 to existing stations, maybe some contact with Shell corporate could be useful. It would give them some good PR. The Mono Lake Committee HQ would seem to be an obvious spot, but they don't have dedicated parking. Mono Basin Visitor Center is well away from amenities in town, just having itself, a few picnic tables and the view, but maybe something could be done there. These are all sites where PV would work - the visitor center already has it.
Last edited by GRA on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

gene
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 pm

In Independence since 2014, and at my request, both The Independence Inn and Rays Den Motel have Nema 14-50. You cna find them on Plugshare.
Sold 2013 Leaf. Sold 2013 Model S. These days we have three Model 3's in the household. Mine, my wife's, and my son's. On the roof: 8.8 Kw solar, 2 Powerwalls.

GRA

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:25 pm

gene wrote:In Independence since 2014, and at my request, both The Independence Inn and Rays Den Motel have Nema 14-50. You cna find them on Plugshare.

Certainly better than nothing, but we don't want people to have to be dependent on portable EVSEs, especially since most of them (as yet) aren't designed to handle L2.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

gene
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 pm

GRA wrote:
gene wrote:In Independence since 2014, and at my request, both The Independence Inn and Rays Den Motel have Nema 14-50. You cna find them on Plugshare.

Certainly better than nothing, but we don't want people to have to be dependent on portable EVSEs, especially since most of them (as yet) aren't designed to handle L2.
I agree, maybe one of these hotel owners will be happy to add a Clipper Creek or whatever.
Sold 2013 Leaf. Sold 2013 Model S. These days we have three Model 3's in the household. Mine, my wife's, and my son's. On the roof: 8.8 Kw solar, 2 Powerwalls.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:09 pm

:: two thumbs up ::

The owners of L1 mobile EVSE can upgrade to L2 for a reasonable fee. E.g., evseupgrade.com
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GRA

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Checked my notes from that trip, and I think it was either 5 or 6 of the cabins at Lakeview Lodge had 5-15Rs near the front of the cabin (well within parking range) and some had 10-30Rs or TT-30Rs (wasn't clear which in my notes) near the back of the cabins which might be reachable by EVSE cords, and definitely doable with a (thick) extension cord.

paulgipe
Gold Member

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:45 pm

GRA wrote:Paul, do you know if they completed the Solar Pavilion yet? The last update I can find on their site was mid-May, when they had the permits but costs had gone up, so they were still fundraising. [Edit] I see from your post on the Bolt forum (and a video I found online showing construction underway) that it was supposed to go live on Tuesday. Any news? I'm hoping to head back up to the Tuolumne area next week, and if I do I'll try and swing by LV and check it out if you haven't heard anything, and report it here.

Guy,

I have an article on the Solar Pavilion in the hopper but I won't put it up until the solar is live. Until then it's just a glass canopy.

As of today, Friday, it is not live, according to Janet Carle, the project lead on it.

They could put in a CC L2 before the snow flies if they can find a donor. They've raised $80,000 so far so I think they could do it on their own but it could happen quicker if someone steps up and throws money at them.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

paulgipe
Gold Member

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks Gene for talking Jim into installing those 14-50s. I made my decision to get a Leaf while staying there one day. A Tesla driver pulled up and parked right in front of me. He talked me into the Leaf.

We've been charging our Volt and now our Bolt for the past two years--couldn't figure out a way to get the Leaf there.

We carry a Jesla just for such locations.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

paulgipe
Gold Member

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 pm

GRA wrote:Checked my notes from that trip, and I think it was either 5 or 6 of the cabins at Lakeview Lodge had 5-15Rs near the front of the cabin (well within parking range) and some had 10-30Rs or TT-30Rs (wasn't clear which in my notes) near the back of the cabins which might be reachable by EVSE cords, and definitely doable with a (thick) extension cord.

Guy,

Do check them out. Having a hotel that would cater to EVs would be helpful. I've been an EV ambassador a number of times but in some locations I won't charge and won't recommend the site if the cable is in a traveled way (sidewalk) or the outlet is dinged up.

I love the fact you take notes. That's very helpful.

Paul
\
Bakersfield, California

Return to “Pacific USA”