LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: CA owners - are you removing your white/green HOV decals?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:40 pm

mwalsh wrote:
Reddy wrote:No carpool lanes for me, but removing stickers is often easier if you warm them up with a hair dryer/heat gun. The adhesives underneath need to be warmed up, but not too hot to burn the plastic/paper sticker.

I'd use a hair dryer certainly, but my heat gun settings are 800 degrees and 1200 degrees - I'm not sure I'd go there on a plastic bumper cover.

I've done it. Use the Low setting and keep the gun at least a foot away from the bumper.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 am

I took the stickers off both cars yesterday (4 HOV on the Volt, 3 HOV plus the EV parking sticker on the LEAF). Seven came off quite easily, but one was a Son of a Bitch!

The six that came off easily, the plastic sheeting that made up the top layer of the sticker pretty much separated from the adhesive, but not so much that I was left with a "VOID" imprint on the bumpers. Instead I was left with a white patch that was pretty much everything except the printing (which appeared to be reverse printed on the back of the plastic sheeting). This residue I hit up with some Goof Off, and it came off relatively easily. I followed this with a spot wash of the area with soapy (car wash) water.

The one sticker that was a S.O.A.B was the smaller HOV sticker on the back of the LEAF, and on it the plastic sheeting would not separate from the adhesive at all. Plus the Goof Off had zero effect on the plastic. So I started to scrape it off with a fingernail; then got frustrated with the pace and went to a utility knife blade. The latter mostly worked OK, but I did end up jacking up my paint a tiny bit. I covered those boo-boos with a GB country sticker. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have left any sticker giving me the slightest resistance in place.

Fading around the stickers was about what I had expected - somewhat noticeable, but not to the point that it would be obvious if you didn't know where to look.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 78,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am

Wasn't planning on it.

Heck, the long useless (expired in 2011) yellow stickers are still on the rear bumper cover of my 06 Prius. The front one was removed by a body shop when the had to repaint half of my front bumper cover after my dad got into a minor accident when he'd borrowed my car.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Pacific USA”