nexusplexus
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 401375
Location: Orange County

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 am

Details of the Brea Mall location
http://www.cityofbrea.net/DocumentCenter/View/809
Between Macy's and Sears on the south side entrance of the mall.

JeremyW wrote:QC at the brea mall looks good to me! :)
2013 Leaf SV +QC
Enphase 4.5Kw

DisturbedAle
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:34 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2014
Location: SGV, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:42 pm

I hope to be joining the LA Leaf Team, however, I am trying to get first hand experience regarding the battery on the Leaf.

I am thinking about purchasing vs leasing the 2014 Leaf (Base w/ QC). However, I am hearing horror stories regarding the battery and heat... The car will be uncovered and un-garaged for the majority of its lifespan. What are some of your (or known) experiences of this situation during the heat? I'd hope to own the vehicle for at least 6+ years.

Valdemar
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:50 pm

The key question is how far do you want to be able to go in your Leaf after 6 years.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
59.7AHr, SOH 93%, 118k miles
9kW Solar

RonDawg
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:27 pm

DisturbedAle wrote:I hope to be joining the LA Leaf Team, however, I am trying to get first hand experience regarding the battery on the Leaf.

I am thinking about purchasing vs leasing the 2014 Leaf (Base w/ QC). However, I am hearing horror stories regarding the battery and heat... The car will be uncovered and un-garaged for the majority of its lifespan. What are some of your (or known) experiences of this situation during the heat? I'd hope to own the vehicle for at least 6+ years.


When you say LA, what area are you talking about? Battery degradation will be far worse for a Leaf in the San Fernando Valley than one in Santa Monica.

If you live in a warm part of the county and with a car that will be un-garaged, you will hit Nissan's "end of life" (70% of original capacity) long before you reach year 6. The battery aging model in the Wiki (link upper center) is only predicting a bit over 5 years' battery life if the car is kept in Van Nuys.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

User avatar
abasile
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1897
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:31 pm

DisturbedAle wrote:I am thinking about purchasing vs leasing the 2014 Leaf (Base w/ QC). However, I am hearing horror stories regarding the battery and heat... The car will be uncovered and un-garaged for the majority of its lifespan. What are some of your (or known) experiences of this situation during the heat? I'd hope to own the vehicle for at least 6+ years.

Un-garaged wouldn't be all bad, as it'll allow the car to cool at night.

I wouldn't buy a new LEAF in SoCal until Nissan fixes the excessive temperature-related battery degradation, which seems to be a LEAF-only issue and not a general EV issue. Either buy a different EV or lease a LEAF. My LEAF's battery capacity has dropped more slowly because I'm up in the cooler mountains (though I commuted "down the hill" for ~ 2 years in the LEAF), which is sort of good except that it's still been faster than Nissan anticipated but not enough to likely qualify for the 5 year / 60K mile battery capacity warranty.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

Valdemar
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:12 am

Why 70% is "end of life"? I don't think it's been established the battery capacity will drop more rapidly after reaching 70% remaining, and 60 mile range may be acceptable for many people.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
59.7AHr, SOH 93%, 118k miles
9kW Solar

RonDawg
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:40 am

Valdemar wrote:Why 70% is "end of life"? I don't think it's been established the battery capacity will drop more rapidly after reaching 70% remaining, and 60 mile range may be acceptable for many people.


I thought that is what Nissan considers "end of life" for the battery?

Has anybody continued to drive their car at or below 8 bars?
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Valdemar
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:08 am

RonDawg wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Why 70% is "end of life"? I don't think it's been established the battery capacity will drop more rapidly after reaching 70% remaining, and 60 mile range may be acceptable for many people.


I thought that is what Nissan considers "end of life" for the battery?

Has anybody continued to drive their car at or below 8 bars?


Probably not as they would likely just get a new battery under warranty. I won't be able to benefit from it so I plan to drive mine until range drops to 40-50 miles, or even lower if my commute will allow it. This plan may not materialize of course if there's a rapid decline in capacity past certain level. Only time will tell.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
59.7AHr, SOH 93%, 118k miles
9kW Solar

RonDawg
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 am

Valdemar wrote:Probably not as they would likely just get a new battery under warranty.


At least one person here has put over 60k on his car and thus would not qualify for the warranty. It's that person/those persons whom I wonder if they have reached the 8 bar level and if so are they continuing to operate their vehicles that way, and if so are they noticing a rapidly increasing rate of degradation since they hit the 8th bar.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Lopton
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:21 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300864
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 am

DisturbedAle wrote:I hope to be joining the LA Leaf Team, however, I am trying to get first hand experience regarding the battery on the Leaf.

I am thinking about purchasing vs leasing the 2014 Leaf (Base w/ QC). However, I am hearing horror stories regarding the battery and heat... The car will be uncovered and un-garaged for the majority of its lifespan. What are some of your (or known) experiences of this situation during the heat? I'd hope to own the vehicle for at least 6+ years.


I live in Lake View Terrace, and have had my car for over 3 years now, it always parked outside. I've lost one capacity bar, but the best measure I have of capacity loss is that I used to be able to make it from my house to LAX (65 miles) no problems, now it is dicey I really need a quick charge for about 5 minutes to make it comfortably.

-Matt
Original 2011 Leaf SV #857 - Total Loss on 11/27/2015
New 2016 Leaf SL #300864

Return to “Pacific USA”