edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Upstate (formerly North) California LEAFs

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:56 pm

[i]12/6/14 edit: Thread title change. I added "Upstate" to North California LEAFs.

Please limit this thread to LEAF/BEV news for the Northern third of California, from the Bay Area-to-Sacramento-(almost)-to-Reno line, north to the Oregon Border.

I just wanted to report that there is a blue LEAF at Crown Motors Redding, if anyone local would like to take a look.

It's not an official, "demo", but was brought in for Cool April Nights, and will be at some of the events this week. Not sure if you can drive it or not, I didn't ask. As it has been 5 months since I'd seen one, I had a chance to take a look at a few of the details I was wondering about.

I also asked about their two L2 chargers, and they will be powered and available 24 hours a day, Cypress ave. exit, about a mile west of I-5 should any of you Southerners be headed up this way.

The folks at Crown have been very pleasant, especially considering I ordered elsewhere. They were not on the LEAF dealer order database when I RAQ'd In September, but they said they have 13 orders as of today. More than I'd have expected for a "small' town like Redding.

And I was told two of these LEAFs may well be delivered before mine, even though ordered months later...

For those lucky buyers, my sincere congratulations.

I'm still waiting on my "week of May 2" delivery.
Last edited by edatoakrun on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun

Re: Northern Northern California LEAF's

Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 pm

My LEAF made it to Petaluma this AM, and should be ready for pick-up tomorrow.

I am looking for a contingency charge point along highways 113/99 between Davis and Chico sometime between Friday and Monday. Even a short 120 volt charge might allow me to avoid the "flatbed of shame". Between Biggs and Chico, would be Ideal.

The Woodland J 1772 is still out of commission (and the 120 volt outlet on-site is turned off, also, according to Adam at PG&E!) so, as far as I know, the gap is 90-93 miles.

So if there is anyone, member, lurker, or otherwise, that can make an offer of assistance, by posting here or sending me a private message, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, two January orders made it to Redding Nissan today, on the same day as my 10/1 order...

Ed

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 pm

See PM ...

:)
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

edatoakrun

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:42 am

Looks like this class will be about 1/2 on a survey of alternative fuels (including BEVs) and 1/2 on propane, specifically.

I spoke to one of the staff to register, and it sounds like there is a decent chance to sell the concept of combining BEV charging with propane for the (very few) north state alt fuel site opportunities. Note the Sacramento class next month, for you CENTRAL CA folks...

Class details and reg info at the link below.

No Cost, 3-day class! Register now for Transfer Flow’s Alternative Fuel Training Class, Jan. 17 - 19 in Redding or Feb. 6 - 8 in Sacramento! Lunch will be provided on all three days, and attendees will receive two training certificates upon completion of the class, plus the training books! Call Warren Johnson today at (530) 893-5209, ext. 12 to register!

Dates and Locations
January 17 - 19
Smart Business Resource Center
1201 Placer Street, Redding, CA

February 6 - 8
Teeco Products
7471 Reese Road, Sacramento,CA

http://www.transferflow.com/propane_training.html

edatoakrun

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 am

Well, I think there are probably a few dozen LEAFs in the area, now.

At least two of them will be at:

http://wholeearthandwatershedfestival.org/

The newly-formed SCEVO association will have a LEAF on display, and more info available for potential EV owners, on Saturday the 28th, 10-3, at Redding City Hall.

Feel free to drop by, or pass the word on, if you have friends or relatives in the area,

If you'd like to help with the effort, by hanging out at the display for a while, and answering EV questions, post here, or PM me.

gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Re: North California LEAFs

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Very cool!
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org

edatoakrun

Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm

A year after picking up my LEAF and driving it home from the Bay area, I finally made the trip back.

530 miles over 3 days, all on L2. I took my previous Route south, charging at public J 1772s, with charges in Chico (I made it to the Chico EAA meeting, and the while-you-recharge Sierra Nevada brewery tour and free tasting, is worth the trip in itself), Woodland, Vacaville, and San Rafael, my overnight destination, 251 miles in total. Sunday I made my way to Lafayette, where I added a few bars, then returned to Vacaville for the night, about 93 miles. To my regret, I didn’t have the time to risk a side trip to the San Ramon DC.

From Vacaville, it’s about 185 miles to my home, along the I-5 corridor, (driving mostly on what is left of old highway 99) with stops at Williams and Corning, using my 16 amp upgraded EVSE at RV parks.

At the end of the first day I was dreading the return trip, but old 99 turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Much lower level of traffic than on the eastern route, with far less obnoxious drivers. Apparently it’s driven mostly by locals, who manage to simply pass slower vehicles, rather than forming ICEV-tailgating-caterpillars, which made the two lane “new” 99 and 113 route a nightmare.

If you want to drive at or below the speed limit, to add range per kWh, take “old” 99.

I also think that well-run RV parks are often superior to public J1772s for required BEV charging, as opposed to opportunity PHEV charging, where L2 opportunities are few and far between.

I had back-up charge points for the entire trip lined up, and needed them twice at public J1772s, one being ICED, and one out of order.

The two RV parks both wanted my business, and I was happy to pay their modest fees. (will post details at Recargo soon).

Both said I would be welcome to check in before closing hours, and come and go as I pleased, or just take a nap (in fairly secure and quiet locations) till my charge was complete.

Next trip I will probably leave in the afternoon and recharge overnight on L1 at a motel (I checked out the charge opportunities at several in Williams), requiring only a few hours of L2 to make it to the plethora of J1772s at Vacaville.

No real drama. I turned over 9,000 miles during the trip, with no detectable range loss. LEAF NAV, unfortunately, does not contain many of the roads used, and old 99 has been rerouted and renamed in so many places, I’d suggest you try it during daylight, at least the first time.

I never even saw the LBW, as my longest leg between charges was the 89 miles from home to Chico.

Edit: I actually did see, LBW, and drove a few miles past VLBW, as planned, when I made the familiar 51+ mile last leg from Vacaville to San Rafael Saturday night, having started with only 7 bars.

I kept written logs, which along with CW, will allow me the confidence to reduce recharge times, by charging to between 70% and 90%, at both Williams and Corning, rather than charging to 100%, next trip.

Yes, you will need patience headed into North California in a LEAF, but if you have the time, there is no need to wait for DC, IMO.

I hope to make a trip to Oregon, and link up with the DC (I-5 Green Highway) corridor soon.

gascant

Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 am

Wouldn't have imagined it possible a year ago. This summer, I'm giving serious consideration to driving from San Jose to San Diego in the LEAF. It's doable if one has time and patience.

gascant

Mon May 21, 2012 9:43 am

edatoakrun wrote:530 miles over 3 days, all on L2. I took my previous Route south, charging at public J 1772s, with charges in Chico (I made it to the Chico EAA meeting, and the while-you-recharge Sierra Nevada brewery tour and free tasting, is worth the trip in itself), Woodland, Vacaville, and San Rafael, my overnight destination, 251 miles in total. Sunday I made my way to Lafayette, where I added a few bars, then returned to Vacaville for the night, about 93 miles. To my regret, I didn’t have the time to risk a side trip to the San Ramon DC.

Did you ever write this up and post it on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page? I'm pretty sure you'd get some response from Jonathan, the social media director. Also, would be good to see your map/charge spots. Or are they all posted on Recargo now?

edatoakrun

Mon May 21, 2012 6:05 pm

gascant wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:530 miles over 3 days, all on L2. I took my previous Route south, charging at public J 1772s, with charges in Chico (I made it to the Chico EAA meeting, and the while-you-recharge Sierra Nevada brewery tour and free tasting, is worth the trip in itself), Woodland, Vacaville, and San Rafael, my overnight destination, 251 miles in total. Sunday I made my way to Lafayette, where I added a few bars, then returned to Vacaville for the night, about 93 miles. To my regret, I didn’t have the time to risk a side trip to the San Ramon DC.

Did you ever write this up and post it on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page? I'm pretty sure you'd get some response from Jonathan, the social media director. Also, would be good to see your map/charge spots. Or are they all posted on Recargo now?

Posted at Recargo. Also check out the Recargo RV park sites in the Lassen National Park region.

IMO, Rancheria RV park at Hat Creek (where I charged yesterday on a 140m mile Lassen Park HWY 299/89/44 loop trip) would be a particularly good place to stay for an EV summer trip to the nearby Parks and wilderness areas.

They have 3 tent sites with 50 Amp service!

The Lassen Peak road should be plowed and open in a few more weeks...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5022&hilit=+lassen

Return to “Pacific USA”