Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 am

We have enough space for at least two EVs at:

2013 Whole Earth and Watershed Festival

Saturday April 27, 2013 10am to 4pm

FREE EVENT Community-Wide ~ Multiple Activities

Redding City Hall and Sculpture Park

And Along Park Marina Dr.

http://wholeearthandwatershedfestival.org/

We have a 2013 Volt lined up, and would like to have a 2013 LEAF (or any other EV) also. So if you have one, and would like to display your car, please reply or PM me. Of course, to all others, please drop by to check out the EVs and talk about the North State EV experience.

BTW, a few weeks ago I dropped by Crown Nissan, and they had three '13 LEAFs in stock, and made me an offer I (almost) couldn't refuse but did. I'm very satisfied with my '11 overall, but next time I'm waiting for an L2 along I-5, I'll be missing the 6.0 kWh charger.

For others interested in a '13 LEAF, it sounds like Crown may ~match the prices offered by the larger Nissan dealers down south on LEAFs, which, I've been told, may not always be the case for some of the ICEV dealers in Redding.
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: North California LEAFs

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 am

I took a five day ~730 mile trip last week, my major destinations being Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Los Gatos, Santa Cruz, Mountain View (Google EV summit), and Clear Lake.

It was a great trip, I visited a lot of my old Bay Area friends (I moved North in '93) and it also turned into sort of a nostalgia trip for me, with the addition of the unplanned drive to Santa Cruz. I have a lot of childhood memories of the Beach and Boardwalk, but hadn't been there for close to 40 years.

And I had a great time on the drive also, particularly when driving my LEAF where DC is available (I used Vacaville, Colma twice, and Petaluma) which I could do for ~half the total miles.

No real range anxiety, anywhere, relying primarily on corrected nav screen m/kWh to monitor my SOC (The app being less accurate for this purpose, in my experience).

Over the entire trip I had three planned LBWs, all on the L2-fueled legs of the trip, and kept my SOC well above the VLBW.

Yes, the Bay area DCs are often poorly located, all single-charger sites, and subject to various dependability issues, but it is still great to (almost) get the experience I think most BEVs will have soon...fast and reliable DC charging.

No, I'll never be able to do this trip in a ~20 kWh available BEV as fast as in an ICEV, but the extra travel time is more than offset, IMO, by not burning any tar-juice for the whole trip.

In 2011 I drove back from the Bay Area, after picking up my LEAF. I probably made three or four Bay Area trips by ICEV that year.

In 2012 I made one LEAF round trip, to the Bay Area (still with no DC) and two trips by ICEV.

This is my third LEAF round trip this year, and the longest one yet. No need for an ICEV for this trip this year, yet.

The Vacaville DC is huge for us North State LEAF drivers (and another DC in Fairfield is supposed to be up soon).

The Winters (Railroad Park) and Middletown (Thanks, Chef Steve!) J1772s also give you 24 hour charge options allowing you to stretch for longer drives to link up with DC.

About my only disappointment from the trip was that heading into a stiff breeze all the way South, I might not have made my hoped-for ~106 miles from Orland to the Vacaville DC without the brief L2 stop I made at Winters (at ~90.6 miles, and ~7.1 miles past the first LBW, from my "100%" charge at Orland).

Well, there's always the next trip...

IIRC, it took me ~17 hours with J 1772 charges in Vacaville, Davis, Chico, and Redding to cover the:
249 miles, from Walnut Creek CA to Shasta County, on the second day of my 300+mile drive home, after picking up my LEAF in Petaluma, on May 16 (2011)...

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7042

Without a L2 EVSE, or any J1772's on the I-5 (old 99) corridor in 2011, I had to detour to both Chico and Redding to make that drive.

There are still no J1772s between Winters and Redding (other than the obsolete tesla roadster charge site at Orland) but with My EVSE upgrade, the lack of L2 infrastructure is largely irrelevant.

My trip on 8/26/13 of 226.1 miles took 9 hours and 20 minutes door to door, requiring ~4.5 hours of 16 amp L2 at Orland and Winters, and ~30 minutes of DC at Vacaville.

So that's some progress...

One DC charger between Corning and Williams will cut this travel time to ~ 5 hours.

And two DCs on this stretch of I-5 will cut total travel time to ~ 4 hours, less than an hour longer than I can make it (at legal speeds) by ICEV.

I hope that's not too far in the future.

edit
Last edited by edatoakrun on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASP
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2013

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:08 am

edatoakrun wrote:I took a five day ~730 mile trip last week, my major destinations being Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Los Gatos, Santa Cruz, Mountain View (Google EV summit), and Clear Lake.

It was a great trip, I visited a lot of my old Bay Area friends (I moved North in '93) and it also turned into sort of a nostalgia trip for me, with the addition of the unplanned drive to Santa Cruz. I have a lot of childhood memories of the Beach and Boardwalk, but hadn't been there for close to 40 years.

And I had a great time on the drive also, particularly when driving my LEAF where DC is available (I used Vacaville, Colma twice, and Petaluma) which I could do for ~half the total miles.

No real range anxiety, anywhere, relying primarily on corrected nav screen m/kWh to monitor my SOC (The app being less accurate for this purpose, in my experience).

Over the entire trip I had three planned LBWs, all on the L2-fueled legs of the trip, and kept my SOC well above the VLBW.

Yes, the Bay area DCs are often poorly located, all single-charger sites, and subject to various dependability issues, but it is still great to (almost) get the experience I think most BEVs will have soon...fast and reliable DC charging.

No, I'll never be able to do this trip in a ~20 kWh available BEV as fast as in an ICEV, but the extra travel time is more than offset, IMO, by not burning any tar-juice for the whole trip.

In 2011 I drove back from the Bay Area, after picking up my LEAF. I probably made three or four Bay Area trips by ICEV that year.

In 2012 I made one LEAF round trip, to the Bay Area (still with no DC) and two trips by ICEV.

This is my third LEAF round trip this year, and the longest one yet. No need for an ICEV for this trip this year, yet.

The Vacaville DC is huge for us North State LEAF drivers (and another DC in Fairfield is supposed to be up soon).

The Winters (Railroad Park) and Middletown (Thanks, Chef Steve!) J1772s also give you 24 hour charge options allowing you to stretch for longer drives to link up with DC.

About my only disappointment from the trip was that heading into a stiff breeze all the way South, I might not have made my hoped-for ~106 miles from Orland to the Vacaville DC without the brief L2 stop I made at Winters (at ~90.6 miles, and ~7.1 miles past the first LBW, from my "100%" charge at Orland).

Well, there's always the next trip...

IIRC, it took me ~17 hours with J 1772 charges in Vacaville, Davis, Chico, and Redding to cover the:
249 miles, from Walnut Creek CA to Shasta County, on the second day of my 300+mile drive home, after picking up my LEAF in Petaluma, on May 16 (2011)...

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7042

Without a L2 EVSE, or any J1772's on the I-5 (old 99) corridor in 2011, I had to detour to both Chico and Redding to make that drive.

There are still no J1772s between Winters and Redding (other than the obsolete tesla roadster charge site at Orland) but with My EVSE upgrade, the lack of L2 infrastructure is largely irrelevant.

My on 8/26/11 of 226.1 miles took 9 hours and 20 minutes door to door, requiring ~4.5 hours of 16 amp L2 at Orland and Winters, and ~30 minutes of DC at Vacaville.

So that's some progress...

One DC charger between Corning and Williams will cut this travel time to ~ 5 hours.

And two DCs on this stretch of I-5 will cut total travel time to ~ 4 hours, less than an hour longer than I can make it (at legal speeds) by ICEV.

I hope that's not too far in the future.

Nice to hear about your experiences! I agree with you about the need for one more DC charger along the route - one in Yuba City would be good probably. We just took a trip in our LEAF from the Chico, CA area to Rohnert Park in the North Bay. Made it from Chico to Woodland with about 8% on a full charge, and charged up there for an hour and a half to about 51% and then hit the Vacaville quick charger. Pretty easy trip - one more QC would have enabled faster speeds and less charging time. I know they have a QC that just opened in Davis now (which would help eliminate the L2 in Woodland) but it might be hard to make it there on a full charge. Maybe we could next time if we went even slower....

surfingslovak
Vendor

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:48 pm

edatoakrun wrote:IIRC, it took me ~17 hours with J 1772 charges in Vacaville, Davis, Chico, and Redding

Rumor has it that Davis will be getting a QC very soon, and more sites are planned in the Sacramento area.

Randy3

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Not sure if this is the best sub-forum to post this in, but here goes (if not, mods, please kick the post out)...

The early adopters are nearing the three year mark on our LEAF ownership. I'm now under three months away from that magical point. I call it magical because after three years, we who took CARB rebates can sell our LEAFs without giving back some of the rebate.

I've been watching the Kelly Blue Book valuations for my 2011 LEAF SL with an eye toward selling it in mid-January 2014. Low book has it at about $14,500 (what I'd expect from Carmax). Also, right now there are very few used LEAFs for sale in Northern California (based on Autotrader and Carmax sites). But I'd love to get a sense of if that might change come January.

So my questions to other Northern California owners are --
1. Are you getting close to the three year ownership mark (?), and
2. If so, are you considering selling your LEAF at that point?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Randy
Fresno, CA
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

ILETRIC
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Sell and lose 13,000 bucks? That's over 4,000/year depreciation.

I'm staying put, waiting for that 120-mile battery, cold or hot. I'm willing to spend 5 grand or more -- whatever it takes -- to bring this bird up to a decent range.

There is nothing wrong with it, so why sell? I can live with that 3.3 charger for a while longer. So, for me it's just a waiting game.
------------------------------------------------
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

Traded-in on 10-19-2014 at 56,150 miles
-------------> for Kia Soul EV+ <-------------

edatoakrun

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 am

There is a DC charger at Chico Nissan!

Just called to confirm, and was told it's available 7:30 AM to 7:00 pm six days a week, and till 6:00 PM Sundays.

So, using the slightly longer 80/99 route, you can now drive north from the Bay Area to well past Redding (If you keep the speed down from Davis to Chico) without having to wait for AC/L2 charging.

http://www.plugshare.com/

Also shows new DCs up and running at Davis, Sacramento, and Richmond Nissan dealers, and an EVGO DC at Emeryville.

And more DCs at Pt. Reyes Station and Livermore coming soon.

It's a (bit late) Festivus miracle!

edatoakrun

Re: Upstate (formerly North) California LEAFs

Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:16 pm

12/6/14 edit: Thread title change. I added "Upstate" to North California LEAFs.

Please limit this thread to LEAF/BEV news for the Northern third of California, from the Bay Area-to-Sacramento-(almost) to-Reno line, north to the Oregon Border.

The:

Upstate California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan

Upstate California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan - Final Report
(308 pages!)

http://www.siskiyoucounty.org/pev

Are both available at the links on the site above.

Direct link to map of proposed sites:

http://www.schatzlab.org/projects/polic ... scenario=2

After ~ 2 years and ~$200k spent, the entire proposed site map looks reasonable.

Following the same mistakes made (IMO) in most other areas, too many suburban DCs and L2s, too few DC sites along highways.

But the (lower priority...) Whiskeytown, Palo Cedro, Round mountain, Burney, and Shingletown DCs could transform my local driving experience, and the I-5 DCs would do the same for longer North/South trips.

I'm not sure where and how soon they plan to come up with the funding, but anyone who understands local politics will notice the planned sites for the prioritized DCs in Redding...

And, on the other hand, the same ~$200 k spent to install a few DC/L2 sites might have gone further to promote BEVs.

MartinChico
Delivery Date: 22 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 314697

Re: Upstate (formerly North) California LEAFs & Chico EAA

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:36 am

(Forwarded from Chico EAA by M. Wallace)

Place: Chico Nissan Hyundai, 575 Manzanita Ave, Chico, CA 95926
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2015
Time: 10am

(1) We would like to start this year off with a "Meet and Greet - Old Fashion EV Drive-in" event. If you own an EV, please bring it. We would like to have EV'ers share their experiences with new EV owners.
(2) We will have a short, business meeting at 11am to hear ideas for future meeting topics and locations.
(3) We will also have a short presentation on charging stations.

Also, if you have not seen the new 2015 Nissan Leaf, here is your chance.

Please help us increase the interest in EV's by telling your friends about our club and this meeting. We would like to form interest groups around EV topics like: charging stations, new vehicles, conversions, etc. We need your ideas and support as we plan for 2015.

Thank you for your interest in EV's and we'll see you on the 24th.

For more information, contact:
Jerry Brandstatt, President
Chico EV (the Chico Chapter of the Electric Auto Association)
ChicoEAA@Yahoo.com
2015 Leaf S w/QC, Mfd 09/2014; purchased Dec. 22, 2014

edatoakrun

Re: Upstate (formerly North) California LEAFs

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Two of us are planning to drive down to the Chico EVA meeting on Saturday.

Maybe We'll know more about (xpost from posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=408997) this news by then.

edatoakrun wrote:Wonder if these are public and for all BEVs, or a variation on the previously announced (non-CHAdeMO) chargers at dealerships?

...BMW, Volkswagen...have teamed with ChargePoint...to install networks of high-speed chargers along two interstate corridors. One will link San Diego with Portland, Ore. The other will stretch from Washington, D.C. to Boston.

Both networks should be up and running by the end of the year...

Each station will include as many as two fast chargers. Some of those will operate at 50 kW, and will be capable of restoring 80 percent of the battery charge for an i3 or an e-Golf in as little as 20 minutes. Others will operate at 24 kW...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/ ... 031240.php

I may find the time Saturday to drop by Chico BMW...

Return to “Pacific USA”