edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Upstate (formerly North) California LEAFs

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:21 pm

xpost from:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&p=411638#p411638

Follow the money:

Only 100 DCs, but assuming they are placed correctly, and designed and maintained to meet reliability standard exceeding the various rinky-dink efforts so far, this could be very significant, particularly for we living in the ~half of PG&E territory where there are NO DC's now.

PG&E Proposes Major Build-Out of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) today asked state regulators for permission to build an estimated 25,000 electric vehicle (EV) chargers at sites across its service area in Northern and Central California. If approved, this program would be the largest deployment of EV charging stations in the country...

All of the 25,000 stations PG&E proposes to build would have Level 2 chargers, which provide up to 25 miles of range for every hour of charging. To support travel between metropolitan areas, PG&E would also install at key locations 100 DC fast chargers, which can recharge an EV’s battery in only 30 minutes. A growing number of DC fast charging stations are being deployed along the "West Coast Electric Highway," which serves drivers from British Columbia to Baja California.

The chargers would be provided at no cost to the site host. PG&E proposes to own all of the infrastructure, but contract with third parties to build, install and maintain the chargers and manage customer billing. The utility expects that the program will take about five years to complete following approval by the California Public Utilities Commission.

http://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/ne ... g_stations
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:18 am

Lets hope that these comments add up to multiple chargers per 7/24 charge site, and located primarily at highway intersections where short-term stops are desired for food/drink/restrooms.

And I hope Nissan understands, that most of Northern California is North of the I-80 divide.

Starting with (IMO) Red Bluff, Williams, ~Willows, Chico, Yuba city, ~Colfax, Truckee, Redding, Mt Shasta...

NISSAN AND KANEMATSU TO ENCOURAGE LONGER DISTANCE
EV TRAVEL IN CALIFORNIA

YOKOHAMA/TOKYO, Japan (March 4, 2015)—Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and the Japan-based trading company, Kanematsu Corporation, will work with the New Energy Industrial Technology and Development Organization (NEDO), Japan's largest public R&D management organization, to encourage the use of electric vehicles for longer-distance driving in Northern California. As the project's research coordinator, Nissan will organize the project and compile preliminary results together with Kanematsu up to the end of June 2015. The results will then be used in the project's validation efforts...

The NEDO project will seek to encourage the use of electric vehicles for longer-distance, inter-city driving by installing and maintaining multiple rapid chargers along specific inter-city routes. Nissan and Kanematsu will collect, analyze, and research data on EV driving patterns in California, and create a suitable model to help promote more extensive use of electric vehicles in the state and beyond.

Project Overview
With the help of the California state government, Nissan and Kanematsu plan to place additional quick chargers at suitable locations along inter-city freeways in Northern California, and use project-specific information services to guide EV users to the most efficient quick chargers along the route. They will then assess whether the combined hardware/software model can successfully encourage users to drive longer distances in their EVs.

Nissan's role in the project will be to install and operate the quick chargers, and analyze any changes in EV usage as a result.

Kanematsu will provide real-time information services to EV users. Kanematsu will also investigate potential business applications for real-time data and Big Data relating to EVs and EV charging systems.

Nissan is the world's leading manufacturer of EVs, with sales of Nissan LEAF and other EVs totaling 164,000 units in more than 40 countries as of the end of January 2015. By collecting Nissan LEAF data from various countries, Nissan's Global Data Center is creating a broad picture of worldwide EV travel and charging patterns. Nissan plans to use the results of the preliminary study, along with its GDC data, to decide the best locations for the project's quick chargers.

Kanematsu has been working with leading Japanese and US companies to develop potential machine-to-machine (M2M) and Internet of Things (IoT) *1 business applications for automobiles. For this project, Kanematsu will work with Nissan to develop a real-time information service for EV users, and test its potential as a commercial M2M/IoT solution. Nissan and Kanematsu will also consider how in-vehicle hardware and M2M/IoT solutions can contribute to the creation of the ideal Connected Car *2 with high-functioning systems and services.

A positive outcome to the project would benefit users in the US by dramatically improving the usefulness and convenience of EVs. Encouraging the adoption of similar systems in other parts of the world could also promote broader electric vehicle ownership worldwide...

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/20 ... -02-e.html

mgs333
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2014

Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:29 am

How come this thread doesn't get stickied like the other regional threads?

BTW, just wanted to see if folks notice the amazing amount of carpool cheaters. For me, as I commute on the expressways around Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, more than half the cars I see in the carpool lane are solo, and no, they're not EVs nor plug-ins. If I was a cop, I'd just hang out by the carpool lanes and write tickets non-stop.
-Matthew
2015 S w/ QC
2002 BMW M3

GRA

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:51 pm

mgs333 wrote:How come this thread doesn't get stickied like the other regional threads?

BTW, just wanted to see if folks notice the amazing amount of carpool cheaters. For me, as I commute on the expressways around Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, more than half the cars I see in the carpool lane are solo, and no, they're not EVs nor plug-ins. If I was a cop, I'd just hang out by the carpool lanes and write tickets non-stop.
Saw a Fusion with green stickers yesterday. A regular Fusion, no Fusion Energi markings. Somebody at DMV boobed, there are counterfeit stickers, or else the owner of this car has a PEV and put his stickers on this one instead.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun

Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:14 pm

More DC planning underway, but as of now still only one DC (in Chico, and closed at night) In The great (and currently inflamed) North state.

The CEC has $10 million available for DC installation grants statewide, about $4 million of which is allocated for North California freeways:

Go to:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/contracts/GFO-15-601/

And hit the application manual link:

Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program

DC Fast Chargers for California’s North-South Corridors

(page 8)
....H. AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
A total of $10 million is available for awards under this solicitation. The Energy Commission, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to increase or decrease the amount of funds available under this solicitation.

I. MAXIMUM AWARD AMOUNTS
The following table shows the maximum award amounts by corridor.

Table 3: Maximum Awards for ECHC Corridors

ECHC Corridor Maximum Award
1 I-5: Oregon Border to Red Bluff $2,320,000
2 I-5: South of Red Bluff to north of Sacramento $1,450,000...

8 SR 99: South of Red Bluff to north of Sacramento $210,000

I could have used A DC Charger last Friday night in Corning (not to mention, another one ~ in Williams) while returning home from San Francisco.

On the positive side, I make another trip over 100 miles on a single charge.

My ~38k mile, ~4.5 year old LEAF has lost only minimal range from new in slow-speed runs like this one.

I made the ~102 mile trip north from Winters to Corning well before the VLBW, and my pack probably still had ~15 miles (had I continued driving ~ 30 mph to 35 mph) left prior to turtleing.

GRA

Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:11 pm

edatoakrun wrote:<snip>
I could have used A DC Charger last Friday night in Corning (not to mention, another one ~ in Williams) while returning home from San Francisco.

On the positive side, I make another trip over 100 miles on a single charge.

My ~38k mile, ~4.5 year old LEAF has lost only minimal range from new in slow-speed runs like this one.

I made the ~102 mile trip north from Winters to Corning well before the VLBW, and my pack probably still had ~15 miles (had I continued driving ~ 30 mph to 35 mph) left prior to turtleing.

Ed, I've got to ask: is your time really worth so little to you that you're willing to drive this slowly on such a trip, or do you not have any ICE options and have to do it?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 am

As I understand it, the CEC has given final approval and funding for the proposals below:

CORRIDORS, GFO-15-601. This solicitation sought proposals to provide funding for
projects that will install Direct Current (DC) fast charging stations on Interstate 5, State
Route 99 and U.S. Highway 101 to facilitate north-south electric vehicle travel in
California between the Oregon border and Mexico. (ARFVTP funding) Contact: Thanh
Lopez. (Staff presentation: 10 minutes)
a. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
058 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $1,449,928 grant to deploy fifteen electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of ten DC fast chargers and five level 2
electric vehicle charging stations) at five sites between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along Interstate 5....

c. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
060 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $210,000 grant to deploy three electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of two DC fast chargers and one level 2
electric vehicle charging station) at one site between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along State Route 99...

e. CHARGEPOINT, INC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-062
with ChargePoint, Inc. for a $1,997,222 grant to deploy 17 electric vehicle
charging stations (consisting of nine DC fast chargers and eight level 2 electric
vehicle charging stations) at eight sites along Interstate 5 from the Oregon border
to Red Bluff...

http://www.energy.ca.gov/business_meeti ... agenda.pdf

All the NRG (from Red Bluff South) sites seem to be for twin DCs, which should be the minimum for any future DC site, IMO.

I hope the single twin DC site on HWY 99 will be located somewhere to close the Yuba (City) gap, between the two DCs in Chico and the multiple DC sites along the I-80 (East/West) corridor, and on highway 99 from Sacramento South.

If we're lucky, the DCs might begin to show up this Summer?

tkdbrusco
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2014

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:04 am

edatoakrun wrote:As I understand it, the CEC has given final approval and funding for the proposals below:

CORRIDORS, GFO-15-601. This solicitation sought proposals to provide funding for
projects that will install Direct Current (DC) fast charging stations on Interstate 5, State
Route 99 and U.S. Highway 101 to facilitate north-south electric vehicle travel in
California between the Oregon border and Mexico. (ARFVTP funding) Contact: Thanh
Lopez. (Staff presentation: 10 minutes)
a. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
058 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $1,449,928 grant to deploy fifteen electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of ten DC fast chargers and five level 2
electric vehicle charging stations) at five sites between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along Interstate 5....

c. NRG EV SERVICES LLC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-
060 with NRG EV Services LLC for a $210,000 grant to deploy three electric
vehicle charging stations (consisting of two DC fast chargers and one level 2
electric vehicle charging station) at one site between Red Bluff and north of
Sacramento along State Route 99...

e. CHARGEPOINT, INC. Proposed resolution approving Agreement ARV-15-062
with ChargePoint, Inc. for a $1,997,222 grant to deploy 17 electric vehicle
charging stations (consisting of nine DC fast chargers and eight level 2 electric
vehicle charging stations) at eight sites along Interstate 5 from the Oregon border
to Red Bluff...

http://www.energy.ca.gov/business_meeti ... agenda.pdf

All the NRG (from Red Bluff South) sites seem to be for twin DCs, which should be the minimum for any future DC site, IMO.

I hope the single twin DC site on HWY 99 will be located somewhere to close the Yuba (City) gap, between the two DCs in Chico and the multiple DC sites along the I-80 (East/West) corridor, and on highway 99 from Sacramento South.

My math puts that at about $95K per charger! If you assume that the L2's are cheaper than the L3s, then its more like $125K for an L3 and 75K for an L2. That's a lot of money for a charger install! Not to mention the fact that they will make more money of the use of the charger.
2015 Leaf S w/QC Package. San Jose, CA
www.theevconsultant.com

edatoakrun

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:19 am

edatoakrun wrote:As I understand it, the CEC has given final approval and funding for the proposals below:...

The Northstate NRG sites are on the map below, ~exactly where they should be, IMO:

Orland, Willows, Williams, Dunnigan, Woodland, Yuba City

http://www.energy.ca.gov/drive/projects/map/index.html

A Red Bluff DC site is conspicuously absent, but maybe Chargepoint will be doing that installation, as the southernmost DC site in its Red Bluff-to-the-border I-5 grant. Only one of these CP DCs (Yreka) is on the map, as of now.

You Southerners may want to check out the progress on Central CA/Socal routes, same map.

edatoakrun

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 am

edatoakrun wrote:
A Red Bluff DC site is conspicuously absent, but maybe Chargepoint will be doing that installation, as the southernmost DC site in its Red Bluff-to-the-border I-5 grant. Only one of these CP DCs (Yreka) is on the map, as of now.

You Southerners may want to check out the progress on Central CA/Socal routes, same map.

DC Sites from Red bluff north to the Oregon border (Chargepoint) are now located on that map.

I've had no luck getting progress reports from the grant recipients, yet.

Anyone spotted any sign of construction at any of the sites?...

I was recently told by a well-informed source that the Redding CEC-funded Chargepoint DC site is officially under construction.

Sure enough, on Friday I saw the fenced off area at the south end of the Target parking lot, near Dana drive, as indicated.

I'll update as the site develops.

No word on progress for any of the other Upstate I-5 DC sites, but it might be worth checking them out next time you drive by.

Return to “Pacific USA”