User avatar
fbarbat
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 007638
Location: Orange County

Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Anyone went to Lake Arrowhead, or Running Springs or ... Big Bear with their Leaf??? Do you think I would be able to go 75 miles from my home to, let's say Big Bear, one way, charge it there level 2 over night and come back home the next day?

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12435
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

75 miles flat is a good trip.
Gaining 6000 or more feet will make it ... very difficult without charging.

Where will you charge up there?

A QC at the base of the mountain would REALLY help.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

User avatar
EricH
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0664
Location: Whittier, CA

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm

You should check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3512&p=107492&hilit=abasile#p107492

A forum member called 'abasile' lives up that way and has posted on his charge/climb/descent experiences, specifically through Arrowhead and Running Springs.
Blue SL with QC
A/V Charger
Delivery: 3/26/11

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9484
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:42 am

garygid wrote:A QC at the base of the mountain would REALLY help.


You mean at, maybe, oh I dunno.......a 7-Eleven:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4680

I don't know how rapidly their plans call for it's addition, but grabbing an 80% Quick Charge right there on Highway 18 before the climb would be just ideal!
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 74,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

User avatar
fbarbat
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 007638
Location: Orange County

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:13 am

garygid wrote:75 miles flat is a good trip.
Gaining 6000 or more feet will make it ... very difficult without charging.

Where will you charge up there?

A QC at the base of the mountain would REALLY help.


My friend's house (in Running Springs) has a 240V washer/dryer outlet there.

User avatar
abasile
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 am

EricH wrote:You should check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3512&p=107492&hilit=abasile#p107492

A forum member called 'abasile' lives up that way and has posted on his charge/climb/descent experiences, specifically through Arrowhead and Running Springs.

Yes, do check that thread. :D

The bottom line is that, to play it safe, I would recommend having at least seven or eight bars of charge when starting up CA-330 if your destination is Running Springs. And drive slowly (<= 40 mph). Both Fontana Nissan and Metro Nissan in Redlands have been willing to avail the LEAF community of their charging docks. Charging at that 7-Eleven in San Bernardino could also be a possibility. Drive slowly and gently on the freeways (55 or under) to minimize the additional charging time needed.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

User avatar
fbarbat
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 007638
Location: Orange County

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 pm

abasile wrote:
EricH wrote:You should check this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3512&p=107492&hilit=abasile#p107492

A forum member called 'abasile' lives up that way and has posted on his charge/climb/descent experiences, specifically through Arrowhead and Running Springs.

Yes, do check that thread. :D

The bottom line is that, to play it safe, I would recommend having at least seven or eight bars of charge when starting up CA-330 if your destination is Running Springs. And drive slowly (<= 40 mph). Both Fontana Nissan and Metro Nissan in Redlands have been willing to avail the LEAF community of their charging docks. Charging at that 7-Eleven in San Bernardino could also be a possibility. Drive slowly and gently on the freeways (55 or under) to minimize the additional charging time needed.


Thanks for the advice. So basically you are saying that if my trip from home (in Fullerton) to Running Springs , which is about 70 mile using 330, can not be done without charging somewhere in between, at least for a beginner like me (or let’s say for the first trip…) just driving “normal” 65 on FWY (57 and 210) and reasonably 40 going up on 330. Is that right?

User avatar
abasile
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:07 pm

fbarbat wrote:Thanks for the advice. So basically you are saying that if my trip from home (in Fullerton) to Running Springs , which is about 70 mile using 330, can not be done without charging somewhere in between, at least for a beginner like me (or let’s say for the first trip…) just driving “normal” 65 on FWY (57 and 210) and reasonably 40 going up on 330. Is that right?

Yes, that is right. From Fullerton, you would have the better part of 6000 feet of net elevation gain. Assuming the LEAF and driver weigh roughly 3500 pounds, basic physics tells us that you will need at least an additional 8 kWh or so of energy for the elevation gain, on top of the energy needed to drive 70 miles on flat land.

In other words, if over one third of a full charge is required for the 6000 feet of vertical travel, that only leaves less than two thirds of a full charge to go the horizontal distance, 70 miles. Theoretically that could be possible, but only with just the right conditions and some serious hypermiling.

My advice would be to stop at Metro Nissan in Redlands for more charge, and walk to one of the nearby restaurants while your car is dining on electrons.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

Eresku
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 pm
Delivery Date: 28 May 2018

Re: Trips to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead

Sun May 27, 2018 10:42 pm

I have a 2015 leaf with only 11k miles. I drove from woodcrest to lake gregory st and arrived with 23% battery left and 11miles left i. The guess o meter. Drove uphill at no more than 40 mph. I have to charge for 3 hours at a restahrNt on 110V to vet 40% on the battery and then went downhill all the way and i got 56% battery charge, enough to get back to woodcrest. I will never do it again. I cant never make it to lake arrowhead to get full charge there.

Return to “Pacific USA”