drees

Re: Two evgo Nissan fast chargers at Del Mar Whole Foods

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 pm

lonndoggie wrote:Ground floor, as you are just entering the structure, on the right. Two identical-looking tall units, one of which was fully assembled, but dark, and with the charger "nozzle" encased in a styrofoam block. The other was missing its front-panel, and its nozzle was, now that you mention it, probably a J1772--but it was also eVgo branded. The two were identical as far as branding and form-factor, but could house different guts, I reckon. I was so excited, I called the number to see how I could get a charge (I've yet to have a DC charge!), only to realize mid-call I was looking at an unfinished unit.

Do you enter via Flower Hill Rd? Have not seen the new construction there recently. That does sound slightly different than the typical eVgo install - no pics? Check out PlugShare for pics of the [url-http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/20774]Carlsbad Premium Outlets install[/url].

lonndoggie wrote:I'm thinking it might make trips downtown a bit easier--go down, come back to Del Mar and quick charge before going home.

Only 5-7 miles from Encinitas - so unless you are well under LBW you can probably skip it, though. Good for people who have to go further north, though, and about perfect distance from the San Juan Capistrano station (~44 mi).

lonndoggie wrote:I just wish they had a simple pay-per-charge model.

I think the only way to pay-per-charge is to call up each time at $9.99/pop?

lonndoggie wrote:In other news, across the street from my work three new GE Wattstations went in. The building owners (who also own our office complex) sent out a memo to all tenants letting us know that we could charge, for only $3.50/hr. Gaak!

Where are those? One can justify $3.50/hr at 30A, but only in an emergency at 16A.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

walterbays
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:51 am

lonndoggie wrote:I just wish they had a simple pay-per-charge model.
drees wrote:I think the only way to pay-per-charge is to call up each time at $9.99/pop?
There's no reason now not to take them up on their $7.95 one time fee for unlimited access for 60+ days. Verbally, but not in writing, they promise to extend that time period until they have a usable network built. Afterward if you don't subscribe you're left with an RFID card that gives you simple and easy pay-per-charge by swiping your card.

I wish they'd get a lot smarter about pricing before that time - maybe look at their tiny competitor EVoasis - and set their price at $10 for a full charge session but priced on a per minute basis. Else for typical charges their rates will be at the "Just-Drive-the-SUV" level, and people will be strongly encouraged to waste the scarcest resource in the EV world - quick charging facilities - by taking more than we need.

Or they might get smarter with additional levels of subscription plan. Even with sky high session prices I haven't been able to come up with any driving scenario for someone driving 20,000 miles/year or less in which paying $15/month is beneficial, except if you deliberately try to substitute evGo QC electricity for home electricity. More waste, more queuing.

davewill

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm

walterbays wrote:... Even with sky high session prices I haven't been able to come up with any driving scenario for someone driving 20,000 miles/year or less in which paying $15/month is beneficial, except if you deliberately try to substitute evGo QC electricity for home electricity. More waste, more queuing.
Which is what they really want. They want people to contract them to install their home EVSE and pay them a monthly fee for using both it and public charging. It seems that includes the electricity cost. Not a very attractive business model. I've been dreading them moving into CA simply because the payment model is unusable.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

davewill

Re: San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:47 pm

I happened to drive past the Blinks at 10455 Reserve Dr, San Diego (4S Commons), and both units there have big stickers over their entire faces that say they are out of order. Considering the custom stickers, it seems unlikely that it's a temporary outage. Anyone have any info?

Quick check, they've dropped off the Blink Map. Not listed there at all. I guess the site owner has decided to get rid of them.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

drees

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 am

davewill wrote:I happened to drive past the Blinks at 10455 Reserve Dr, San Diego (4S Commons), and both units there have big stickers over their entire faces that say they are out of order. Considering the custom stickers, it seems unlikely that it's a temporary outage. Anyone have any info?

Quick check, they've dropped off the Blink Map. Not listed there at all. I guess the site owner has decided to get rid of them.

Down for about two months now according to PlugShare: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/9294

pchilds
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 006141

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am

Someone on Plugshare reported a DCQC at the Temecula, CA Nissan dealer.
2011 LEAF, gone,
2012 RAV4 EV,
2015 Model S 85D,
Solar PV 5.25 kW system.

Graffi
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414757

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 pm

pchilds wrote:Someone on Plugshare reported a DCQC at the Temecula, CA Nissan dealer.

I just logged onto Plugshare to update the Fashion Valley NRG/EvGo Status and saw that there was a DCQC at the dealer there in Temecula. We used that dealer twice in one day, 1.5 hours each on the L2. I am so happy they have an L3 now. It will make our trips much quicker.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to update PlugShare? I am logged on, but do not know how to add to the listing. I found out this morning that the Mall Security will come unlock the lot with the NRG L3 if you call them after hours at 619-299-2428. So now it really is 24/7. As it stands, security locks a chain across the entrance to the lot after hours.
2013 SL Metalic Slate - We LOVE our Leaf
MFG 08/13 Dlv 09/06/13 @ 10 mi
# 77 100 mile club
# 10 200 km club

2017 Tesla S 75D Pearl White
Delivered 5/16/17 @ 900 mi
Tesla Model 3 on order awaiting 200+ mile range Nissan Leaf

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:58 am

Getting a fast charge at the new up and running eVgo Del Norte Freedom Station (330 El Norte Parkway in Escondido). It has the usual Nissan DC FC, one Level 2 port, and expansion space for a future SAE Combo unit...The transformer feeding the station (and other businesses) was upgraded last weekend to provide more capacity...

More Freedom Stations to come in a few days...

drees

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 am

Randy wrote:More Freedom Stations to come in a few days...

I'm guessing those are:
Rancho Penasquitos Towne Center
Diane Village Shopping Center

I like the way most of the eVgo installs let the QC station reach multiple parking spots. The L2 plug could be a bit more ideally situated for the Escondido install, though. At least it will reach two spots easily.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Another NRG eVgo Freedom Station opens in San Diego at the SDG&E Energy Innovation Center at 4760 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. It is a few blocks west of I-805...This station is an example of the great cooperation achieved between all the parties, including NRG eVgo, the landlord, nearby businesses (including the Starbucks), and the utility. The transformer had to be upgraded to accommodate the installation, and it currently has the standard complement of a Nissan DC Fast Charging station, one Level 2 charging station, and is wired for the future expansion of another DC FC when the SAE Combo trigger is met in the settlement...

This installation represents the 7th Freedom Station installation in San Diego. Others include Fashion Valley, Las Americas, Broadway Plaza, Del Mar Flower Hill, Carlsbad Outlet, and Del Norte...As always, more units in the pipeline....

Return to “Pacific USA”