GRA

Re: San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:47 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Guys, there *is* a 120 volt plug that he took a picture of... the NEMA 14-50. It is 120 volt from each hot to neutral.

Sure, but given the OP's lack of familiarity with wiring I wasn't going to mention the cheap, quick and dirty way to make an adapter to him, as if he tried it himself I figured he had a 50% chance of frying his $700 EVSE. But if you've got one to sell, then by all means. I'd still look around the school for a regular 5-15 or 5-20 outlet so he wouldn't even need the adapter, one located where it doesn't require running an extension cord across a walkway to the car.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

lkkms2
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:41 am

I had my Leaf serviced today (Friday, Aug 23) at the Mossy Nissan dealership in San Diego on Claremont Mesa Blvd (west of and closer to 163, east of 805 fwy)

To my surprise my service person pointed out that a DCQC had just been installed. It was located just outside in the parking lot where you pull in to be serviced. I had passed it coming in but had not noticed it. He indicated they had a fob which was needed to activate it. He offered/asked if I needed a charge, but I declined as I did not really need one to get home.

Once, a year before, on a Sunday I had gotten an L2 charge at their dealership lot next door where they sell cars by calling ahead. Since the Service Center is not opened on Sundays I asked how would I get a DCQC charge if I came by then. He indicated there was an 800 number that could be called to activate the charging. Also that the Car Sales lot next door (that is open on Sunday) has a fob to activate the charger.

I went outside to take a look. It seemed to have power (the fans were blowing for some reason). But hearing the problems that others have mentioned at some locations, I will have to go back and actually test to see how easy it is to find a person with the fob and test the 800 number as well.
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

cbiwww
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3382

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 am

Just to follow up on my question about charging from the rv outlet: the teaching job fell through due to low enrollment (they were at their minimum and then one of the students dropped out at the last minute).

But thanks to Guy, Walter and Tony for the time you took to reply! There's a chance I'll be teaching there in the future, in which case I'll give Tony a call.
Craig Bentley
[url]imageworks.tv[/url]
Solar-powered Black SL + QC
Res: 4/20/10 Delivered: 5/19/11

ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:49 pm

The two Blink EVSEs at Claire's on Cedros, 246 North Cedros Avenue, Solana Beach, CA 92075, are "out of order" currently. My wife was unable to charge there today. The people in Claire's told her "the Blink people have not paid the bill." What's up with that? Ecotality going belly up is going to shut down the network when owners don't receive their reimbursements from the Blink network? :evil:

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

drees

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:28 pm

ttweed wrote:The people in Claire's told her "the Blink people have not paid the bill."

Paid what bill? Blink hasn't paid Claire's their share of the revenue so Claire's shut them off depriving potential customers of a charge (something that might cost Claires a buck or two when breakfast/lunch is going to cost a customer $10-15? and if they brought a friend...) Blink hasn't paid utility bill and SDG&E cut the power? Doesn't make sense...

Either way - make sure you note that they are down on Plugshare/Recargo...
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:36 am

Most installations are connected to house power (including this one). A relatively small percentage have a separate electrical service where ECOtality would pay the utility bill directly.

ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 am

drees wrote:Paid what bill? Blink hasn't paid Claire's their share of the revenue...?
That's the idea I got from what I was told. When I called Blink support, they couldn't verify whether there was a problem with the reimbursement check to them, but were going to "look into it."

...so Claire's shut them off depriving potential customers of a charge (something that might cost Claires a buck or two when breakfast/lunch is going to cost a customer $10-15? and if they brought a friend...)
Maybe the owner got tired of paying the utility bill with no support from Blink? If he couldn't get a satisfactory answer from their accounting department, maybe he figured some pissed-off Blink users might complain and get some movement out of them? I'm guessing here, but the lack of a charger did not stop my wife and her sister from eating there still--not sure how many customers they will lose. There's another charging station right down the street at the city admin building...

Either way - make sure you note that they are down on Plugshare/Recargo...

Thanks, I forgot about them. I reported it to Blink and they took them off their map, but I don't usually use plugshare and didn't think of that. Placed a comment there yesterday.

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

drees

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:18 pm

ttweed wrote:
drees wrote:Paid what bill? Blink hasn't paid Claire's their share of the revenue...?
That's the idea I got from what I was told. When I called Blink support, they couldn't verify whether there was a problem with the reimbursement check to them, but were going to "look into it."
...so Claire's shut them off depriving potential customers of a charge (something that might cost Claires a buck or two when breakfast/lunch is going to cost a customer $10-15? and if they brought a friend...)
Maybe the owner got tired of paying the utility bill with no support from Blink?

I guess I just can't understand that a host would be willing to install charging stations, but wouldn't be willing to keep them available for what must be a piddly amount of money compared to revenue brought in by the stations. I imagine that quite a bit of business has been brought there because of them.

I doubt that they even notice a change in their electricity bill due to the charging stations on their commercial account (restaurants tend to have fairly high utility bills) given the relatively low usage of public charging stations.

Of course - I'm probably biased.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

gatedad11
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2012

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:23 am

Is there any real reason why a retailer wouldn't just install a Level II charging station unrelated to any "Network", make it free or low cost for customers, and to heck with all the various providers who come in, take huge government money and then piss it all down the drain? For all the use the stations get, I wonder if there would be any real outlay except for the initial cost to wire a 240V line outside, put in a unit and install it(almost like a home based unit). Maybe in San Diego and elsewhere in SoCal there is a need for dedicated commercial quality Level II's, but I have my doubts. Certainly would be cheaper than what seems to be going on...$100 million in taxpayers money, lots of promises and then we are left with no viable network(hence inoperable chargers, at least that's what seems to be on the horizon for Blink/Ecotality).
Lou

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:55 am

gatedad11 wrote:Is there any real reason why a retailer wouldn't just install a Level II charging station unrelated to any "Network", make it free or low cost for customers, and to heck with all the various providers who come in, take huge government money and then piss it all down the drain? For all the use the stations get, I wonder if there would be any real outlay except for the initial cost to wire a 240V line outside, put in a unit and install it(almost like a home based unit). Maybe in San Diego and elsewhere in SoCal there is a need for dedicated commercial quality Level II's, but I have my doubts. Certainly would be cheaper than what seems to be going on...$100 million in taxpayers money, lots of promises and then we are left with no viable network(hence inoperable chargers, at least that's what seems to be on the horizon for Blink/Ecotality).
Lou

Lou, I think it comes down to equipment and installation costs, as well as the loss of parking places (if they are marked EV only).

Depending on the installation, it could cost $10-15K for a couple of L2's. Costs could go higher if anything special has to be done with the ADA parking in the existing lot to be compliant. But in my experience, the parking place loss is actually the biggest deal to many hosts. Especially if you only have 20 or 30 spots. That's like giving up 10% of your parking for the stations and they are not used all that much right now (although we all hope that will increase).

There is a federal tax break available for the installation, and that helps a little bit, but it's still a tough sell right now...The ongoing costs aren't as much, but it's still a few 10's of bucks per month...You have to have a pretty dedicated owner / sponsor who would want to spend their own money to make it happen...

Return to “Pacific USA”